Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone bottled the original recipe of Apfelwein? Would like to carbonate, but is it safe in bottles stored at 55-65 deg?

Im sure its in the 600+ pages but only read first 150...I'll get to the end eventually but figured someone knew and could post....Didn't get an answer on either post, so I tossed in an extra packet of yeast since I had six gallons of juice...hopefully overkill is better than under..

Still..surely somebody knows about carbing with bottles...Is it safe without cooling?

This stuff better be good after 600+ pages of people raving about it...Hoot..

Im sure its in the 600+ pages but only read first 150...I'll get to the end eventually but figured someone knew and could post....Didn't get an answer on either post, so I tossed in an extra packet of yeast since I had six gallons of juice...hopefully overkill is better than under..

Still..surely somebody knows about carbing with bottles...Is it safe without cooling?

It's a big "gotcha" thread. After a year you will be in on the 'joke' and be baiting the noobs. :rockin:

:D

This seemed like an easy recipe and I am a noob, so I threw it together tonight. I used Murray's cider, montrachet and dextrose. I live in a rural area, so finding the dextrose was hard.

Bump and Thanks Ed!

Ed says to prime just like beer. After reading all 605 pages, I do not recall any warnings about conditioning at higher temperatures. As far as how it tastes, mine is still aging, 4.5 months, yes I need to get it bottled.

4569-ApfelweinBench.jpg

If you want to bottle and carbonate, ¾ cup of corn sugar will work fine. Use as you would carbonate a batch of beer.

Revvy says to bottle condition at 70 degrees, post # 8. Later in this thread is a discussion on why you want at least the seventy degrees.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Post # 229

Is there a problem with slightly higher temps for conditioning? Our house is typically 75-80 during the warm summer months. Cooling down to 70 or even 72 would cost $$$$$.

I don't mind putting together a fermentor chiller to and keeping it iced for the 3-4 weeks of primary, but I'd really rather not have to keep up with that for 8 weeks.

Post # 230

No there's no need to do that. It just mean more than likely your beer would be done a little sooner, which is not a problem at all.

Tried it out of the bottling bucket this stuff was terrible but after being in the bottle for a week it gets better.....i have 2 cases aging so hopefully it gets even better with time

We made a batch of apfelwein early in December using some unfiltered locally-pressed apple juice (which was delicious even pre-yeast), and pitched two packs of Montrachet for some reason. We used a 5-gal glass carboy filled to near the top, and ended up with a lot of foaming and blowoff. I had to switch airlocks because the first one was so badly contaminated with krauesen.

It came out fine (and I was able to rescue the poor nasty airlock), but unfiltered juice *can* krauesen.

Would it be ok to make 2 1/2 gallons of this in a 5g carboy? If so, should I botle and bottle condition for the bulk of conditioning?

Would it be ok to make 2 1/2 gallons of this in a 5g carboy? If so, should I botle and bottle condition for the bulk of conditioning?

I believe I read earlier that the only problem with not using the whole carboy is that you are wasting half a carboy that could be being used to make apfelwein. Someone else will need to tell you about conditioning, my first just started bubbling last night.

Thanks for the reply guys..Much appreciated.

Also, these "rhino" farts are for real. I am quite shocked at the smell. I mixed it on Friday and Sunday morning, I could smell it quite strongly...

Its in a closet in a room and its strong smelling outside of that room. Hard to imagine drinking it with such a smell. I know its part of the process..but its bad..:)

It does smell as if it came from the lower bowels of Hell at first, but after sufficient time aging, it is a truly delicious beverage...

BEWARE OF IT though... It ain't beer... Treat it accordingly....

Good luck!
:mug:

I mixed up batch #2 today. It should make for a crisp, refreshing beverage come this summer, lol.

Wow.... Quicker than I recall.... Then again, I have been sick as a dog all week and just finally had a chance to drink some beer.... 3 Happy Endings, two Lienenkugel Nut Browns and a few homebrews later, I couldn't recall where my car keys are at the moment...

It's been a bit over 24 hours since I made my first batch of apfelwein.....startin to get some apple gas in the blow off water.

But I'm really excited. :mug:

So I took a sample bottle of my first batch of this stuff to my LHBS to let the owner and his wife try it. I'd told him that I was going to be testing the recipe and he seemed very interested, so I brought in a sample. This was on the 16th, so that means it would have been going for just under 2 months (started the batch 11/20). Everyone who tried a sample (went through a whole 16oz EZ cap for about 6 people) thought it was excellent.

Ed, you're the man. This stuff is now in permanent rotation by demand of all of my roommates, SWMBO, and most of my friends who've tried it.

I've unleashed a monster!

:D :mug: :tank:

Or ignore it, the vodka won't HURT it.

I noticed that you brewed a couple batches (via your vids on youtube) of Ed's apfelwein.

In particular what'd you think of the original recipe vs. the one you used with brown sugar and the raspberry/apple juice mixer?

I ask because I did a similar batch for my first edition of apfelwein...she's been fermenting for 10 days now and still going strong (however, down from 1.050 to 1.021 in 5 days).

I noticed that you brewed a couple batches (via your vids on youtube) of Ed's apfelwein.

In particular what'd you think of the original recipe vs. the one you used with brown sugar and the raspberry/apple juice mixer?

I ask because I did a similar batch for my first edition of apfelwein...she's been fermenting for 10 days now and still going strong (however, down from 1.050 to 1.021 in 5 days).

I liked the first one a lot, but the second one turned out a touch sweeter with more of a spice flavor (I put three cinnomon sticks in for the last week.) The raspberry didn't show through at all, but I only used a half gallon. Maybe with a full gallon of raspberry it will be closer. I am currently doing one with 1.5 gallons of pomogranite and 1.5 lbs of brown sugar, no cinnomon. I will report back how it turns out. Thanks for watching my videos.

I liked the first one a lot, but the second one turned out a touch sweeter with more of a spice flavor (I put three cinnomon sticks in for the last week.) The raspberry didn't show through at all, but I only used a half gallon. Maybe with a full gallon of raspberry it will be closer. I am currently doing one with 1.5 gallons of pomogranite and 1.5 lbs of brown sugar, no cinnomon. I will report back how it turns out. Thanks for watching my videos.

No problem...I came close to putting one cinnamon stick in there, but I backed off at the last minute out of fear that it'd be too spicy...I'll let you know how the organic batch turns out.

Anyone happen to know if the color of the bottle you use for appfelwein makes a difference? (I obviously plan on storing it in the dark, though I could see it being drunk outdoors)

Anyone happen to know if the color of the bottle you use for appfelwein makes a difference? (I obviously plan on storing it in the dark, though I could see it being drunk outdoors)

Nope. Hops and UV are the evil exposure. But, all things tasty should be in a shady, darkened area. Any bottle should do.

Thanks. I found some cobalt blue bottles that I thought would be cool to bottle my apfelwein in, but I would hate to use bottles that would have ruined it.

I just started drinking my 9 month old Apfelwein (didn't use corn sugar in this batch) and I must say it smells pretty foul but the taste is starting to grow on me a bit (first glass). I mixed with 1/3 sprite for starters but for this batch at least I think I need to use less sprite since it waters the taste a lot.

The good news is I also have a 9 month old keg of standard 8% Apfelwein tucked into a corner aging even more.

Edit: I can now understand all the hangover threads. It just tastes good and smooth and oddly refreshing that I end up taking large gulps instead of small drinks like normal. Too bad I have to work tonight, I could see myself drinking this all day. I must say though, the smell is still a bit off-putting (pre-Sprite, sprite tones the odor down imo) I think I'm going to have to make a few more kegs because I can see this becoming my nightly drink.

This stuff is pure evil. Beware. You have been warned. Tastes good though.....

My 5 gallons have been fermenting in a Lowe's bucket for about 5 weeks now. I don't own a secondary to move it to. Should I go ahead and bottle or am I ok to leave it in the Lowe's bucket? If so (to Lowe's), how long is too long in this type of vessel?

My 5 gallons have been fermenting in a Lowe's bucket for about 5 weeks now. I don't own a secondary to move it to. Should I go ahead and bottle or am I ok to leave it in the Lowe's bucket? If so (to Lowe's), how long is too long in this type of vessel?

I can't say for sure, but I've read that plastic will allow some O2 to infiltrate. How this will affect the "wien" i Don't know. I left mine in a Better Bottle for about 3 months, and now it's caronating in a keg. All I can say is it is evil. BEWARE. It probably woudn't hurt to bottle it if you are sure it's done fermenting.

I can't say for sure, but I've read that plastic will allow some O2 to infiltrate. How this will affect the "wien" i Don't know. I left mine in a Better Bottle for about 3 months, and now it's caronating in a keg. All I can say is it is evil. BEWARE. It probably woudn't hurt to bottle it if you are sure it's done fermenting.
yeah, the O2 issue was the main thing I was referring to. A better bottle is much thicker than a utility bucket I would imagine. maybe I should bottle...

haha, yep. I believe you have the same sig over there too, don't you? :mug:

wanna buy my tank? I need $$ for beer! (or brew supplies, really). I can't afford both of these hobbies!

Yeah..same sig...love beer.

Great Big NO on the tank. I practically gave my stuff away on craigslist

Did it do ok in the Lowes bucket? I've got several of those, but just not for fermenting.

Did it do ok in the Lowes bucket? I've got several of those, but just not for fermenting.
I don't know yet how it will turn out. Won't know for some time.

As far as using Lowe's (or the more common Home Depot "Homer") buckets for fermenting, you'll find it's a debated topic. I don't want to get into it here. search "home depot bucket" or "homer bucket" and you'll find more than you want to read about it.

my 2 cents: many are concerned about the red dye used in homer buckets, so to play it safe I went with a Lowe's bucket which is the same thing but gray in color. drill a 1/2" hole in the lid, insert grommet from LHBS for <$1, insert air lock and you have a fermenter. since apfelwein doesn't produce krausen there's no problem with filling the bucket to the top.

Only time well tell how well this works for me. maybe someone who's used one of these buckets for apfelwein will chime in...

Are those food safe? I'm new and that seems to be the only thing with buckets. My apfelwein is in a bucket that came with my kit. I have beer in my only 2 carboys. I actually like the buckets better for beer..

that's a big part of the debate about them, but we should probably keep that debate out of this already massive thread. search "home depot bucket" and you'll find plenty of info, pro and con.

Your right..keep it out here..I do have one I use for bottling, but its not in the bucket very long.

I have a question regarding air contamination.

I am on week 2 of my fermentation and the airlock has been bubbling away. Two days ago I noticed it just totally stopped. I assumed it was done fermenting. Upon further inspection I noticed the bung that I forced (very tight) into my plastic bottling bucket was too big and cracked the side of the hole for the bung. It is about 2 inches long and 1cm wide. Obviously air is going out and coming in through this hole. I just duct taped it up, but is my Apfelwein contaminated now?

Note: I have 6 gallons of apple juice in an 8gal bottling bucket, if that matters.

Back