Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if this was mentioned already...

If you're priming and bottling apfelwein does it need to carb and condition in the bottle as long as beer (3+ weeks)?

My first batch is going to be ready for bottling next weekend and I am dying to try it out. So basically I'd like to know how much longer should I expect to wait once I bottle. Thanks

Sorry if this was mentioned already...

If you're priming and bottling apfelwein does it need to carb and condition in the bottle as long as beer (3+ weeks)?

Yes, same as beer. As with beer, if you can be even more patient, it will pay off with a smoother and generally better beverage. At the very least, hide some of it away for later...and get your next batch started!

I am hoping to keg and force carb the first batch I made this Sat. so it will be ready for my brothers house warming party on the 21st.
It was made on March 4th and the only tastes I took from the carboy were on 2 gravity tests.
I started a second batch late May (yeah, I know I waited too long) but this time will start a new one asap.

Now comes the wait. I made a case of traditional Apfelwein and a case using pear juice and a little sugar to prime and add a little sweetness.

Big Dan T.
I hope that you are aware that the yeast that consumes the sugar that you have added to prime will consume ALL of the sugar that you have added. Unless you are pushing the 18% Range, that yeast will convert any sugar you put in there. It doesn't know that you want it to be sweet. I have spent many hours trying to convince yeast to only consume the amount of sugar I want and leave me a sweet beverage, but I think all the alcohol has damaged their hearing.:cross:

Big Dan T.
I hope that you are aware that the yeast that consumes the sugar that you have added to prime will consume ALL of the sugar that you have added. Unless you are pushing the 18% Range, that yeast will convert any sugar you put in there. It doesn't know that you want it to be sweet. I have spent many hours trying to convince yeast to only consume the amount of sugar I want and leave me a sweet beverage, but I think all the alcohol has damaged their hearing.:cross:
The extra sugar was more for priming then adding sweetness I hope the pear juice will add a little sweetness. If not it will be knock or sox’s of cider.

Ed, I thought I would give you a quick report. I gave a couple bottles to a friend of the family that is native German. Although she grew up with it called Apfelmost she was quite impressed with the product and is excited to get more.

P.S. You have now made wikipedia
" Apfelwein has become popular in the homebrewing community recently because of its relative ease of production and pleasant taste. The recipe typically involves 5 gallons of apple juice with dextrose added to increase alcohol content, then fermented for one month using wine yeast such as montrachet."

I made my first batch of apfelwein for my wedding rehersal dinner, I started it on April 27, and it is June 11, and still bubbling slightly. Will it settle out soon? If not can i go ahead and keg it because the rehersal is next friday (june 20). That would have given it.

bubbling isn't always a sign of fermentation. I would bet at 2 months it is just outgassing and your safe to keg.

Ok I bottled my apfelwein 3 days ago and it was very clear. I took a peak in the case today and found that there seems to be something growing inside. I opened a bottle and put it into a glass to get a better picture. Please help me identify what has happen.

If you cant see the image I have it in my gallery.
showphoto.php

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10353&cat=all&ppuser=9427

I did use concentrate for priming.

Ok I bottled my apfelwein 3 days ago and it was very clear. I took a peak in the case today and found that there seems to be something growing inside. I opened a bottle and put it into a glass to get a better picture. Please help me identify what has happen.

If you cant see the image I have it in my gallery.
showphoto.php

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10353&cat=all&ppuser=9427

I did use concentrate for priming.

That's pretty Yuck. Did you drop some of your dinner roll in it? I'ts Apfelwein Ya know...Not Gravy. :D

Did you sanitize your concentrate at all? I would hope that it settles out, but that's pretty ugly. Does it taste ok?

That's pretty Yuck. Did you drop some of your dinner roll in it? I'ts Apfelwein Ya know...Not Gravy. :D

Did you sanitize your concentrate at all? I would hope that it settles out, but that's pretty ugly. Does it taste ok?

I didn't sanatize the concentrate I Just unthawed it and added it to the bottling bucket. As for the dinner roll my wife thought I spit a hawker in it:D

It doesn't taste bad just looks terrible.

Leaving apfelwein sweeter and not as dry? is it possible to add some potassium sorbate once you get a gravity that will still be a bit on the sweet side.

It doesn't taste bad just looks terrible.

You know the theory around here...Don't dump it unless it makes you want to puke....and then only after proper aging.
I wouldn't think that it's a big deal that you didn't sanitize your concentrait. the 8 or so % abv should kill most of the buggies...and I would think it should be pretty clean. Seeing as how they intend you to drink it and all.

Maybe it'll settle out in the bottle.:mug:

You know the theory around here...Don't dump it unless it makes you want to puke....and then only after proper aging.
I wouldn't think that it's a big deal that you didn't sanitize your concentrait. the 8 or so % abv should kill most of the buggies...and I would think it should be pretty clean. Seeing as how they intend you to drink it and all.

Maybe it'll settle out in the bottle.:mug:

I've seen stuff like that with some white wines and it settles but then you racket and let it settle more.

If it does stay tasting goog I might have to run it through a filter and serve it out of a pitcher into dark glasses:cool:

I've been slowly chipping away at this thread for a while now. I'm a little over half way through, but I'm determined to read every last post on this subject.

I've never lost my yen for Apple Korn, which I discovered in Germany while pulling a hitch in the Army back in 1987. But, living in a dry county, surrounded by dry counties, my memories have long been all I have had left of Apple Korn. This stuff sounds like it may be just as good though, if not better!

This thread has got me pretty stoked about building some of this!

However, I am not much of a drinker myself, I hate beer, but enjoy an occasional glass of wine, and 5 gallons of this would be a ton for me alone. If this stuff is as good as this thread seems to indicate, I'd love to share this, but with a lot of my friends and family diabetics, I don't want to be the one to tempt anyone into something that they may want a lot more of, and which may negatively impact their health.

With just the activity that this thread alone has generated, I'm thinking that before to much longer AA may be having to modify their name to AAA by adding another A for Apfelwien.

Does anyone here have any guidelines to use for this stuff if diabetic?

Thanks for re-kindling some fond memories,

Pogo

I've been slowly chipping away at this thread for a while now. I'm a little over half way through, but I'm determined to read every last post on this subject.

I've never lost my yen for Apple Korn, which I discovered in Germany while pulling a hitch in the Army back in 1987. But, living in a dry county, surrounded by dry counties, my memories have long been all I have had left of Apple Korn. This stuff sounds like it may be just as good though, if not better!

This thread has got me pretty stoked about building some of this!

However, I am not much of a drinker myself, I hate beer, but enjoy an occasional glass of wine, and 5 gallons of this would be a ton for me alone. If this stuff is as good as this thread seems to indicate, I'd love to share this, but with a lot of my friends and family diabetics, I don't want to be the one to tempt anyone into something that they may want a lot more of, and which may negatively impact their health.

With just the activity that this thread alone has generated, I'm thinking that before to much longer AA may be having to modify their name to AAA by adding another A for Apfelwien.

Does anyone here have any guidelines to use for this stuff if diabetic?

Thanks for re-kindling some fond memories,

Pogo

I have some experience with that.
My mother, several co-workers and LOTS of friends are Diabetic.
The sugar is not as big of an issue with Apfelwein as it is with beer. Beer has a LOT of carbohydrates that raise blood sugar levels, where as Apfelwein is mostly water and alcohol. All of the Sugar has been converted, and there is not much carbohydrates or simple sugars left. The problem with drinking and diabetes is that "Buzz" often feels a lot like low blood sugar at first, and that causes you to eat some sugar, in turn your blood sugar spikes, then more insulin to bring it down, but the alcohol takes it too low.
The trick is EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. I do not know a diabetic that would not be just fine with a 4 or 6 ounce glass of apfelwein. By the same measure, Even the heartiest biggest rough and tumble lumberjack Oil Rigger will have issues if he doesn't mind his apfelwein.

Just for the record... I'm 30 years old, I am 6'3" tall weigh a mere 320#. I work with cows and truck and bulls and tractors....and Apflewein can make me cry like a little girl.

Hi there everyone. I'm looking at getting into home brewing, and I'm gonna go with the conventional wisdom and fire up a batch of Apfelwein. However, I only have one gallon containers, and I'd like to keep it that way (cramped college apartment lifestyle and all that). I did a quick search for a one gallon recipe on here, to no avail.

I seem to remember the 5 gram yeast packets are good for wine batches from 1-5 gallons, right? Should I just 1/5th all the ingredients and use a whole yeast packet? Is there anything remarkably different about preparing smaller batches?

I apologize in advance. I'm guessing this question has been asked a BAJILLION times, but I honestly did try to find some discussion!

No you should be fine just scaling everything down. One Gallon apple juice and 6.4oz of dextrose. And I think 2.1grams of yeast.

Whoo Hoo, I got selected to be one of the judges for Style 28, Specialty Cider and Perry (Which includes Apple Wine). It will be nice to see how they compare with year old Apfelwein.

Whoo Hoo, I got selected to be one of the judges for Style 28, Specialty Cider and Perry (Which includes Apple Wine). It will be nice to see how they compare with year old Apfelwein.

Sounds like fun!!! Congrats

I just bottled my first apfelwine this moring. I had only made a half a batch (2.5 gallons, 1 lbs dextrose, yeast, & 4+ weeks in the fermenter). I had planned on carbing when I bottled so I went ahead with that. However, I am concerned about bottle bombs. I mean when I was filling the bottles the apfelwine appeared to have a lot of tiny bubbles in it.

For the record I primed using Coopers Carb tabs. It was early this morning when I bottled, I was still tired, my batch was only a half a batch, I happened to have just enough carb tabs for the batch, and the only priming sugar I had is already slated to be used when I bottle my raspberry wheat tonight. I can think of some other excuses for having use carb tabs but really I was just lazy and didn't want to wait to get more for bottling the wheat.

Are all those tiny bubbles normal when bottling apfelwine?

Has anyone had problems with apfelwine bottle bombs?

Has anyone used carb tabs to carb their apfelwine?

I just bottled my first apfelwine this moring. I had only made a half a batch (2.5 gallons, 1 lbs dextrose, yeast, & 4+ weeks in the fermenter). I had planned on carbing when I bottled so I went ahead with that. However, I am concerned about bottle bombs. I mean when I was filling the bottles the apfelwine appeared to have a lot of tiny bubbles in it.

For the record I primed using Coopers Carb tabs. It was early this morning when I bottled, I was still tired, my batch was only a half a batch, I happened to have just enough carb tabs for the batch, and the only priming sugar I had is already slated to be used when I bottle my raspberry wheat tonight. I can think of some other excuses for having use carb tabs but really I was just lazy and didn't want to wait to get more for bottling the wheat.

Are all those tiny bubbles normal when bottling apfelwine?

Has anyone had problems with apfelwine bottle bombs?

Same thing happened when I bottled mine. Basically, the apfelwein coming out of the fermentor is a bit carbonated from fermentation, but not enough to cause problems or even really taste carbonated. I used the normal dose of priming sugar, and it came out great. I can only assume yours will, too.

ok so today was bottling day for a white wine I made and I figured I have the sanitizer made why not take a hydrometer reading/tasting of my apfelwein. It's 4 wks 5 days since brewday exact recipe (5g motts, 2lb dextrose, 1 pkt montrachet) Starting to clear but still cloudy, slightly tart very nice flavor @1.000. The funny thing is, my mother-in-law was over when I was bottling and of course she had a taste of the white wine and loved it, but when she tasted the apfelwein a little while later she made a face and said, "Its ok." (She wasn't very convincing). So I ask, what don't you like? and she takes another sip and says, "It's a little strong, not like the wine." So I tell her the wine is stronger 11% instead of 8.5%. So she takes another sip and now there's a big smile on her face w/ a little chuckle and says, "the more I sip the better it tastes." She takes another sip and says, "Yea after 3 sips the flavor grows on you." I laughed and told her about the 3 glass rule (which she did not know). As someone stated earlier I think the 3 glass rule needs to be changed to the 3 sip rule (at least in this family). :tank:

I came up with an amazing cocktail:

2 parts apfelwein
1 part St. Germain (elderflower liqueur)

Serve in a white wine glass over a slice of green apple and top with sparkling mineral water

I served these at a party this past weekend and let me tell you I should have brought more than 2 litres of apfelwein. Also, proven panty remover.

I carbed my first batch of apfelwein with Munton's Carb Tabs which sucked, I still drank it but it was basically still for the first 4 weeks then it finally got very slightly carbed. I dunno about the Cooper's Carb Tabs, hope you have better luck.

My first apfelwein batch is done and very well received.

My SWMBO and I decided to split the batch 1/2 carbed, 1/2 still. We both really enjoyed it still (the wine-snob in-laws did as well). After 9 days I couldn't stand myself anymore and had to try the one of the carbed bottles. It's not quite there yet, but I think I'm definitely going to like it carbonated.

Both types are clear, have a great apple aroma, and it has a very clean and crisp taste. The "3 sip" rule mentioned above definitely applied at my house too. 3 sips and you're hooked. Guess it's time to head back to Sam's Club for more apple juice.

Thanks Ed! Great recipe! :mug:

Whew!!!

I've just finished reading all 343 pages of this thread. I feel like a college grad must feel. Well educated on a subject, but with zero experience dealing with it!

This will be my first time to 'brew' anything more than coffee or tea.

When it's time to bottle, and you have syphoned all but the last few inches at the bottom of the carboy, do you stop here and toss the very last of it, or do you rig a filter some way, and attempt to catch every last drop through the lees.

And, if I wanted to re-pitch this same yeast cake, won't it be all disturbed and smeared/stuck to the walls of the carboy by the racking process, or will it be pretty much glued to the bottom? How would my steps differ, than if I were to just clean the carboy and pitch anew?

I've studied the steps at jackkellerdotcom, but he doesn't spell it out too clearly for me.

Thanks for any help.

Pogo

Whew!!!

I've just finished reading all 343 pages of this thread. I feel like a college grad must feel. Well educated on a subject, but with zero experience dealing with it!

This will be my first time to 'brew' anything more than coffee or tea.

When it's time to bottle, and you have syphoned all but the last few inches at the bottom of the carboy, do you stop here and toss the very last of it, or do you rig a filter some way, and attempt to catch every last drop through the lees.

And, if I wanted to re-pitch this same yeast cake, won't it be all disturbed and smeared/stuck to the walls of the carboy by the racking process, or will it be pretty much glued to the bottom? How would my steps differ, than if I were to just clean the carboy and pitch anew?

I've studied the steps at jackkellerdotcom, but he doesn't spell it out too clearly for me.

Thanks for any help.

Pogo

This recipe was my first attempt at brewing anything myself and what a way to start it is! I started my first batch beginning of March and now have that very same batch under pressure being force carbed in time for a party this weekend. Also have picked up lots of equipment and have brewed a few beers in this time as well. Welcome to the passion/obsession!

:mug:

To give my opinion on your questions...

I toss the last bit instead of worrying about getting every drop out. Tilting the carboy a bit helps get more out, but I don't stress leaving some liquid behind.

The cost of a pack of Montrachet should be around $1 so I find I'd rather just start fresh than reuse the yeast cake.

Good luck!

I toss the last bit instead of worrying about getting every drop out. Tilting the carboy a bit helps get more out, but I don't stress leaving some liquid behind.

You will be delighted by the Clarity of this stuff, do not jeopardized it for what will end up less than a cup (if you use a racking cane)

If for some odd reason you decide to pitch onto the cake...Shake the hell out of your carboy when you get the first gallon of juice in there to oxygenate it. Make the rest the way you normally would.

Yeah..I used an auto siphon from primary straight to keg last week. The hydrometer sample looked pretty clear...much clearer than one would think looking at the carboy full lol! Can't wait to see what the carb does to this stuff.

Thanks guys,

I appreciate your input. I'm thinking that it is still gonna be a bigger hassle than you seem to indicate.

Is using an auto-syphon the way to go, or is just dangling a length of tubing and then using it like a bong just as effective?

Pogo

Is using an auto-syphon the way to go, or is just dangling a length of tubing and then using it like a bong just as effective?

Pogo

For the money involved in getting a racking cane, I will NEVER try and rack without one again. I get them like 5 at a time so If i break 3 or 4 I can still rack. The auto-Siphon is not a requirement (I don't have one) but it should make life pretty easy.

I'm thinking that it is still gonna be a bigger hassle than you seem to indicate.
I assume you've never heard the words "ALL GRAIN" spoken in a sentence have you? :D This is truly as easy as brewing gets.

what is the best way to sweeten it up for the next time I make this? We like sweet wines and I was wondering if I should add more apple juice or surgar or both. I work with a couple of wine makers and they make some incredibly strong (22%ABV) sweet wines. I think (still a newbe at wine) they make their OG high enough that the yeast won't ferment all of it.

You have to kill the yeast and add sugar or use splenda or lactalose to sweeten it. The fg isn't nearly high enough to not ferment with sugar.

Will this condition well in the bottles? I may need the carboy that the Apfelwein's in after it's been in there only 4 weeks.

Thanks!

-Joe

First off I do LOVE Apfelwein....but....I got in trouble from SWMBO today cause I drank the last of it before she got home today....night..night...I meant to say night I didn't drink it during the day...that would be bad....well anyways it's my fault anyway...I didn't take the advice of Edwort and brew some two weeks after I finished my first batch....and I still haven't started a new one...which will be done this week some time...hopefully!

Its been said before but...........Man I love Apfelwein!

I didn't take the advice of Edwort and brew some two weeks after I finished my first batch....and I still haven't started a new one...which will be done this week some time...hopefully!!

Better get cranking on another batch soon after that one, or better yet, get three going at one time....;)

I like threesomes! :D

15GallonsApfelwein33days.jpg

How did this go!!?? How did they compare?

Back