Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazytwoknobs said:
I used waay too much brown sugar and dextrose in mine, and it never finished, tastes awful now, my worst experience with any kind of DIY alcohol. All sorts of stuff went wrong. Completely my fault, but I really want to blame it on the yeast. I might try a smaller batch with it soon, and with no brown sugar.

Keep track of how long it takes to finish, I'm interested to know.

What yeast did you use? Champagne yeast are good at restarting stuck fermentations.

Instead of adding priming sugar to carbonate has anyone ever just added some seltzer to the glass of Apfelwein after pouring?

I do that to lemonade and fruit juice all the time so I was wondering how that might work. How about adding some Sprite? Would that sweeten it and add some bubbles or just ruin it?

Thwizzit said:
Instead of adding priming sugar to carbonate has anyone ever just added some seltzer to the glass of Apfelwein after pouring?

I do that to lemonade and fruit juice all the time so I was wondering how that might work. How about adding some Sprite? Would that sweeten it and add some bubbles or just ruin it?

Yep, that's what Germans do all the time. Give it a try. Since it is 8.5% it will not be so dangerous when cut with sparkling water or 7up.

Cool, thanks.

One quick question. I bottled the Apfelwein in my Mr. Beer into half gallon jugs and while filling the last unprimed one I tilted the keg a little to fill it up and it ended up cloudy. Is that one going to be no good or just take longer to be ready?

Thwizzit said:
Cool, thanks.

One quick question. I bottled the Apfelwein in my Mr. Beer into half gallon jugs and while filling the last unprimed one I tilted the keg a little to fill it up and it ended up cloudy. Is that one going to be no good or just take longer to be ready?
Drink that one first! :mug:
Rule #1 for Apfelwein. DON'T Worry so much. I'ts going to be fine. Ed Hasn't let me down in 3 batches...Hope to have 4th on the yeast before Friday.:mug:

Yeah man don't worry about it! I made 10 gallons my first time around I am now pissed that I did not start 5 more as soon as I bottled. I have five more that is umm 3 weeks in and 6 liter bottles that I am saving a special occasion!

:tank:

so SWMBO was displeased with the smells coming from the apfelwein on the counter, and since I live in a small apartment the only place it can go is on the balcony which faces the setting sun and can get a bit warm in the evenings. I covered the Mr. Beer fermentor with a cardboard box to keep direct sunlight off of it, but I'm worried about it getting warm during the day and cold at night.

DON'T Worry so much. I'ts going to be fine.

Yeah man don't worry about it!

Cool, thanks :) I'm looking forward to tasting it.

SWMBO was displeased with the smells coming from the apfelwein

Where do those smells come from? I've made a Mr. Beer batch and I have a 5 gallon bucket going right now and have never experienced anything other than a slight apple smell and sometimes not even that.

I've got my first batch fermenting in the carboy right now. I think I will take the advice of others in this thread and start a new batch as soon as I bottle this one.

Thwizzit said:

Where do those smells come from? I've made a Mr. Beer batch and I have a 5 gallon bucket going right now and have never experienced anything other than a slight apple smell and sometimes not even that.

Hell if i know what she thinks she's smelling, it smells like apples and yeast to me, but she found something about it unpleasant so outside it goes.

Hey EdWort, it was your YouTube video showing your Apfelwein fermenting that led me to this thread and got me signed up on the forums.

You're the reason the greatest things to happen to these forums has arrived. Go gloat.
:drunk:

AnotherFinch said:
Hey EdWort, it was your YouTube video showing your Apfelwein fermenting that led me to this thread and got me signed up on the forums.

That's cool! Thanks.

Welcome to HBT!

Thwizzit said:

How about taking it to a friend or neighbor's to finish fermenting indoors.

I'm using Lalvin EC-1118 wine yeast on my batch. Anyone know how dry it'll turn out, or if it'll have a strong yeasty taste?

Well, I've got my buyer looking for more Simply Apple! It comes out cloudy, but tastes AWESOME!

steve

I am a rank beginner when it comes to brewing. I have 4 batches of beer under my belt now and thought I would give the Apfelwein a try.

I mixed up a batch in strict accordance with Ed's recipe on April 2. After 24 hours the fermentation was underway. As of this morning the batch is cloudy, the airlock is bubbling merrily along and I observe a 1/2" ring along the sides of small bubbles as well as some small bubbles rising through the center. I am maintaining the tem,perature at about 68 F.

I used Krkland brand apple juice available in 1 gallon jugs at the local Costco. This is pure, pasteurized apple juice with no additives or preservatives. Everything appears to be coming along just fine.

Thanks Ed for the recipe and encouragement. I am of German ancestry and have a few German friends that I would love to try this on.

Started my fermentation on the 1st and wooboy! The Rhino farts are in full effect this morning. I put the carboy in a bathroom and put the exhaust fan on. SWMBO was less than pleased.....

Mine started kicking off into full swing less than twelve hours after pitching it, and now tht thing's bubbling pretty steadily. I can't wait to see the results. :D

BigKahuna said:
Ya..well... That is the million dollar question isn't it.
I'll say for sure that a teaspoon in a 12 oz bottle is TOO MUCH, (For Me) but a tea spoon in a 750 ml wine bottle....better but not enough.
I am glad I took my own advice and started small, and did a few variants at bottling. I've made a dessert sweet Apfelwein. It would be good carbed, but I forgot to sweeten any that I carbed. This seems odd to me, but after a month, the 1 tbs in a 750 bottle is about twice as sweet as I'd like. I have more going, and this is not bad by any means. I will enjoy trying again!:drunk: And will do some of the carbed verity.

I just bottled my 3 gallon Nottingham batch using 3oz of corn sugar in the bottling bucket. I set aside about 1/4 of a wine glass full and sampled it chilled. Nice stuff!!! :ban:

Tastes almost like a young pino grigio.

i changed the recipe just a tad and added maple syurp insead and used wyeast scottish ale (unintentionally) but dood, lyk 4 realzeez yo.... this stuff rawks

\m/ (*-*) \m/

:cross: :drunk: :cross:

Monday Monday, so good to me,
Monday Monday, it was all I hoped it would be

I'm sure you've heard it a hundred times, but thanks so much for this recipe.

Just got my first batch through the 3 weeks of bottles carbing and started drinking it this last weekend. My husband likes it so much he is letting me get an extra carboy so I can always have some going, and my parents want me to bring some to our next big family get together.

I couldn't be prouder, thanks again. :mug:

I would just like to say that breaking out a few bottles of carbed applewein this past weekend went a long way toward mending things with the in-laws. Cheers! :mug:

Richard said:
Can I use flip-top bottles instead of wine bottles?

You Betcha!

Apfelweinbottle.jpg

I just got my first bubble! I'm so proud. I am starting with apfelwein because I do not have all the equipment I need to brew beer yet. Should be ready just in time for out vacation to Lake Powell.

To the best of my knowledge- you don't have to worry about clear because there are no hops involved. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

Fermentation started within the first 24 hours. Been fermenting a week now. Amazing how conmsistent the activity has been. And yet, after only a week I believe I detect a bit of a slow down.

Ed: At 68-70F how long would you expect active fermentation to take? Can you tell I am getting anxious to try this out? After reading recent posts I think this stuff might cure cancer, establish world peace and grow hair!

Back