Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mutilated1 said:
Whats the 3 glass rule ?

Ya gotta drink 3 glasses before passing judgment. :D

Depending on the size of the glass, some folks just pass out before passing judgement. :cross:

andyp said:
Grrr...with all the buzz around this Apfelwein I'm excited to try it out....but I can't find Montrachet yeast anywhere around here! Buying online just for that would be ridiculous considering shipping.

:(

www.midwestsupplies.com just started a program where they ship very small packages by usps, which can keep shipping costs very low. you could pick up a few packets and maybe some hops or an airlock and still stay under the weight limit.

my latest batch should has been fermenting for about 6 weeks and I'm still getting a bubble every 48 seconds. Should I worry about this being in the Better Bottle for much longer?

benner81 said:
www.midwestsupplies.com just started a program where they ship very small packages by usps, which can keep shipping costs very low. you could pick up a few packets and maybe some hops or an airlock and still stay under the weight limit.

Thanks, Benner. Mr_Moe also just wrote me to tell me of a place nearby him (~1.5hrs from me) that has it. So that's a possibility too.

Actually, I have to say this: I wrote the makers of Red Star to ask where I could pick up some Montrachet, as I wasn't finding it anywhere. The North American sales manager wrote me back immediately, and got another employee to contact the Canadian distributer about me. Apparently they are supposed to give me some info on sources. He also asked to have some sample packs sent to me in the meantime. How great is that?

So: buy Red Star Montrachet if possible, they treat their (even potential) customers with great respect!

I have a 3 gallon batch going. How do I stop fermentation right where it is? I don't want it any drier.

andyp said:
Thanks, Benner. Mr_Moe also just wrote me to tell me of a place nearby him (~1.5hrs from me) that has it. So that's a possibility too.

Actually, I have to say this: I wrote the makers of Red Star to ask where I could pick up some Montrachet, as I wasn't finding it anywhere. The North American sales manager wrote me back immediately, and got another employee to contact the Canadian distributer about me. Apparently they are supposed to give me some info on sources. He also asked to have some sample packs sent to me in the meantime. How great is that?

So: buy Red Star Montrachet if possible, they treat their (even potential) customers with great respect!
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160121259109&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006

1.99 for shipping:rockin:

todd_k said:
my latest batch should has been fermenting for about 6 weeks and I'm still getting a bubble every 48 seconds. Should I worry about this being in the Better Bottle for much longer?

Don't worry, my first went 12+ weeks before it got to 1.000. It was going at 57'F

The better bottle will be good easily for 16 weeks w/o racking off the yeast.

HangDawg said:
I have a 3 gallon batch going. How do I stop fermentation right where it is? I don't want it any drier.

I've never done this, but you would need to use 1 or 2 camden tablets and reattach the air lock for 24-36hrs. Once you do this it will be flat cider unless you keg.

If you have too bottle and you want sweeter sparkling cider let it go to 1.000. At bottling use 3oz dextrose and least .75-1.25 lb of lactose sugar. This is what I used on batch one. (This the easiest way to avoid bottle bombs)

1 oz/gal dextrose for carbing

3.2 oz/gal lactose to sweeten

Schlenkerla said:
I've never done this, but you would need to use 1 or 2 camden tablets and reattach the air lock for 24-36hrs. Once you do this it will be flat cider unless you keg.

If you have too bottle and you want sweeter sparkling cider let it go to 1.000. At bottling use 3oz dextrose and least .75-1.25 lb of lactose sugar. This is what I used on batch one. (This the easiest way to avoid bottle bombs)

1 oz/gal dextrose for carbing

3.2 oz/gal lactose to sweeten

Well I just put it in a keg and threw it in the fridge. The stuff is really good.

Some of my friends are lactose intolerant and Splenda tastes like crap (I was thinking of using apple concentrate as a sweetener). So I was wondering is there anyway to:
A> Sweeten with fermentable sugar (sucrose/dextrose)
B> Still carbonate it
C> Use bottles

Probably not but I thought I would ask anyway. Obviously, you can't use yeast because it will eat the sweetening sugar and you have a dry and explosion happy drink. Are there carbonation tablets or something?

Also, I tasted the brew after 2 weeks in the fermenter (the fermentation was done in 5 or so days [OG=1.065, FG=1.000]) and it tasted watery and kind of... bad. This may be the application of the 3 glass rule or something... But, I was wondering if it just needs to age more since this is almost a wine. Should I really wait the 4 weeks before I bottle and pray like hell?

Thanks for all your help. If this works out I may take this up as a hobby ;)

I've only just bottled my first batch of apfelwein, but I will definitely tell you that 2 weeks is WAY to early to be drinking this stuff. I left mine sitting in the carboy for 2 months. When I tasted it after one month, I had a similar experience. Kind of watery and bland.

Tasted it again when I bottled it just past the 2 month mark. It was remarkably better. I think patience is a virtue with this stuff. Its really so easy to make. Just mix up a batch, stick it back in the corner and forget about it for a while.

Also, with the splenda tasting bad issue; maybe if you use just at tad to sweeten it slightly you won't get that awful artificial sweetener aftertaste. Personally, I dont think splenda has as much of a problem with this as Sweet'n Low.

Nargulyte said:
Some of my friends are lactose intolerant and Splenda tastes like crap (I was thinking of using apple concentrate as a sweetener). So I was wondering is there anyway to:
B> Still carbonate it
C> Use bottles

Probably not but I thought I would ask anyway. Obviously, you can't use yeast because it will eat the sweetening sugar and you have a dry and explosion happy drink. Are there carbonation tablets or something?

Also, I tasted the brew after 2 weeks in the fermenter (the fermentation was done in 5 or so days [OG=1.065, FG=1.000]) and it tasted watery and kind of... bad. This may be the application of the 3 glass rule or something... But, I was wondering if it just needs to age more since this is almost a wine. Should I really wait the 4 weeks before I bottle and pray like hell?

Mine was watery and bad after 4 weeks. However at 2 months it tastes good, i cant believe the change it went through. They are still in the carboys and I will bottle it in the next few weeks where it will sit for a bit more.

I put apple juice in a glass and mixed it up before i drank it and it really didnt do to much for the taste. I like it as is.

I was thinking of sweetening the recipe by adding a little malt extract and using an ale or lager yeast of some sort.

Heh.. mine was sitting in the BB for around 5 weeks.... took out a half gallon mid day and fridged it..... came out to a 1.023 (abv around 6.5%). (mind you I did use a different sugar.... 3# of Dextrine). After dinner I decided to pull out a glass of it... and quite smooth almost laking in taste with a hint of sweetness and dryness as an after taste. Then a week later I had from the same half gallon and it was very vinigery. The storage bottle is the same bottle the apple juice came in and was sanitized as well before putting the apfelwein in it. I havent figured out why that happened.

Had my first try of AW today. Man is this stuff good. Only had a few sips, had to go to work. I'll try my first 3 glasses (atleast) tonight . I'm mixing up a batch this weekend for the holidays. Question for you guys who have done this. How much clove, spice and/ or cinnamon do you use and did you change the yeast. The wife wants it a little sweeter. I think i'll use dark brown sugar as well. Thanks for the help.

Mr_Moe said:
Mine was watery and bad after 4 weeks. However at 2 months it tastes good, i cant believe the change it went through. They are still in the carboys and I will bottle it in the next few weeks where it will sit for a bit more.

I put apple juice in a glass and mixed it up before i drank it and it really didnt do to much for the taste. I like it as is.

I bet (and maybe this is already generally known) that it ferments like a wine. Needs some extra time. I remember that somewhere in the thread that someone had bottled some stuff for a year and it came out *really* (and in beyond the standard awesomeness) good.

The standard wait for most of the wines I am reading about take 6 months in various forms of fermentation and at least 6 months in a bottle to get the best taste... :fro:

Very interesting.

tarheels said:
Had my first try of AW today. Man is this stuff good. Only had a few sips, had to go to work. I'll try my first 3 glasses (atleast) tonight . I'm mixing up a batch this weekend for the holidays. Question for you guys who have done this. How much clove, spice and/ or cinnamon do you use and did you change the yeast. The wife wants it a little sweeter. I think i'll use dark brown sugar as well. Thanks for the help.

Dark brown sugar soes not make it sweeter, actually, the molasses makes it a little more tart. If you want to sweeten, then you should back sweeten with splenda (I use one packet of splenda per 750ml bottle).

As far as a holiday spiced varient goes, I'm trying 2 pounds of dark brown sugar with a tablespoon each of cinnamon & nutmeg. I won't know how it is for another month or so, but I think it should make for a nice warm mulled cider by christmas time.

This was a first try at a label for my first batch of apple wine that will be ready next week.
Just a simple idea.
photo

Sorry that I created another topic on the apfelwein :(

Is the original recipe true sparkling apfelwein with only 3/4 cups of dextrose?

I was just wondering how I could make true sparkling apfelwein? I would really like to get a quite carbonated champagne-style apfelwein. To get 5 bars pressure (72 psi), I would need about 3 cups or 521 g (1.15lbs) of dextrose? I'm using this page as a reference: http://www.brewery.org/library/YPrimerMH.html

I over back sweetened with Splenda.
Kegged it and it is rather bad. Is there any way I can add anything to help? I thought about lemon juice, but don't wanna get it worse. Has anyone had a similar situation?
thanks in advance,
Norm

Nargulyte said:
B> Still carbonate it
C> Use bottles

Sweet Mead Yeast is what you want to use it you want it simple. Wyeast 4184

http://www.wyeastlab.com/he_c_styledetails.cfm?ID=209

If you want to bottle sweet cider with ordinary yeast you'll need to pastuerize the bottles. You'll need a PET beer/soda bottle, fitted w/ a carbonator cap and keg ball lock fitted with a gauge. You stop the ferment and bottle at something over 1.010. Bottle with 3/4 cup of cornsugar and wait with the PET bottle fitted with the carbonator + the gauge. Let it carb to 15psi. Then you need to pastuerize by putting the bottles into boiling water for 10 minutes. (This kills the yeast and prevents bottle-bombs) Remove and air cool. Meanwhile drinking the one in the PET bottle. :D

Movinfr8 said:
I over back sweetened with Splenda.
Kegged it and it is rather bad. Is there any way I can add anything to help? I thought about lemon juice, but don't wanna get it worse. Has anyone had a similar situation?
thanks in advance,
Norm

Make another batch and blend it.

EdWort said:
I just found out that my Apfelwein took FIRST PLACE at the Alamo City Cerveza Fest for the BJCP Cider & Apple Wine catagory and Second Place for Best of Show for the Meads & Ciders Section!

Whoo Hoo! Yeah Baby!!:ban: :mug: :rockin:

Congrats Ed!!! But we all knew it would win, its one of the best things ever! :mug:

For those of you AW makers in Iowa.... the HyVee Stores here have apple juice/cider on sale for $1.99 a gallon. What a deal!

I picked up 10 gallons even though I have 5 gallons going right now. I'm stockin' up so I can reload after I bottle.

:rockin:

ArroganceFan said:
Congrats Ed!!! But we all knew it would win, its one of the best things ever! :mug:

Thanks! I was kinda surprised myself as the judging for Meads & Ciders was delayed for a month. It made my day!!

I entered some 8 month old Apfelwein into the Dixie Cup, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Good Luck with the Dixie Cup and thats great news about the Cerveza fest. I haven't tried my batch just yet, but hearing your good news is making me more anxious. I'm hoping to bottle her tomorrow (7wks in the primary). We'll see.

Cheers to yah Edwort. :mug:

EdWort said:
Thanks! I was kinda surprised myself as the judging for Meads & Ciders was delayed for a month. It made my day!!

I entered some 8 month old Apfelwein into the Dixie Cup, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Yeah, you are going to win this every time since this recipe has become the standard;) and you are the only one that keep this stuff around for 8 months...he he

Congrats and good luck!

Beerrific said:
Yeah, you are going to win this every time since this recipe has become the standard;) and you are the only one that keep this stuff around for 8 months...he he

Congrats and good luck!

I have stuff at 10 months!!! :D ~ about 12 left out of 48

Schlenkerla said:
I have stuff at 10 months!!! :D ~ about 12 left out of 48

There ya go! That would be cool if an Apfelwein took 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place for Meads & Ciders at a competition!

No Joke! - I think the wine yeast is what makes it ultra smooth and so clean.

Ed - Sooner or later you're gonna be the Curt Stock of AW!!! :rockin:

Websites will show your Avator or picture and state "This recipe was created by Edwort" creator of the world class apfelwien and ciders.

As I write this, I'm looking at the Northern Brewer Catalog with Curt Stock picture and all of his mead recipes you can buy.

EdWort said:
Make another batch and blend it.

Well, I tapped into that keg last night, and my wife, who I think may be a little lactose intolerant, even said it was better. It sure went down smooth, and I am SOOO glad I took the advice of drinking a lot of water and aspirin before bed, cause I was more:cross: :drunk: than I have been in years. I think because it is less dry, it just goes down like water!! This stuff is evil, pure evil. and I love it!
Norm

Schlenkerla said:
Websites will show your Avator or picture and state "This recipe was created by Edwort" creator of the world class apfelwien and ciders..

:cross: I doubt that. Apfelwein is just too braindead simple. Juice, sugar, yeast, & patience

Stick to the basics though. I'm getting two carboys ready for another 10 gallons.

I've just been and picked a sack of apples from down by the river.
They are now juiced and in the fermenter.
I used camden tablets to kill the beasies. I just hope it's not killed my yeast. I've left it 24 hours before pitching. I've also used pectonase to help with the clarity.

I made my first 5 gallons of modified Apfelwein yesterday. The LHBS did not have the yeast the original recipe calls for so I used some American Hefeweisen yeast (WLP320) I had on hand. The next time I place an online order, I'll get some Montrachet yeast and do it the right way.

It's bubbling away now looking good. Dry, sweet, carbonated, uncarbonated I just don't see how you can go 'wrong' with this. Sure, it will taste different but you've still got 5 gallons of Apfelwein!

Thanks Ed for educating the masses! I no longer have a legitimate reason for having an empty carboy.

Is my apfelwein ready yet?

Its been in there for 7 weeks and 2 days. SG is 1.003. Two weeks and one day ago the SG was 1.003. Didn't drop at all. Can I bottle?

BTW I used the brown sugar instead of the dextrose. I don't know if that affects the FG.

Back