Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled my first batch last sunday, it was alright, wasnt a huge fan at the moment. Just wondering how your guys conditioned out? How long were they sitting before they got really good? I had mine in the primary for about 7 or 8 weeks and in a secondary for 2.

I carbed most of them and left about 6 or 7 uncarbed. I tied mising some with sprite and I didnt really like that, will have to try it again once it conditions.

mgayer said:
Mine took a day and a half to see anything. Started the 28th at 4:00pm. The yeast just stayed suspended but when I got home from work yesterday I saw a bit of foam. This morning I had activity in the airlock about once every 3 to 4 seconds and about half an inches of foam.

By the way the vodka in the air lock works great!
:ban:
Mine had the freaky ghost ring on the top of the juice at 8 hours but still was not bubbling at 24. It probably would have helped to rehydrate the yeast but I was in a hurry and skipped that step.
Craig

mot said:
I bottled my first batch last sunday, it was alright, wasnt a huge fan at the moment. Just wondering how your guys conditioned out? How long were they sitting before they got really good? I had mine in the primary for about 7 or 8 weeks and in a secondary for 2.

I carbed most of them and left about 6 or 7 uncarbed. I tied mising some with sprite and I didnt really like that, will have to try it again once it conditions.

A couple things, drink this cold and bubbly. Just wait until you cop a quick buzz. The stuff requires some getting use to if you don't normally drink cider. Hence the 3 glass rule. Stopping for a bit after the 3rd glass is wise. It can knock you on your a$$ if you slam them. 2 for 1 on ABV, meaning 1 drink is ~ 2 beers.

This definately gets better with time. SWMBO commented on it w/o my asking. Cider will last long in a bottle if you let it, however as it gets better you will drink it faster. Give it some time.

BTW mine was clear when I bottled, it still dropped out some yeast weeks later.

You can also dilute this with plain juice but I don't think its necessary.

:mug:

Schlenkerla said:
A couple things, drink this cold and bubbly. Just wait until you cop a quick buzz. The stuff requires some getting use to if you don't normally drink cider. Hence the 3 glass rule. Stopping for a bit after the 3rd glass is wise. It can knock you on your a$$ if you slam them. 2 for 1 on ABV, meaning 1 drink is ~ 2 beers.

This definately gets better with time. SWMBO commented on it w/o my asking. Cider will last long in a bottle if you let it, however as it gets better you will drink it faster. Give it some time.

BTW mine was clear when I bottled, it still dropped out some yeast weeks later.

You can also dilute this with plain juice but I don't think its necessary.

Cool, in my secondary there was not much yeast sediment. It did have a faint bread.. yeasty smell, I hope that isn't some sort of infection or the yeast dying off?:confused:

mot said:
Cool, in my secondary there was not much yeast sediment. It did have a faint bread.. yeasty smell, I hope that isn't some sort of infection or the yeast dying off?:confused:

It'll be noticably better in 4-6 weeks. The yeasty taste is gonna be there for a little bit. High ABV stuff requires a little more time to mature. Unless you detest dry wine, you'll like it better shortly.

I brought my first batch to my HB club meeting after 4 weeks in the bottle. I was told to enter it in the state fair competition for ciders.

Funny story...
I used my carbinator cap on a 2L bottle for my first taste. It was pretty good, but I was looking for sweeter. On the second bottle, I bottle conditioned individually with 2.5 tsp of cane sugar in a 1L bottle. It would not carb, so I used the carbinator cap again. This stuff tasted great! What gives, I wonder....turns out SWMBO put Splenda in the sugar jar and was trying to see if anyone noticed a difference!!! LMAO!!! :D So now I have 2-3 tsp of Splenda in the bottles and carb them with about the same of cane sugar.

EdWort said:
Was the organic juice cloudy to start with? What kind was it? What yeast did you use?

Ed,
Yep it was cloudy to start with. It was the organic central market juice you can get from HEB. The yeast was the Moechet or however you spell it.

well popped open my first bottle tonight, carbonated. It is very...delicate. You almost have to search for the flavor. I love it, but do wish it had a tiny bit more body to it. I can definitely see myself drinking it to stupidity though during the summer:D Thanks Ed!

Dan

I have had mine in the carboy for 4 weeks (and 1 day). According to the hydrometer, it is done. I am waiting for it to clear. It has cleared a lot in the last week, I can now make out the outline of objects through it.

My fermenting fridge is open for the next few days. Will cooling this off help clear it? It is in the mid-upper 70s at the moment.

I am ready to bottle (read: drink) this stuff!!!

I just bottled mine yesterday. I have primed them. I had some last night. WOW Very Light tasting, Very aromatic. We had my Sister in Law over and brother n law. They all really enjoyed it.

I am going to have to make another batch of this stuff.

THe only thing I didn't enjoy was the hangover :drunk:

Edword You M'F**kR!

Thanks for the great recipe

I'm Hooked! :tank:

Can I bottle these in Champagne bottles or Beer bottles 22oz?

Also how should they be stored? Sediment? Horizontal or Vertical?

Thanks...

sAvAgE said:
I just bottled mine yesterday. I have primed them. I had some last night. WOW Very Light tasting, Very aromatic. We had my Sister in Law over and brother n law. They all really enjoyed it.

I am going to have to make another batch of this stuff.

THe only thing I didn't enjoy was the hangover :drunk:

Edword You M'F**kR!

Thanks for the great recipe

I'm Hooked! :tank:

Welcome to the club, Der Apfelwein Verein! Glad you like it. I've updated the first post with a general warning about Apfelwein along with a recommendation to help with excessive consumption.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860

Went to the grocery store to get the juice for my first batch. People were looking at me like I was buying up all the Sudafed for a Meth Lab. They knew I had some insidious plan for all that juice, but didn't have a clue what it was.

Where do you guys get juice that isn't super expensive? What brand do you get, Motts or a local fresh pressed type dealy?

Sam's Club! 5 gallons was a bit less than $17.00. It came in 3 quart jugs, Makers Mark brand 100% juice no additives!:mug:

pfranco81 said:
Where do you guys get juice that isn't super expensive? What brand do you get, Motts or a local fresh pressed type dealy?

Costco sells Tree Top brand, 2 gallons for $5.99. It's 100% apple juice from concentrate and it's what I use. Works great, so my 5 gallon batches cost $18.79 with yeast & dextrose (about 35 cents per 12 oz. serving).

pfranco81 said:
Local Costco had Motts Brand 100% Apple Juice for $5.88/2gal.
Come apple season I am going to see if I can get some local pasteurized cider. I noticed some available currently listed a preservative. Hopefully one of the local orchards has some additive free.

Lots of people talk about a machine gun like bubble rate. Mine has been bubbling at a rate of 3-6/min since is started about a week ago. Is this possibly due to my basement temps (63-64F)?

Craig

I am starting another batch of Apfelwein. I decided to try the Wyeast 3068. I am however a little confused I have not tried a yeast of this nature before. How do I use it?

Thanks

What would happen if I added frozen apple juice concentrate to my juice instead of sugar?

NYeric said:
I am starting another batch of Apfelwein. I decided to try the Wyeast 3068. I am however a little confused I have not tried a yeast of this nature before. How do I use it?

Why would you want to use the Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen yeast? Pretty pricey stuff for Apfelwein.

I would just follow the directions on the packet and sanitize the edge that you cut off with sanitized scissors. You will have more lag time than with Montrachet, but I would not bother with a apple juice starter.

You'll most likely have cloudy apfelwein with this yeast too.

NYeric said:
Thanks for the reply. The package says to make a starter with DME....Is that the route I should take?

That's why I would not make a starter. I would not want to mix Dried Malt Extract with my apple juice. If I were to use that yeast (and I would not), I would just smack the pack, let it inflate, then use it.

What would you use for a more fruity and less dry taste? I used the montrachet as in your original recipe. I liked it and my wife would like it less dry.

I read in another thread that the 3068 was used and produced an almost tropical fruit flavor...sounded nice

Just got my Better bottle, stopper, airlock, montrachet yeast and corn syrup in the mail, so I will probably get this going on friday when I get out of work.

Question. I got 4lbs of corn syrup since I plan on getting a second batch going at some point. The 4lbs came in one tub by itself. Whats the best way to measure out the 2lbs and get it into the fermenter.

My apfelwein has been in the carboy for 30 days. I decided to move it into my fermentation fridge to cool it down to see if I could speed up the clearing process. To do so I had to change out the airlock, so I decided to take a 12oz.;) hydrometer sample...MAN this stuff is good. It is pretty clear already, might just stick it in bottles, let it clear up there or in my belly!

SWMBO liked it too even though she remarked "WOO that is strong." HA HA.

Probably going to prime with half a can of apple juice concentrate this weekend if I am not busy brewing.:mug:

rmullins said:
Just got my Better bottle, stopper, airlock, montrachet yeast and corn syrup in the mail, so I will probably get this going on friday when I get out of work.

Question. I got 4lbs of corn syrup since I plan on getting a second batch going at some point. The 4lbs came in one tub by itself. Whats the best way to measure out the 2lbs and get it into the fermenter.

Are you sure it is corn syrup? It's supposed to be corn sugar. I don't think I would use corn syrup.

If it is corn sugar, I would take half of the tub for one batch. It won't matter how much of the half tub you put in each jug to shake & dissolve as long as you only put 2 lbs. in.

NYeric said:

Thanks

I used the Rudsheimer yeast in mine and there be lots of aroma and the taste is wonderful. I highly recommend it

EdWort said:
Are you sure it is corn syrup? It's supposed to be corn sugar. I don't think I would use corn syrup.

If it is corn sugar, I would take half of the tub for one batch. It won't matter how much of the half tub you put in each jug to shake & dissolve as long as you only put 2 lbs. in.

ah crap i got the brewery grade corn syrup by accident

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=426

Time for another order.

I am going to go broke. I needed 2 lbs of corn sugar, got that as well as 48 more bottles, a bottle tree and sanatizer for it

rmullins said:
ah crap i got the brewery grade corn syrup by accident

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=426

Time for another order.

I am going to go broke. I needed 2 lbs of corn sugar, got that as well as 48 more bottles, a bottle tree and sanatizer for it

Send me your address and I'll get you 2lbs of corn sugar in the mail. I've got tons of it left over. But if you have other things you need it would be cheaper from AHB, since shipping 2lbs of corn sugar would prolly cost $2-3.

So hey! Why 3 glasses? Perhaps mine is not done yet, but I liked it at first taste. It is at .998 it has been about 1.5 mos.

Tastes like white wine to me. Can't wait for it to be ready. :drunk:

Time to start some more...

EdWort said:
Don't you have any Home Brew Supply stores on Long Gyland? They should have some corn sugar (dextrose).

I've got one about 45 minutes from me but I am so busy these next few weeks I wouldn't have time to get out there.

HarvInSTL said:
Send me your address and I'll get you 2lbs of corn sugar in the mail. I've got tons of it left over. But if you have other things you need it would be cheaper from AHB, since shipping 2lbs of corn sugar would prolly cost $2-3.

Thanks for the offer. I got the sugar and some other things from AHB since its 5.95 flat shipping anyways so I just found some more things I wanted.

EdWort said:
GENERAL WARNINGS

Excessive consumption of Apfelwein WILL get you drunk at warp speed.

Drink a quart of water and take 3 aspirin before going to sleep tol help reduce the effects of excessive Apfelwein consumption as well as the urge to call EdWort a M'F**kR!
:D

Nice Warning!! This doesn't release you of any liability though!!!

You need to say that you are a dumb-ass and get what you deserve if you do not drink Apfelwein responsibly! :D

:tank:

Dan T said:
Does anybody know how long bottle carbonating takes? :confused:

not sure but mine have been in the bottle for two weeks and I used the cooper carb drops and there is very little at the moment plan on trying another tonight

Back