Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
strumke said:
Just set up my first batch! only 6 months or so to go...

It'll be ready in 4-6 weeks. Unless I missed something in this thread about aging to six to six months. Mine is always gone in about 2 months.

Did you have to stabilize to keep it there tho (w/the ale yeast)? The muntons produced some of the only bottle bombs (all gushed) I've ever gotten after 4wks in the primary, fg of 1.001 for 4 days, and 136g of corn sugar in a hair over 5g.

I'm fairly sure I kegged that batch, so you may be right that it continued. However, that'd be a huge surprise, as I usually let the apfelweins sit in primary for ~2-3 months minimum. Unless it was a *really* slow fermentation (or the yeast just needed to be angried up a bit or something), it should've been finished.

I'm about due to start another batch in the next week or two; maybe I'll drop it on 001 again and see if I can repeat the experience. Or better yet: perhaps I'll split it up into a few small batches with various ale yeasts to see if I can find one that seems to finish high. I'm still hopeful for 002, but I've been wanting to test out a few other strains on it anyway.

Ok so I use a similar recipe I found on Northern Brewer and use the 6 cans of concentrate. I just got into kegging and after kegging my first beer I went and bottled a batch of this, and that SUCKED. The reason I bottled was so I could backsweeten and then stove-top pasteurize before it dried out completely again, to get a slightly sweet...slightly carbed finished product.

Now that I am kegging, is there any way to achieve this naturally, or am I stuck with some non-fermentable sweetener as my only choice, or just go back to bottling?

Setup my first batch this weekend with minor changes.

(1) Made it 3 gallons instead of 5
(2) Used "Simply Apple" brand juice (Used 6.5 bottles and it came out to about $20)

I have it in a room at room temp, and since day 1, its been fermenting fast and fierce.

I have a question though, has anyone had an issue with this recipe stinking up the room to high heaven? After day 1 the room started to smell like a bag of old gym socks :eek:

The smell is normal, it will go away shortly. Add some pectic enzyme if you want it to clear. I had that issue with my first batch.

I can just add the enzyme anytime during fermentation? Like, just drop it in? Luckily I'm only 3 days into fermentation.

I can just add the enzyme anytime during fermentation? Like, just drop it in? Luckily I'm only 3 days into fermentation.

You might not even need to add it.

When mine started smelling I added some yeast nutrients based on the advice of others in this thread. I don't know if the yeast nutrients worked or not, but the smell still persisted and didn't die down until the 4th or 5th day of fermentation.

h0rse27 said:

When mine started smelling I added some yeast nutrients based on the advice of others in this thread. I don't know if the yeast nutrients worked or not, but the smell still persisted and didn't die down until the 4th or 5th day of fermentation.

Yeast nutrients are really best added before or at the same time as you pitch the yeast. You can add more later, but the most important time is at the beginning.

Mmm. My apfelwein is three months old, so I bottled and put a few of the smaller bottles (beer bottles) in the fridge for testing purposes. I'm thrilled by the taste but I'm disappointed by the sludge that seems to have formed after cooling it. Some of the apple juice I used was cloudy so I wasn't counting on a completely clear mixture at bottling, and it looked like a good deal had settled out.

Enzymes and nutrients are different things. The enzyme breaks down the pectin in the juice and helps the final product be clear.

BonnieJ said:
Mmm. My apfelwein is three months old, so I bottled and put a few of the smaller bottles (beer bottles) in the fridge for testing purposes. I'm thrilled by the taste but I'm disappointed by the sludge that seems to have formed after cooling it. Some of the apple juice I used was cloudy so I wasn't counting on a completely clear mixture at bottling, and it looked like a good deal had settled out.

You could cold crash before bottling but going sparkling after that could be hindered.

You could cold crash before bottling but going sparkling after that could be hindered.

I wish I had been able to! Mine is still, so I am not worried about being able to sparkle.

Do you know -- how cold does it need to get for how long? It gets coldish overnight some nights here in the winter (35?) and stays around 45 most days. We've got super-temperate weather all winter!

I wish I had been able to! Mine is still, so I am not worried about being able to sparkle.

Do you know -- how cold does it need to get for how long? It gets coldish overnight some nights here in the winter (35?) and stays around 45 most days. We've got super-temperate weather all winter!

Well, The ideal refrigerator temperature range is 34°-40°F so it sounds like you would be at the right temperature to leave it out, as long as it is a constant 35.

So I opened the bucket of applewine I created 9/24/11 Smells like cider and is pretty clear.

I've racked it to a 5 gallon glass carboy. When it stops bubbling, I'll cold crash and bottle.

Can't wait to try it.

Today my Apfelwein is 16 days old. Starting to clear, tasted a bit, it has a watery consistency, but apple notes on the finish. I followed Ed's recipe, am I on track? Will it get better body and flavor with age?
Thanks...

I just jugged a batch I re-fermented with a pound of dark brown sugar. It was a bit fizzy as it siphoned in the bottling bucket. I boxed it up and put it in closet storage. I set the last gallon of the November 2010 batch on the shelf for the upcoming holidays... :tank:

Just started 5 gallons yesterday. I found the corn sugar at my LHBS. Thanks for all the help everyone!

How about using variations of different yeasts to produce different flavors and ABV?

I have a batch of this that needs to be bottled. For those of you that are carbing it, what level are you aiming for?

I'd like to back sweeten a little as well. Any suggestions on what to use for this?

I have a batch of this that needs to be bottled. For those of you that are carbing it, what level are you aiming for?

I'd like to back sweeten a little as well. Any suggestions on what to use for this?

I found with my first batch the Half I bottled still mixes well with sprite or ginger ale for carbonation and sweetness.

Started my apfelwein and inmate brews last week. Use a Mr. Beer keg with 2 cups of sugar, D47 Lalvin yeast, 2 gallons of apple juice and raisin juice from simmered raisins and water. Also started a half gallon of strawberry banana with the same yeast, 1 cup of sugar, and the raisin juice as well. Last but not least, a cranberry cocktail of half gallon with the same as the strawberry banana. One week in and they are all bubbling away and smelling delicious. Used airlocks and #7 stoppers for both half gallon juices. The Mr. Beer keg has little slots that allow for the co2 to escape.

Just bottled mine and followed Ed's receipe to the T. This stuff is great, and it does creep up on you. Excellent stuff. I put 3 ounces of priming sugar in mine for just a little carbonation. I'll let ya know how it comes out.

good answer

should have known it was a smart a$$ from North Carolina..........hows things in Winston?

johnnync said:
good answer

should have known it was a smart a$$ from North Carolina..........hows things in Winston?

Yeah. Carolinians. Winston is good. How are things over there off the corner of Fayettenam?

Hey,

I seem to be getting an almost vinegar like smell from my fermentation. Also there are no bubbles coming from my airlock. This is very interesting. I have never used a 5 gallon bucket before. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, I sanitized everything using some unscented bleach and made sure to wash it out very well before making my mash. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Could be a fluke. I've made various wine that was like that at first but turned out great. If you do have acetobacter I don't think it's possible to fix and it's pretty much toast for the wine factor but look on the bright side... You'll have cider vinegar-like stuff to give your friends. So in the meantime relax. ;)

Pasturize then use any sugar. I'm personally not a fan of stabilizing to do it as i'm always afraid it might push forward afterand make bombs. Alternatively sucralose works fine with regular priming sugar if you want it sparkling and want to avoid the inherent danger of bottle pasteurization. Personally I think it imitates a white wine without backsweetening nicely.

Just tapped my first batch today. I was scared from some people saying it just tasted like cheap wine, but...

F YA

Love it! Even made some of the grog to warm me up. I need to get another batch rolling for when this keg blows. Might even keep a designated keg for Apfelwein!

Great job!

Latest posts

Back