Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RichBrewer said:
Hey there and welcome! :mug:
This is a good way to learn fermentation.65 degrees is fine but it will ferment slower. At this point relax and let it ferment away.

mine is fermenting like gangbusters at 60*F...
the package said anywhere from 59-86 is fine...

Still not clear after 2 months? Used a pack of KC finings and still no go after another 4 days. Could I have a pectin problem? If so, how to fix.

You know, I hadn't had any of this in a while until last night...

This really is damn good stuff, Ed. I'm starting to come around to the taste. It's definately more wine-like than cider-ey. I'm still going to try it as close to your original recipe as possible, as soon as I see a deal on some better-quality apple juice, but even the $1.49/half gallon Stop & Shop juice made a damn nice wine.

It's much more wine-y than cidery, and I think that threw me off at first.

But I do like it now... might have some tonight actually :D

ill.literate said:
It's much more wine-y than cidery, and I think that threw me off at first.

It is different than what most folks are anticipating. I'm glad it's growing on you. :mug:

the_bird said:
You know, I hadn't had any of this in a while until last night...

This really is damn good stuff, Ed. I'm starting to come around to the taste. It's definately more wine-like than cider-ey. I'm still going to try it as close to your original recipe as possible, as soon as I see a deal on some better-quality apple juice, but even the $1.49/half gallon Stop & Shop juice made a damn nice wine.

Bird, I really miss stop and shops.....they dont have any in Texas.

Ed made 5 gallons today. Looking forward to opening the first bottle.

Had some straight out of the primary last night. Was just sitting in my cellar and it was beside me on the work bench with the tap staring me down saying open me up and have a pint. It has been there a month and is tasting very nice. will be better chilled me thinx.

Orpheus said:
I still can't believe how active this fermentation is. Again, I've only ever done beer besides this one batch. It's been a steady stream of bubbles for the last 12 days straight.:drunk:

Ya, it's got to make up 8.5% abv. That's hard work.

To those of you who asked about the low temps.

Montrachet will work at pretty low temps. Last week and this week my batch is cracking away at 53-57'F in the basement. Mostly 55'F. IMHO the low temp has not made much of a visual impact when looking at the air lock.

I'm on day 26 and its still cranking away full bore... similiar to a normal ale ferment. :rockin:

Day 1-3: Nothing, no activity

Day 4: Some bubbles, many really tiny ones floating up.

Day #5: It really took off, blew out my sanitzer in the lock and filled it with cider (I have a Sideways-S lock in place)

Days 6-21: The cider in the lock was suspended in the 2nd half of the lock.

Days 22-Now: Its now decended into the bottom of the trap, it still passes a bubble every 2 seconds.​

The only question is when will it stop??? I need to have it bottled & bubbly by 3/1

olllllo said:
You jinxed yourself.:D

Damn it!!! I have to stop doing that! :cross:

I've been watching the thing to closely. I think its like watching water boil. If you watch it will never boil. I this case I have to forget about it for now. Start another batch get primary #3 into action. ;)

So bottled my Cotes des Blancs and my montrechet batches last night. Both were 6.25 gallon batches made with 2 lbs of dark brown sugar and 1 lb of light bron sugar. So when we were bottling we tried a little. First taste of the Cotes batch was awesome and we continued to drink a couple of glasses. We tried the montrechet batch and after drinking the cotes neither of us finished a glass. The montrechet batch tasted bland after drinking the cotes batch. It had a really good apple taste and was slightly sweet at the start of you sip but finishes crisp and slightly dry. If making it again i would definitly go with the Cotes. Also i still have to do edworts try 3 glasses then make your decision for the montrechet batch. Threw both batches into bottles and will try them in two weeks when carbed.

Orpheus said:
Hehe..

To be honest, I had a 2.5 lb. jug of dextrose from the LHBS that I dumped in the carboy. I figured there was no need to waste a good .5 lb of dextrose.:D

SWEET! Nothing like a little kick. I did one once with 3 lbs. and folks LOVED it......till the next day. Big hangover. I found that 2 pounds adds enough kick without after effects if you drink some water before hitting the sack.

Bottled my first 5 gallon batch of the sweet, sweet nectar last night; one that I started on December 30. I had three glasses left over and stuck them in the fridge. On my third now and have now joined in lock-step with the righteous men and women marching in celebration of Apfelwein.

I used the original recipe, thanks Edwort. Now the experimenting starts.

Has anyone tried adding applejuice, or any other flavor, concentrate?

:fro:

We also bottled our first batch of this stuff today,after 30 days in primary.Frankly,it's way drier and un-sweeter than i expected.We added 1 can of Apple Juice concentrate and almost a pound of lactose along with our priming sugar at bottling.Still dry and sour,but i'm not too big on wines anyway.SWMBO likes it better than me.So maybe after a few weeks in the bottle and some carbonation it might be better(to me).In all fairness though,i haven't given it the 3 glass test.I guess we'll have to wait and see.:D
Cheers:mug:

I think a bit of it is about taste. I don't like sweet alcoholic drinks at all. Give me vodka, bourbon and gin on the rocks and I am happy. I like my coffee black and strong.

I have tried three or four commercial ciders in build up to the one I was fermenting and they are all too sweet for me. When I read about dryness of this one, I jumped at it. The dryness is perfect for me.

:fro:

I just killed about a 1/2 gallon of my latest batch of apfelwein last night, and after two broken glasses, a soaked shirt/pair of pants, and a hangover like the ones from my college days, i can safely say this is some awesome shtuff :) I used eds recipe with the dextrose, and found that i prefer his way to the brown sugar method i used last. The molassass contributed to some off flavors in the wine last time, and since this is a quick fix i didn't let it sit around to age. The dextrose contributed to a much cleaner, brighter taste. I was hooked on my apfelwein after only one and a half glasses, not the requisite three :)

stop and shop has 1/2 gal of apple juice for $1. I'm putting on my coat as i type...

mike

Here's mine along with my 2-1 gallon jugs of apple wine. It has been fermenting for 15 days now and it is still bubbling.
2967-3applewines.jpg

Just started our first Apfelwein batch last night... However the guy at the LHBS suckered us into using a Munich Lager yeast instead, he said the other yeast dries it out too much. Very, very slow bubbling... I think i'll go paint a wall to watch something faster.

My slight variation on this recipe (mostly in yeast choice, I'm using the WPL English Cider yeast) has been sampled for the first time.

After 2 weeks in the bottle, 1# lactose added w/ 5oz corn sugar @ bottling, and stored at about 59F, is still slightly undercarbonated, but SWMBO and I agree... :tank: it's GREAT! :mug:

The current batch in the fermentor, pitched directly onto the old cake, will be bottled without additional sweeteners.

GREAT STUFF!

Should Apfelwein be flat when its done fermenting? The reason is I sampled some out of a Mr. Beer and it had a small amount of bubbles still in after week 3.

There are ways to de-gas wine, like this lil fella here:

Whizz Stick
http://www.hopshopuk.com/cgi-bin/browse-no-frames.cgi?view=group&group=paddles

Description:
This device consists of a straight stainless steel shaft, one end of which fits into the chuck of a cordless drill. The other end has two hinged nylon flails. The clean and sterilised Whizz Stick is immersed in the wine and the drill turned on for about 10-15 seconds. This effectively removes the dissolved gas from the wine, enabling the wine to clear quicker.

Seems like a bit of a rip off for a piece of metal with a couple of plastic flaps that attaches to a drill though.

I'm at week 4 + 4days. 31 days!!!! Mine is still bubbling 20 times per minute.

It won't be clear at 5 weeks....:( The cold is really dragin' this out.

Wow...just stumbled upon this thread today...79 pages long! I've seen this recipe on countless members' signatures...I'm doing this very soon. :)

I couldnt find that particular type of apple juice... but i did find 100% apple juice.. it is just apple concentrate and water..

do you guys think that will be ok?

the brand was white house from walmart..

aekdbbop said:
I couldnt find that particular type of apple juice... but i did find 100% apple juice.. it is just apple concentrate and water..

Exactly the same stuff I used.

Take that for what its worth. Never done this before.

aekdbbop said:

Basically, the type he is using is 100% apple juice concentrate and water...

I used the same thing except took 1 gallon of juice out and replaced with 1 sleeve of frozen concentrate (no water added) per gallon of juice (4 gallons of juice, 4 gallons of concentrate)... This also eliminates the need for the dextrose which will keep from drying it out as much. My LHBS guy said it should have around the same Grav and %, but much sweeter and not so dry... He gave me a Munich Lager yeast to use but unfortunately it was bum yeast so we went back and got the wine yeast...

Anyway, YES that kind will work... this is some of the best smelling stuff i've ever had in a fermenter....

My 1 gallon test batch will be in the fermenter for 4 weeks this Saturday. I still have some bubbles around the top edge of the liquid as well as pressure in the air lock. I cheated last night and carefully decanted a small sample. This really tastes good. I am convinced that I will like a full 5 gallon batch and will whip it up soon. I think I will take the suggestion to add lactose and use the Cotes Des Blanc yeast to make it a little sweater for my wife.

Thanks for the recipe Ed! :mug:

I just bottled my apfelwein. I carbed it just like beer...so in a week I will chill it....and it will have a light carbonation. I pulled a pint of the still apfelwein right out of the carboy.....unbelievably good!

I made a half batch of ed's recipe....but other than that I followed to a "T".....

I will be getting a secong batch going next week!

Thanks Ed!

Stonedog said:
I just bottled my apfelwein. I carbed it just like beer...so in a week I will chill it....and it will have a light carbonation.

I would let carb more than a week. This stuff ferments slower than beer. Also if your batch is real clear it might take even longer. I'd go with the standard 1-2-3 rule of thumb. "3" being the normal 3 weeks for carbing. Most beer takes two even to be consistent.

I'm looking forward to tasting mine. At the rate mine is going, 33 days, it take another 33 before drinking time is here.

So, you don't think its too dry? Many have stated this. Many have also said the contrary.

I tasted a cider w/ no added corn sugar fermented with WL Cider yeast and it was quite dry IMHO. A little too dry. I didn't use the 3 drink rule though. (I was at my HB club) If we did that we'd be sauced before the night was over. :drunk:

I don't think it does, at least I'm not planning on carbonating mine.

One thing that's got me kinda worried though... it's been 9 days and mine has slowed down to a bubble per minute or so. Isn't it too soon for it to slow down like this? Anybody else had this?

Back