Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rwagner23 said:
I FINALLY kegged my second batch of this that I started on 9-9-09 and left it in the primary the WHOLE time.

It is yummy with some caramel flavors.

I've read about the forgotten 6-pack found months later, but never a carboy forgotten for 18 months.

I like the idea of aging aflewein that long maybe ill have to go buy a better bottle carboy, get some good quality apple juice and forget about it for a while

I am sure this has been asked in here 50 times, but I apparently suck at using the search function or something sooooo.....

I have had my Apfelwein on the Red star yeast for 2 months now and am ready to bottle.
Will this yeast still be able to bottle carb?

Hoppin_Mad said:
I am sure this has been asked in here 50 times, but I apparently suck at using the search function or something sooooo.....

I have had my Apfelwein on the Red star yeast for 2 months now and am ready to bottle.
Will this yeast still be able to bottle carb?

After reading tons of this thread, yes. 1 oz of corn sugar per gal (3/4 cup for 5 gal) and you're good. Carb just like beer. I want to say about 3 weeks.

I even still have a few bottles from my first batch. Comparing the two I really like the flavors that formed in the second batch left in the fermenter for so long.

I've got my first five gallons of Apfelwein going in individual one gallon batches. It's been 2 weeks and it's fermenting away.

I am testing out brown sugar vs dextrose. I also added some lime juice, raisins, and tea to one batch for acid and tannins balance.

I can't wait to compare the batches after all the reading I have been doing! I just hope I will be able to let it age long enough to really appreciate the flavors.

Cool vid, Mendnwngs! Considering that was the most vigorous fermentation I'd ever seen, I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Just mesmerizing. Skip past the boring Irish Reds - that Apfelwein is rockin'!

Last edited by a moderator:
I primed my batch with 5 oz of corn sugar and bottled yesterday.

Should I continue to keep it in the cellar where it's about 57 degrees or should I bring it upstairs where it's warmer ?

My thought is it would carb faster if warmer, no?

Went to make another batch of this and tried some fresh local apple cider! Did the whole thing but a couple days now and nothing from the apfelwein?

I looked at the juice bottle and it says it was pasteurized with Potassium Sorbate! Doesn't that Kill the yeasties?? I am thinking when I shook it up to get O2 in there that might have mixed the Yeast Murderers? :mad:

should I dump another pack of yeast in after everything has settled??? Or is this an unfermentable apple juice?

Went to make another batch of this and tried some fresh local apple cider! Did the whole thing but a couple days now and nothing from the apfelwein?

I looked at the juice bottle and it says it was pasteurized with Potassium Sorbate! Doesn't that Kill the yeasties?? I am thinking when I shook it up to get O2 in there that might have mixed the Yeast Murderers? :mad:

should I dump another pack of yeast in after everything has settled??? Or is this an unfermentable apple juice?

If there is Sorbate in there it will not ferment ( or will be VERY hard to start). However I have heard of Sorbates being released from juice as a gas over a period of time, I can not vouch for this, just something I over heard @ LHBS. Your best bet is to get a starter going with some other juice and pitch it in. Seeing as the juice has sat a few days maybe the PS has been neutralized and released as gas? (Again just something I over heard!) If you repitch with Montrachet and nothing happens in a week then I would try some Champagne yeast, it is the most resilient that I am aware of.

My Apfelwein has been in the better bottle for a week now. A little slow to start but man did it get started. Whole house smelled like rhino apple farts. Did Edwort's recipe to the tee no variations.

Can't wait!

So I am still seeing little bubbles rising in my carboy, even after 7 weeks. Bubbles are still rising, so I'm guessing its not done?

im on my 5th batch of edworts.....YEAST NUTRIENTS!!!!! I have yet to have rhino farts

I used Cote des Blanc yeast with nutrient at the recommended rate and a great deal of SO2 was still produced. Apparently there is more to the issue than nutrients.

maybe its the yeast im using, i usually add about a TSP of yeast nutrient with lalvin ec-1118 yeast. I let it ferment at room temp 68-70degrees have yet to experience rhino farts with my afpleweins 25gals an counting

I've seen a few posts throughout that recommend avoiding oxidation much the same way we would for beer or wine. My question is, what is itthat were avoiding oxidizing? In beer the hops alpha acids are the possible oxidants, wine its the tannins, what flavor elements would be affected by the oxygen? Would it be beneficial then to allow the SO2 to off gas by mixing it up some and get rid of the rhino farts since theyd be heavier still than the CO2?

Interesting question about oxidation. Apple juice does contain tannins, although probably on par with a white wine. My biggest concern with the poster who enjoys shaking his applewine carboy was the increased probability of introducing harmful microorganisms.
We can't forget that oxidation is also a process of destruction. In my mind it is always best to minimize or control that.
I've had to struggle with H2S in wine batches and it is not fun. They came about because i was relying on the wild yeasts for fermentation and they just weren't up to the task. Splashing the wine helped some but was generally ineffective and damaging to the product. The most effective way to deal with it is to run the liquid through a hose or funnel in which you have placed a sterilized copper scrubpad. Do I have to mention that a Brillo pad is not a good substitute?
Sulphur ions will then bond to the copper and voila! No more rhino flatulence.

Just kegged my first batch last night. I too started getting the stinks on this stuff after about three days (OP recipe exactly). So I read up on here about the yeast nutrient, put 1/2 teaspoon of Wyeast yeast nutrient through the carboy neck, two things happened. 1st: The wine foamed and spewed for about 4 solid minutes! wow, a little goes a long way and I had a sticky mess afterwards. I will in the future put the nutrient in the empty carboy before adding the juice, so I can regulate how fast to pour in based on the foaming. 2nd: Pretty much instantly cured the rhino fart smell. I had not a hint afterwards, so I am of the nutrient camp on this stuff from now on.

One tasting note from my 5week old sample when I racked last night. I was expecting it to taste a lot drier from what I read on here, it was rather sweet to me. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to back sweeten this stuff to get it sweeter, but could just be me. And I didnt take a FG so I can't be sure it finished, but I assume it did. Anyways, not really complaining, it's actually quite tasty and I made it for other non beer drinkers to drink anyways so I think it will be fine. Just some notes. Thanks for the recipe , Ed!

One glass of my 18mo old Apfelwein really knocked me on my butt last night. Well that along with 22oz of Stout and a pint of Baltic Porter, but yea I contribute my headache this morning to Edwort. Damn you!

Mine has only been going for a little over a week, but I think I am going to bottle one bottle or so at Easter just for people to try, I know it won't be at its peak taste after such a short amount of time, but I'm a little anxious.

But I am wondering, if I am going to drink some after only 6 weeks. Which would be better:
-letting it sit in the carboy and bottling it right before I am about to drink it
or
-putting some in a bottle and letting it sit in there for a week or so

or would either option really not make a difference?

I'm assuming you assembled your batch sometime around March 13th--based upon your posting date. Since Easter is on April 24th this year, I'd wait until the last minute and then bottle your batch. That way, you'll have some to try, some to share, and some to stash and continue to age.

Here's the thing though. If you haven't already made your second batch, then re-use that carboy to get that second batch going. If you have already started your second batch, I guess it wouldn't hurt to start your third batch with that carboy that you just bottled.

Either way, it's a win-win situation!

Cheers,
Michael

Already posted this somewhere else, but I just found a keg with 3 gallons of apfelwien thats been lagering for 4-5 months at 38. Just checked my notes. It was 3 months old before I even kegged it. This is without a doubt the longest apfelwien has ever lasted in my house. Normally its gone after about 3 weeks in the keg.

Already posted this somewhere else, but I just found a keg with 3 gallons of apfelwien thats been lagering for 4-5 months at 38. Just checked my notes. It was 3 months old before I even kegged it. This is without a doubt the longest apfelwien has ever lasted in my house. Normally its gone after about 3 weeks in the keg.
post how it tastes, compared to the younger version!

Just wonderin':
Who here has smelled a rhino fart? I mean literally.
H2S used to be identified by the term "rotten egg smell".
Are there people out there thinking "hmmm, this might be rhino fart or this could be wildebeest fart. I just DON"T KNOW!"?

When I was on safari in Africa I had domesticated three rhinos and I can tell you that their farts smell exactly like fermenting apfelwein. True story. :mug:

I made my Apfelwein a little over a month ago. Thought I'd share this picture a day after pitching. It made Apfelrings!

Apfelrings.jpg

Sorbate does not kill the yeast, it stops it from reproducing. If I were in your position I would make a very large starter, wait until it is at high krausen and then dump it in. Should be fine!

I bottled a batch last night that had 10lbs of sugar in it.

It's still pretty sweet, I think the sugar choked out the yeast :(

Ok, just had to chime in here, if for no other reason than to add to this legendary thread.

I made my first batch of this early last Summer. I let it ferment for around 10 weeks and bottled on August 14th. I have been tasting it around every 6 weeks or so and it's finally reached awesomeness, and if it continues to improve that's a bonus. Alcohol content is around 8.5%.

I chose to bottle it as a still cider, as I prefer my cider that way, but I've been experimenting with carbonating it with a bit of tonic water or a bit of 7-UP, both delicious.

cider.jpg

Cool thanks, so I take it that it's not a bad thing to have ? Or is it

A krausen may be present on an apfelwein depending on what type of juice you use. Fresh pressed juice has a tendency of showing a slight krausen from memory. Don't stress out if you don't have one :)

Has anyone tried to use a juicer and juice the heck out of a butt load of apples and then strain the pulp out and ferment it that way, think it would have a more profound apple taste, or just not worth the extra work, cause I think some granny smith apples would make a killer wine

Has anyone tried to use a juicer and juice the heck out of a butt load of apples and then strain the pulp out and ferment it that way, think it would have a more profound apple taste, or just not worth the extra work, cause I think some granny smith apples would make a killer wine

That's generally how cider is made. With the addition of the sugars that this recipe calls for you'll get into the wine ABV territory. This recipe is made to be simple, straightforward but damn tasty.

Back