Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone us langers 100% apple juice it sais no preservatives and the ingrdients are apple juice from concentrate(filtered water,apple juice from concentrate) should be great its only $2 for 101 ozs VS $4 for a gal of treetop at my local store so I was going to get 6 101 oz containers for $12 VS $20 for the treetop whatcha think

I'm gonna do this this weekend. I had my wife buy me....(us), 5 gal of Santa Cruz Organic Apple juice. I just need the yeast. Think I will add a couple cinnamon sticks and some nutmeg. Maybe a vanilla bean.

Bottled my second run last night - this one is made with PRICEY apple juice. $10 per gallon, local austin food co-op 100% organic and natural.

Ran a .996 FG on it too. :)

I'm making this for christmas. It looks as though I can use any apple juice as long as it's 100% and no preservatives. I found some apple juice @ BJ's and the ingredients were apple juice from concentrate and water. It says 100% juice and organic on the label. I'm assuming it should be fine. This looks soooo good. I have a feeling that everyone @ my house will be saying "Edwort is a Motherf@#$er!" the next day.:cross:

Bottled my second run last night - this one is made with PRICEY apple juice. $10 per gallon, local austin food co-op 100% organic and natural.

Ran a .996 FG on it too. :)

question on how you bottled it did you use corn sugar if so how much or just bottled it and what size bottles did you use

Any thoughs on adding frozen concentrate right before bottling to give it a stronger apple flavor and maybe some carbonation?

Or will it just create some messy grenades?

Started a run of this on Saturday. Man, it is stinky stuff! Looking to see if anybody else has had successful runs of other flavors, pear, cranberry or whatever, using this same method? :)

Second batch, with mods (ingredients below), tomorrow morning; will post pictures. I hope I can do Edwort justice!

apfelwinePLUSNov2010.jpg

I made a several batches using different juices and different sugars and amounts of sugar. So far the only one I have had that is ready is 3 gallons apple juice, 1 gallon cran rasp, 1/2 gallon pineapple. Cuvee yeast and 2lbs dextrose.

I like it better than plain Apfelwein, more fruity, sweeter. This Sunday folks will try it and the original recipe and I will report back. So far it seems people that aren't really wine drinkers prefer it modified and wine drinkers prefer the original.

I like all my Apfelwein, in a pint glass of ice with 2 packets of Splenda. Same deal non wine people like it like that so far and wine people like it straight up like wine.

Started a run of this on Saturday. Man, it is stinky stuff! Looking to see if anybody else has had successful runs of other flavors, pear, cranberry or whatever, using this same method? :)

I entered this recipe in a competition and won 1st place in the category. :tank: Two scores of 38. One judge was rated master.

One judge noted that it "should be stronger." I just laughed to myself....;)

wanting to start another batch but am out of yeast. i have a 5gallon batch about a week in, still bubbling strong. if i was to use a wine thief and take some from the active and put in the new would it kick off? if so how much should i use?

Finally got around to kegging my second batch. It had been in the primary for 6 months and the hydrometer sample tasted phenomenal!

I had a little scare when I noticed, after 4 days, that the out post on the keg was the wrong one and wasn't retaining pressure. :mad:

I was able to successfully transfer it to another keg and it is sealed under CO2 now. :ban:

Anyways, just wanted to say that I love this stuff and after 6 months in the carboy, it is smooth and very good.

Welp, just bottled a batch of apple/cinnamon using a can of frozen apple concentrate...

Hope it doesnt explode on me:)

Just in case, I'm throwing it into a 3L Double Bastard bottle I got for my birthday a couple years ago as well

I brought in a bottle of my first apfelwein to work for my wine drinking cube-mate to taste. It's the original recipe, around 8 weeks old, and is carbonated to a beer level, FG 0.999, likely consumed cold.

Interesting feedback he provided was that it was "very sweet". Now obviously there's a distinct apple flavor to it that gives the impression of sweetness, but the difference between actual sweetness and apparent sweetness seemed lost on him.

To the question: as a point of reference, what's a typical finishing gravity for a Chardonnay wine?

His main point was that it tasted like wine but super sweet, that it was much sweeter than most wine. I figure wine likely doesn't finish that much lower than 0.996, which wouldn't make much of a sweetness difference.

I guess I'm just trying to get a handle on the apparent sweetness...

That is very odd. I find Apfelwein very dry. A lot of the commercial ciders taste overly sweet compared to it. My FG's are always around 0.998-0.999 as well. I guess tastes are very different, but I would never call this stuff SWEET.

just brewed my first batch! scored 5 gallons of tree top 100% apple cider for $15. by far the easiest homebrew i have made. mix, shake, pour, done! definitly gonna do more of this and less brewing... well a little less. cheers to edwort!:mug:

Apple cider??? Are you sure? Check because if it is Cider and not Juice you could be in trouble store bought Apple Cider 99.9% of the time has Sorbate in it which will prevent fermentation. Trust me I know ;)

I'm making a batch with cider.

I checked with the orchard, they werent going to use sorbate until the next batch of cider they were making...

It's fermenting now.

I found organic cider at Giant this week that was 100% apples, no extra sugars or preservatives. I was shocked I found it at a chain grocery store.

no i meant what i said. its tree top apple cider 100% juice. ingredients: apple cider from concentrate. no sorbate or anything else. its already bubbling nicely.:rockin:

Wow!

A batch that I may have bottled a bit early 3 weeks ago is now slightly carbonated.

It was 2/5 apple 3/5 blueberry/pomegranite with 4lbs of dextrose added. Its delicious but kinda sour when its not carbonated.

I stowed some of it away in hopes that it became carbonated over time, and I was right :)

Any brands I should look for in Canada? I am having a ***** of a time finding a gallon jug of the right stuff. Everything is either full of preservatives, or comes in a small volume. The only suitable juice I found at two grocery stores was in 1L containers, there is no way I am buying 20+ of those bad boys. Haha. Any brand in particular carried by Lawblaws, Sobeys, etc? I am assuming I don't want anything with vitamin C added. Is that correct? I am sure this has been covered several times in this thread, but I think 700+ pages is a bit intimidating for narrowing down info.

Any brands I should look for in Canada? I am having a ***** of a time finding a gallon jug of the right stuff. Everything is either full of preservatives, or comes in a small volume. The only suitable juice I found at two grocery stores was in 1L containers, there is no way I am buying 20+ of those bad boys. Haha. Any brand in particular carried by Lawblaws, Sobeys, etc? I am assuming I don't want anything with vitamin C added. Is that correct?

I'm 5 weeks in to my apfelwein using the Canned 1L stuff. It was on sale, so i picked up 2 flats.

on another note, as I said, I'm 5 weeks in, and I just noticed today that I have some round brown chunks floating in my carboy now. What is it?

Any brands I should look for in Canada? I am having a ***** of a time finding a gallon jug of the right stuff. Everything is either full of preservatives, or comes in a small volume. The only suitable juice I found at two grocery stores was in 1L containers, there is no way I am buying 20+ of those bad boys. Haha. Any brand in particular carried by Lawblaws, Sobeys, etc? I am assuming I don't want anything with vitamin C added. Is that correct? I am sure this has been covered several times in this thread, but I think 700+ pages is a bit intimidating for narrowing down info.

Vitamin C is okay. Sometimes it's listed as Ascorbic Acid. What you really want to watch out for is preservatives like Sorbic acid and its salts, such as sodium sorbate, potassium sorbate, and calcium sorbate.

Both of the 5 gal batches I started last week bubbled out through the airlocks and I had to swap them out. My first batch foamed up but nothing like these two. Is there any particular reason for that?

So I kegged my first batch last night after 4 weeks in the carboy. Will it continue to age in the fridge under co2 pressure while I am drinking it? Or do I really need to stash it in the closet?

Both of the 5 gal batches I started last week bubbled out through the airlocks and I had to swap them out. My first batch foamed up but nothing like these two. Is there any particular reason for that?

did you use a different type of yeast than the first batch because that could do it.

5 gals of treetop, Montrachet yeast, 2lbs of cane sugar, 2 teaspoons of yeast energizer. Slow to start, but then it took off. Rhino farts are on there way; more a neutral smell, not that bad, but definitely not appealing.

So I kegged my first batch last night after 4 weeks in the carboy. Will it continue to age in the fridge under co2 pressure while I am drinking it? Or do I really need to stash it in the closet?

If you're happy with it now, go ahead and start serving. Just make another batch or two so you can put some age on those before digging in.

Hey guys I would love to make up a couple 5 gal batches of Apfel, but I dont want it taking up space in my kegerator for many months. Can it age warm? If I ferment for a month, then keg, can I leave it room temperature? Carbed or flat? Will it age correctly?

Back