Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you saying that you primed with approximately 10.5 oz. (302 g) of sugar? If you did I hope you used sturdy bottles as that is more than twice the recommended amount for five gallons.

I cant wait any longer so I bottled it and primed with 4 cups of the same apple juice, 2 cups water and 190g of dextrose.

Just wanted to comment that I tasted my apfelwein for the first time today, after sitting for exactly 7 weeks. I plan on letting it bulk age until December, and bottle it then, ready to serve over Christmas. Plan on bottle carbing half, other half still.

The taste was good, still has a hint of sweetness. Looking forward to how this will taste in several months!

I started some apfelwein in early March. OG=1.054 ( Surprisingly low as I followed the recipe). When I checked a couple of weeks ago the SG was just under 1.000. However, I am still seeing bubbles rising to the top, albeit very slowly.

This is my first experience with wine yeast (one packet of Montrachet), and I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me what to expect. I've seen people say apfelwein should sit 8 months and I've seen people drinking it after 2 months. How long will it keep bubbling? Is the bubbling a result of the yeast cleaning up byproducts of fermentation? Will this improve the product?

Also, I'm planning to keg my first batch this weekend and would like to get another one going. I'm thinking about padding apple juice and dextrose right on top of the cake after I rack off the finished product. Any reason this would be a problem with the Montrachet for apfelwein?

Any and all comments are welcome.

Tom...

Those little bubbles will continue to rise for some time. With a specific gravity that low, I'd go ahead and keg the stuff! Remember, however, that apfelwein takes a bit longer to carbonate than beer does.

As far as pitching the second batch directly on top of the first, I have not done that, but there are several posts in this HUGE thread that have, with successful results. It's your call, but fresh montrachet yeast is cheap.

glenn514:mug:

made this in march and drank it over the weekend. very very dry and very good. powerful but extremely drinkable. kegged and forced carbed it worked like a dream.

thanks for the recipe

Well, I am going to take the leap today and make my first batch! In reading much of this thread, I think I am going to go with a dextrose/Brown Sugar mix, and have two questions:

I have RedStar E491 Champagne yeast and Nottingham Brewing yeast, which one should I use?

I read several pages back about the use of oak spirals to give some added character; I am not familiar with how to use these. Do I have to sanitize them somehow? At what point should they be put in the carboy, and for how long?

Many thanks and I will post on the progress as it goes along.

John

I stopped in Wal Mart today and picked up some Great Value apple juice. $1.50 for a 96 ounce bottle. I'll be racking a batch to keg this weekend and addingthe GV juice onto the cake with some dextrose. If this comes out alright, I'll have 5 gallons for less than $13 out of pocket.

I have RedStar E491 Champagne yeast and Nottingham Brewing yeast, which one should I use?
Champagne yeast, I would say.
I read several pages back about the use of oak spirals to give some added character; I am not familiar with how to use these. Do I have to sanitize them somehow? At what point should they be put in the carboy, and for how long?
I've only used oak in beer, which I did by first covering the oak chunks with vodka for a little bit, then transferred them to secondary. If I were adding oak, I'd do the same, and add it to the fermenter about two weeks in?

Personally, my advice on this would be to make the recipe as-is, and see how you like it. If you want more character, then play with it on the next batch. It's hyper easy, so nailing down exactly what you like should be a snap - the only kicker being the length of time it takes for it to ferment and mature.

Thanks for the advice. I just made the jump; used the champagne yeast, 1.5lbs of corn and .5 lbs of brown sugar (boiled in 2C water). It is 97 degrees outside; inside, the coolest I can get it is around 78 in the "fermentation room." OG 1.058. Can't wait!

Thanks for the advice. I just made the jump; used the champagne yeast, 1.5lbs of corn and .5 lbs of brown sugar (boiled in 2C water). It is 97 degrees outside; inside, the coolest I can get it is around 78 in the "fermentation room." OG 1.058. Can't wait!
78 is right around where you want to be. Congrats on banging it out - now prepare for a MINIMUM of four weeks of torture while you wait for this. (And a few days of disgusting stench during the initial fermentation)

In other news, love the logo. Nicely done. If you have a kegerator - or are planning one - I spotted the perfect tap handle for you:

Silver%20Rocket%20Render_s%20.jpg

http://www.maverickbarproducts.com/customtap.htm

Thanks, Ubermick, I look forward to it. I just bottled my first homebrew to make way in the carboy for the apfelwein, a bock that I totally most definitely ruined (I have dubbed it "Assbock" based on the final gravity sample that I tasted) unless some real magic happens in the bottle over the next few weeks. Next up is a Sierra Nevada clone which (if the supplies from Midwest come in this week) should be in the primary by Saturday.

Thanks for the complement on the logo. When I saw the tap handle, well, it took my breath away. I am actually new to homebrewing so I can learn as much as I can about the brewing process, materials, styles, and so on. I have a Small Business Admin loan in the works and a contract on a piece of property to create the Spaceport Brewpub; will post a new thread on it soon as it gets closer to financing. I have 14 different logos that I am narrowing down to 4-5 to use, with this one probably becoming the sign on the outside of the building and the main logo for use on menus, glassware, t-shirts, and so on:

spbo6_sm.jpg

Anyway, don't mean to hijack this thread, as it is about Apflewien and yes, I can't wait to have that first one!

(And a few days of disgusting stench during the initial fermentation)

I found that adding Yeast nutrient (I used FERMAX at just under the recommended dose of 1 tsp per gallon at pitching time) really reduces or totally eliminates the Rhino Farts. Worked for the last batch with Montrachet, and my current batch using EC-1118 (also prone to sulfide production) has only the faintest odor when I get my nose right up to the airlock. Didn't change the flavor at all (in fact, the last batch was better than the one before it with no nutrient). I generally use 50:50 Dextrose/Brown sugar as well.

I found that adding Yeast nutrient (I used FERMAX at just under the recommended dose of 1 tsp per gallon at pitching time) really reduces or totally eliminates the Rhino Farts. Worked for the last batch with Montrachet, and my current batch using EC-1118 (also prone to sulfide production) has only the faintest odor when I get my nose right up to the airlock. Didn't change the flavor at all (in fact, the last batch was better than the one before it with no nutrient). I generally use 50:50 Dextrose/Brown sugar as well.
Outstanding tip, Recluse!! I'll be doing this for sure on my next batch.

Yep, yeast nutrient FTW!

And spaceport, that is seriously one of the best logos I've seen on here. That's awesome and I can't wait to read your future updates on the brewpub :mug:

Well, here it is, happily bubbling away. I saw the first bit of white lace on top after three hours of pitching; this photo was taken this morning after 12 hours. It has a nice ring of lace, and when I look closely, millions of tiny champagne bubbles are working up the mix. Room temp 75; we are due to hit 100+ today so the bathtub may get some water and ice. Man, I can taste it already!

apfelwein.jpg

Thanks Marubozo for the props on the logo!:mug:

I stopped in Wal Mart today and picked up some Great Value apple juice. $1.50 for a 96 ounce bottle. I'll be racking a batch to keg this weekend and addingthe GV juice onto the cake with some dextrose. If this comes out alright, I'll have 5 gallons for less than $13 out of pocket.

If you want to save even more money, you can use table sugar instead of dextrose. You might be 3-5 points higher on your FG, but it'll taste just as good.

If you want to save even more money, you can use table sugar instead of dextrose. You might be 3-5 points higher on your FG, but it'll taste just as good.

I may try it on the next batch, but there seems to be mixed opinion about some off flavors being imparted by table sugar.

I try to change one variable at a time and the cheap apple juice savings are way bigger than the sugar savings would have been.

I may try it on the next batch, but there seems to be mixed opinion about some off flavors being imparted by table sugar.

I try to change one variable at a time and the cheap apple juice savings are way bigger than the sugar savings would have been.

50% Brown sugar doesn't seem to hurt anything. It is funny.. most of the beer wisdom says table sugar imparts a 'cidery' quality. Seems like that wouldn't be too bad for what is pretty much a cider!!!

man i am at three weeks fermenting and its at about 1.008. tasted a sample and its amazing!!!! this stuff gonna get me in trouble :) one more week to go!

I've got my first batch going....I also made some changes(not sure why, the original seemed to rock!) I used 2 1/2 lbs of honey instead of the sugar, I also added a cocktail of yeast nutrients(mainly because I added the honey), I pitched two packs of yeast(because I'm a man and could!!), and I used unfiltered juice. Can't wait!!

I've got my first batch going....I also made some changes(not sure why, the original seemed to rock!) I used 2 1/2 lbs of honey instead of the sugar, I also added a cocktail of yeast nutrients(mainly because I added the honey), I pitched two packs of yeast(because I'm a man and could!!), and I used unfiltered juice. Can't wait!!

If you want it clear you might want to throw in some Pectic Enzyme just in case due to the unfiltered juice, but I bet it will clear on its own..

50% Brown sugar doesn't seem to hurt anything. It is funny.. most of the beer wisdom says table sugar imparts a 'cidery' quality. Seems like that wouldn't be too bad for what is pretty much a cider!!!

Exactly. I think the 'cidery' flavor comes from residual fructose from the table sugar (just a hypothesis). I made my last batch with 2lbs table sugar, and it's better than either of my previous two batches made with dextrose. On the other hand, this last batch was in primary for 5 months, instead of 1-2 like the others.

Just got the latest Costco coupons in the mail.... BINGO- $2 off of 2 gallons of Mott's brand apple juice. I almost bought my 5 gallons 2 days ago, but didn't- this seems like a sign from God that it's time to try this recipe...
Wish they didn't have a limit of 2 or I would stock up for future batches!

search around in the parking lot, you may find other coupon books discarded, or go to customer service and says you "forgot" your coupon book, my costco keeps some of those discarded books behind the counter so you can try and score a coupon out of them.. unless every member is brewin Apfelwein... then they will all be gone.

Just got the latest Costco coupons in the mail.... BINGO- $2 off of 2 gallons of Mott's brand apple juice. I almost bought my 5 gallons 2 days ago, but didn't- this seems like a sign from God that it's time to try this recipe...
Wish they didn't have a limit of 2 or I would stock up for future batches!

Whoa. I missed that coupon when we skimmed the coupon book. Thanks for the heads-up, I'm heading straight there after work on Friday now. :D

question....i used table sugar instead of corn sugar, Montrachet wine yeast, tree top apple juice. ambiant temp is around 70. check the gravity last week (week 3) it was around 1.008. check it again on 4th week and its still the same. will table sugar ferment down to .098 like the recipe says?

question....i used table sugar instead of corn sugar. check the gravity last week (week 3) it was around 1.008. check it again on 4th week and its still the same. will table sugar ferment down to .098 like the recipe says?

I used plain old sugar too and it fermented to below 1.0 using lavlin 1118 and an OG of over 1.1 (yes it was STRONG)

Whoa that really IS ApfelWEIN! Probably on the order of 16% ABV!!

I've had Meads that got up to almost 18% with EC-1118. I used this yeast in my current batch of Apfelwein. Fermentation was done in about 3-4 days and it is already clearing at less that 2 weeks! Haven't taken a gravity but if experience is any guide the EC-1118 chewed through every bit of the fermentables. I was worried because my packet was quite far past its expiration date, but it certainly took off like fresh yeast.

I left it in primary about 3 months, put it in my TaD and carbed it, then drank it mixed about 2 parts wine to 1 part sprite and it was so damned good. Immediately made another 5 gallons, I'm down to my last TaD of THAT batch, got a 3 gal batch working now with some black bananas I pureed and boiled for a bit (to sterilize hopefully) and I plan to start 10 more gallons tonight or tomorrow, don't wanna run out of this golden elixir of the Gods! It's amazing how if you drink it as is, it's just a good basic white wine, throw in some sprite and all the taste goes from dry white wine with a nice apple undertone to IN YOUR FACE apple juice, with little to no alcohol taste. It'll sneak right up on you and bite you square in the nose! Even my teetotaller wife will drink a glass of apfelspritewine.

Just began bottling a batch I started 5 weeks ago. I simply could not wait to try it. OG 1.070 and finished out around .998 or so. Tastes GREAT! Very dry but refreshing. I plan on starting another batch soon, really wish I had started one sooner, as I'm sure this one will go fast. Tonight should be fun :drunk:

question....i used table sugar instead of corn sugar, Montrachet wine yeast, tree top apple juice. ambiant temp is around 70. check the gravity last week (week 3) it was around 1.008. check it again on 4th week and its still the same. will table sugar ferment down to .098 like the recipe says?

It probably won't get quite as low, since yeast don't ferment fructose (half of sucrose, table sugar) quite as efficiently as glucose (aka dextrose, corn sugar). If it's been at 1.008 for a full week, it's probably done, but it'll taste a whole lot better if you leave it for a few more months before bottling (if you can stand it). My last batch was with table sugar, and I gave it 5 months in primary, and it came out awesome.

I haven't searched through every page of this thread, for obvious reasons, but I'm having trouble seeing where this is "German" hard cider. Could someone explain, please? Is it just that a dryer, boosted ABV cider is what is common in Germany?

New, first batch, and a question or two. Fermentation has slowed to one bubble every 15 seconds or so after 10 days. I would really like to take a sample for a gravity reading and TASTE. Is there any harm in this? And, if it is at the ABV and sweetness level I am looking for, can I kill fermentation and if so, will it clear so I can bottle?

New, first batch, and a question or two. Fermentation has slowed to one bubble every 15 seconds or so after 10 days. I would really like to take a sample for a gravity reading and TASTE. Is there any harm in this? And, if it is at the ABV and sweetness level I am looking for, can I kill fermentation and if so, will it clear so I can bottle?

No harm in a gravity or taste (use sanitized wine thief/turkey baster). As far as killing fermentation, I suppose you could do it with sorbate and Sulfite and it should clear well enough for bottling. I did this for a quick 'No Age' Sweet Mead and it turned out ok (a little TOO sweet, actually) but I don't really like adding sorbate/sulfite as a general rule. You could also cold crash it, which should stop fermentation and precipitate most of the yeast, but I have no direct experience with this method.

Awesome, just took a reading; dead-on 1.00 from an OG of 1.058. I think this puts me at about 7.5%. The taste was sweeter than I expected; and it was still in the process as it was a bit fizzy. I am going to just be patient and leave it alone for another two weeks.

I haven't searched through every page of this thread, for obvious reasons, but I'm having trouble seeing where this is "German" hard cider. Could someone explain, please? Is it just that a dryer, boosted ABV cider is what is common in Germany?

Apparently, though it's not clear whether "common" really applies.

Back