Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of the Health Food stores around me (I think Whole Foods as well) have Natural Apple Juices in Glass Jugs. One brand is Knudsen's.

Made a really great Cyser with this stuff! It is pretty expensive though, ~8.99 gal if I recall correctly from a recent check) so large batches will be costly.
Knutsen's "gallon" jug is only 3 quarts, all of the time I have seen them.

Knutsen's "gallon" jug is only 3 quarts, all of the time I have seen them.

That's odd.. when I got it for my Cyser (granted, this was 2 years ago..) it was a full gallon. I even have used the empty jug as a gallon fermenter. Maybe in the intervening years, it's gone the way of the incredible shrinking Hershey Bar.. smaller amt for the same price...

Interesting, though on the Knudsen's site, they only list the 96 oz container as the largest..maybe there is a change.

That's fine, but you won't be able to see when it clears.

So perhaps I could start it in the primary bucket, then transfer it to the carboy in a few weeks when I bottle the beer that's currently in there. Any harm in doing this?

Ok, I've brewed plenty of beers and 1 mead, but I've never attempted anything like this. I was looking for a hard cider recipe, but the simplicity of this is too hard to pass up. I read a good 30 pages here before giving up and deciding to post.

I'm going to stick with the basic recipe (5 gallons juice, 2 lbs dextrose, and montrachet wine yeast) with the addition of some spices (I was thinking a few cinnamon sticks and maybe 5 or 6 whole cloves).

Does anyone have a recommended spiced version?

Hats off to you Ed! I bottled my Apfelwein on Saturday after it had been sitting in the primary for 3+ months. I'm going to let it sit in the bottles another couple of months before I try it again. This stuff is as good as advertised!

What is the highest anyone has gotten Apfelwein in %ABV with this, going off of recipe of course.

I mean, will Montrachet stop working very well past 11 or 12%?

What is the highest anyone has gotten Apfelwein in %ABV with this, going off of recipe of course.

I mean, will Montrachet stop working very well past 11 or 12%?

Our first batch ended up being ~10.5% but we didn't use Montrachet. It was Lalvin EC-1118

Wow... after 3 weeks (room temp. 78 degrees) my first batch went clear.

I had a 5 gal. batch and a 1 gal. batch. I racked the 1 gal. batch and put it in the fridge to chill.

I purchased a bottle of Possmann's Applewine in "Germany" at Epcot's world showcase...and I like the homebrew version better...and just 21 days after mixing. Wow.

I did use Wyeast Chateau Red yeast. Very low sulpher production. And settled out unexpectantly clear after only 21 days.

I love Cider...and will admit that the Apfelwein is a dryer finish than I'm used to. I know it's blasphemy...but I tried a glass of the apfelwein with a shot of lemonade in it...and Wow is that ever good. Crisp, clean, refreshing... might be my new thirst quencher!

Whoever said...start a new batch two weeks after you start your first might be right. But I think with this yeast...I'll be drinking sooner (no 6 month wait for it to smooth out)

I'd be very interested...

If there's anyone out there that's already got some EdWort's in production --- about to make another batch. Try the Wyeast 4028 and see if you're happy with the results. I'd be very interested in knowing how the flavor profile compares...and if you also think it might produce an excellent apfelwein in less time.

Sure will free up a lot of carboys for beer making...if the apfelwein production is speeded up without sacrificing flavor aroma, clarity, etc...

I may be willing to try that, I have to wait until a carboy opens up though. (one with room for krausen)

I may be willing to try that, I have to wait until a carboy opens up though. (one with room for krausen)

Awesome! I hope you like it compared to your other recipe. The Chateau Red (Wyeast 4028) doesn't really form much krausen. No blowoff tube required...and you can fill the carboy pretty full without worry.

You might try a 1 gal batch...in case my idea of good doesn't meaure up to the original recipe. I couldn't get the Montrachet Yeast at my LHBS...so that's why I experimented with the 4028 in the first place.

One problem, looks like my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast products. Or maybe they aren't on their website.

I was asking what kind of volume of headspace I would need for the wyeast experiment mentioned above. Is this what you used?

That's all... I probably have about 2" between the airlock and the surface of the must. It doesn't get gunky on top. Just a little foamy during the peak fermentation.

Mine has been sitting in the primary for 5 months (couldn't get to it any sooner). Is it going to have yeast bite or is it ok?

I doubt it's got any off flavors. I've let it sit in the primary for 3 month b4 and it tastes great.

Nice find! When I visit a cider mill or when I watched a friend (an avid amateur winemaker) crush his grapes, I am struck by the 'apparent' lack of sanitation.

We go through such great lengths as homebrewers to sanitize everything..boil, Iodophor, bleach...but these guys press their juice in a wooden contraption outdoors, letting the juice run into an open bucket then slap it into the fermenter.

Are we the crazy ones?

How long does it typically take for the ass smell to go away? Blaming it on the apfelwien is getting to be a standard thing in my house.

Got a batch started Tuesday evening.

This a the mother of all threads! Been lurking for a while and finally registered -- reckon I may as well join in on the fun. It's the first brewing/winemaking effort of any sort for me. The airlock is perking right along so it looks like the yeastie beasties are getting busy.

By the sound of some reports here my October 27 start date may have been a little close to Xmas for the batch to smooth out by then. Ah well, here's hoping for a successful first tasting at annual holiday get together with my wife's side of the (German/Czech) family.

Depending on this works out I'll either be the hero or the Xmas joke for years to come. lol!

Got a batch started Tuesday evening.

This a the mother of all threads! Been lurking for a while and finally registered -- reckon I may as well join in on the fun. It's the first brewing/winemaking effort of any sort for me. The airlock is perking right along so it looks like the yeastie beasties are getting busy.

By the sound of some reports here my October 27 start date may have been a little close to Xmas for the batch to smooth out by then. Ah well, here's hoping for a successful first tasting at annual holiday get together with my wife's side of the (German/Czech) family.

Depending on this works out I'll either be the hero or the Xmas joke for years to come. lol!

its drinkable after about 3 weeks in bottles but gets better as it goes. there is a definant yeast bite and alcohol burn till about 3 months in bottles. mine didnt last long enough but others have said that about 6-8 months in bottles is when it starts peaking flavor

Wow! I DO love apfelwein!!

I just kegged my 5 gal batch. It's a batch I made with Wyeast 4028 (since they didn't have the Montrachet)...Member's Mark Apple Juice, and 15 oz of dextrose.

It went clear after 21 days...I just kegged it on day 27... and poured some over Ice w/ a splash of Lemonade... Oh baby is that stuff good!!!

I think I'm going to order 5 - 1 gallon jugs and airlocks & stoppers... Keep one in the fridge with finished apfelwein...and chain brew with the other 4 jugs. Figure I'd start a batch once a week...and innoculate the fresh must with yeast from the jug just ready for drinking. When the neighbors all find out about the stuff...I'll probably have to start doing 5 gallon batches.

Apple Juice has a whole new attraction now...

Like the old saying goes... An apfel a day, keeps the doctor away :)

be careful with airlocks in 1 gal jugs, I tried that and the bubbler filled up with juice and yeast. If you're not going to leave head space, then you may want to use a blow off tube.

be careful with airlocks in 1 gal jugs, I tried that and the bubbler filled up with juice and yeast. If you're not going to leave head space, then you may want to use a blow off tube.

The Wyeast 4028 doesn't climb out of the air lock. It clouds up the must...then it starts releasing bubbles that form just a little bit of foam on the surface...then it drops clear.

The only drawback to the yeast is...it's not finishing as dry as those using Montrachet report. I haven't gotten an accurate F.G. ( I need to degas the sample) but with a few carb bubbles sticking to the hydrometer...it's at 1.010...w/ an O.G. of 1.060. I'm not shooting for the 8% abv...very happy with 6.5% and I was surprised that the Possmann's apfelwein that I purchased is actually 5.5%. Maybe if I were patient enough to let it ferment for another couple of months it would dry out more.

That drawback is actually a plus for my palate. I love the flavor just like it is. It's a great session drink --- with just a splash of MinuteMaid Lemonade in it!! I might have to get this UF version of a "Bembel" to serve it from for the college game today!!

http://www.beallsflorida.com/r/Hand...e_Safe_Ceramic_Ceramic/product?styleid=94006&

Go Gators!

Okie dokie. I am getting a wierd fermenting thing going on. I figure it is nothing to worry about, but I thought I would share. It appears to be a clump of unliquified brown sugar being attacked by the yeastie boys. Oh, and I can't see through at the bottom to see what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5muu-9m3IQ

Blair Witch Apfelwein Project?

Haha, that sound is my boxer, he was standing next to me watching me film. If I start finding wierd stick figures around I will report it. Oh, and the bulk of the fermenting has stopped. The only bubbles are coming from that one spot. I guess they like what they have there.

Here is my airlock activity after less than 24 hours. It has actually picked up ever more in the past hour or so. About 2 expulsions a second. It's driving my wife nuts, but all I hear is the sound of delicious apfelwein.

[youtube]fboxGkXXck[/youtube]

Not sure why the [.youtube] tag isnt working for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was walking through the juice aisle at the grocery store and happened to stop in front of the gallon jugs of Mott's apple juice when a happy thought crossed my mind and I tossed five of 'em into my cart.

First batch of apfelwein is now pitched with Montrachet and will hopefully be bubbling away happily pretty soon. :)

The only Montrachet I could get, expired seven months ago, so I rehydrated and pitched two packets. 10 cents a piece, though; can't beat that.

Somewhat newbie here. I have only brewed two beers so far -- Irish Stout and Old Ale. This is the first time I have tried to ferment Apfelwein. Man, was it easy. I bought ten 64 ounce bottles of cheap 100% apple juice from ALDI for around $12 bucks. The only extra additive in it is Absorbic Acid (Vitamin C) but I read on this thread that this would not be a problem. Other than the Absorbic Acid in the apple juice, I followed EdWort's recipe exactly -- I bought 2 pounds of Corn Sugar, Montrachet Yeast, and a 6 gallon Better Bottle from my LHBS (Chicagoland Winemakers, Inc. in Elmhurst, Illinois -- great little store). These Better Bottles are great at only around $25 bucks. I think I am going to buy a second one and ferment another batch of Apfelwein like EdWort says to.

Anyways, my first batch has only been fermenting for a day and a half and I have seen all of the same action as the rest of you. First, the yeast sort of settled at the bottom of my Better Bottle and looked like stalagmites rising up. Later, a krausen ring formed on the surface of the apple juice that did not touch the sides of the Better Bottle. This morning, I am already getting a bubble blowoff every two seconds.

I can't believe how cheap and easy this is to make and I can't wait to taste it! :mug:

I'm happy to say I have my first batch going. I'm using generic Members Mark apple juice from Sam's and EC-1118 yeast based on a recommendation from my LHBS owner. I know that it will ferment out pretty dry, but my OG was 1.058. Does that seem a little low, or about right? I think I saw someone saying their OG was 1.060, but I'm not fully confident in my hydrometer-reading skills.

Aldi sounds like a good spot for picking up cheap apple juice...

I'm happy to say I have my first batch going. I'm using generic Members Mark apple juice from Sam's and EC-1118 yeast based on a recommendation from my LHBS owner. I know that it will ferment out pretty dry, but my OG was 1.058. Does that seem a little low, or about right? I think I saw someone saying their OG was 1.060, but I'm not fully confident in my hydrometer-reading skills.

Aldi sounds like a good spot for picking up cheap apple juice...

Did you use dextrose?

Did you use dextrose?

Two lbs, as suggested... maybe it wasn't mixed up well enough. Most of it went in with the first few gallons, shaken with half the juice in the bottle.

What should the OG be for the 5 gal juice + 2 lbs dextrose?

Back