Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the home brew store and they were out of the pound bags of dextrose so he went in back got "two" pounds worth of smaller bags. so fast forward i put all the bags in the carboy and then i realize he gave 3 pounds instead of 2. :mad: Will this have an adverse effect on the wine? should i worry about it? will it effect the taste? alcohol content? :drunk: the batch size is 5.5 gallons i have a 6 gallon glass carboy didnt want to waste the space.

Alcohol will be higher, and the final product could possibly be a little sweeter. Most likely, the only thing you'd notice is a hotter taste from the alcohol. It should still be good :mug:

How carbed up do you like your Apfelwein? I kegged my first batch and set the PSI at 12 for three weeks. Not enough gas for me. Then I put it on 18 PSI for three days and still not enough gas. Then 25 PSI for 3.5 days. Pretty good carb level but still doesn't taste super bubbly in my mouth. What do most of you do PSI wise to get it nice and fizzy?

All right. I'll get started on more ASAP! My closet smells a bit like some grape hooch I used to make in college though...

Ahh, the wonderful aroma of fermenting Apfelwein!!!! I do 16 gallons at a time and for a couple of days, it's heaven. :cross:

Has anyone used Munton's Carb tabs? How many tabs per bottle did you find worked best?? Thanks!

I have used them, they did not work all that well.. if you can possibly use regular dextrose I would recommend that route. Munton's Carbtabs have a percentage of Malt Extract which, by this point, is rather hard for your yeasts to ferment since they aren't used to fermenting maltose.

I would say, thought I have not tried, that Cooper's Carbonation Drops would work much better since they are Glucose and Dextrose. Just my $.02, hope this helps!

I have used them, they did not work all that well.. if you can possibly use regular dextrose I would recommend that route. Munton's Carbtabs have a percentage of Malt Extract which, by this point, is rather hard for your yeasts to ferment since they aren't used to fermenting maltose.

I would say, thought I have not tried, that Cooper's Carbonation Drops would work much better since they are Glucose and Dextrose. Just my $.02, hope this helps!

Glucose == dextrose

Also, it took my batch like 4-5 months to get a good level of carbonation using a standard beer concentration of dextrose, but I think that's because I was keeping the bottles in the low 60s. Really good now, though :rockin:

How carbed up do you like your Apfelwein? I kegged my first batch and set the PSI at 12 for three weeks. Not enough gas for me. Then I put it on 18 PSI for three days and still not enough gas. Then 25 PSI for 3.5 days. Pretty good carb level but still doesn't taste super bubbly in my mouth. What do most of you do PSI wise to get it nice and fizzy?

I have mine cranked up to 30 PSI, which seems just right to me.

I have a dual pressure regulator and I usually run beer and soda water simultaneously. I've learned from trial and error that soda water (and soda) should be at 35 PSI or so. I figured that the carbonation should be closer to soda than beer.

I have mine cranked up to 30 PSI, which seems just right to me.

I have a dual pressure regulator and I usually run beer and soda water simultaneously. I've learned from trial and error that soda water (and soda) should be at 35 PSI or so. I figured that the carbonation should be closer to soda than beer.

Makes sense. I had another glass last night and while it is better than before it still isn't really carbonated the way I think it should be. Part of the problem is I have only tried Apfelwein one time and can't remember how carbed up it was. My recollection is that it was really carbed (and I liked it). I think I will dial it up again to 35 PSI and see how how I like that.

My summer read has been this thread, i'm 380 pages in after starting my first batch 4 weeks ago. The apfelwein has cleared but the gravity has not dropped below 1.018. I took a sample a week ago and it was about the same gravity and i took one yesterday and it was still the same. I tried rousing the yeast a little last week when i took the first gravity reading but it doesn't seem to have helped.

The sample tastes good (i was hoping for it to be a little more dry) but i didn't know if it was common for it to clear first before reaching its desired fg of .998 or less. I followed Edwort's recipe exactly.

I followed the recipe exactly too and mine cleared very quickly -- maybe 3 weeks. I've taken a few samples and it's quite tasty. Mine's been in the carboy for 6 or 7 weeks now and I'm bottling this weekend. I have not taken a single gravity reading, but I'll take one this weekend at bottling time and get back to you.

just started my first batch of apfelwein two days ago. came home and the airlock is full of apple juice and vodka. i guess i filled the better bottle too full of apple juice. is it really necessary that i change the airlock if it hasnt blown the top off yet? i know, i know...i am being lazy. but what is going to happen if i dont change it? by the way, i am really excited to drink this one. it looks amazing

Has anyone used Munton's Carb tabs? How many tabs per bottle did you find worked best?? Thanks!

When I bottled a couple of weeks ago I did a test 6 pack using Munton's. 2 bottles with 1 tab, 2 with 2, and 2 bottles with 3 tabs. For the first couple of days I tipped the bottles upside down a couple of times to make sure the tabs were dissolved. I just went in the kitchen and tipped them upside down and there is a corresponding layer of sediment in the bottom of each bottle so it looks like the yeast did it's job. I'll probably give these a try in the next week or so and I'll post up the results.

I just pulled a sample from my batch to check the gravity.
1 month old, sitting at 1.000 and clearing out nicely. Tasted as dry as it should be.

I'm planning on 1/2 sparkling in beer bottles with Coopers Carb Drops, then half still in wine bottles.

Debating doing some backsweeting for part of the bottles. For those using Splenda, about how much are you using?

Me too. I had around 5 bottles of this stuff last night and I'm amazed at how rough I feel right now.

M'F**kr! :cross:

My original post was time stamped 2.40PM west coast. Calling Ed a M'F**kr! was the first and only productive thing i did yesterday.

All due respect, of course, Mr. Wort :drunk:

Tasted some german apfelwein in germany one week ago.

This tastes roughly the same as the genuine thing :)

Debating doing some backsweeting for part of the bottles. For those using Splenda, about how much are you using?

Marty, I just poured a bottle of apfelwein over a single pack worth of Spenda, threw in a handful of ice cubes, and it tastes awesome. I'm going to try half a pack in the next glass.

i bottled my first 2.5 gallons last night.

i was transferring it to the bottling bucket when i looked down and noticed that when i turned the spigot a quarter turn, the grommet slipped out and mr. wort's apfelwein was slowly gathering on my floor.......

so, i immediately tipped the bucket back and stuck my hand down in there to loosen the fitting, fix the grommet and proceed to transfer the rest into the bucket.

i'm pretty sure at least part of my hand got into the apfelwein.

i'm hoping i didn't screw up my very first go at this.

i also tried to bottle into a twist off bottle and didn't figure that out until i couldn't cap it. oh well, i ended up needing that bottle to help me forget about all the bull**** that ensued during the process.

i also tried to bottle into a twist off bottle and didn't figure that out until i couldn't cap it. oh well, i ended up needing that bottle to help me forget about all the bull**** that ensued during the process.
I bottle all my wine in twist off what was wrong with yours?

I bet you'll be fine. btw, I bottled mine this morning. I think it's 6 or 7 weeks old now and clear as can be. I did 9 Grolsch bottles with 1 carbonation tab each, 5 1 liter bottles with 3 tab each, and the remaining is gonna bet still -- 'bottled' in the original apple juice jugs.

I'm actually gonna serve the still stuff tonight at a cookout (and some recently complete, and excellent, pale ale).

After having a taste of this stuff at a friend's house I want to start making some myself- I'm not kegging yet and don't want bottle a whole batch to 12oz bottles.

Would something like this work okay? It would take about 6 to do one 5 gal batch.

2 Liter Swing Top Growler with Handle - BB8b

Don't see why not... It's a glass 2L bottle that can hold carbonation. Go for it if you've got 'em, the site says they're out of stock.

I have made an attempt to make this recipe..However I have a few questions.
1. Can I use sure jell pectin it contains dextrose/citric acid and fruit pectin
2. For the acid nuetralizer could I use some sodium bicarbonate?
I live in the country and it's a long way almost 65 miles to the nearest brew shop. Thanks

I live in the country and it's a long way almost 65 miles to the nearest brew shop. Thanks

health food stores sell dextrose as well. if you have one near you, you may give them a shot.

DO NOT ADD PECTIN! It will cause your apfelwein to be extremely cloudy & never clear. I always add pectic enzyme to help break down the pectins that are naturally in juice/fruit. If you cannot get dextrose (corn sugar) you can use ordinary, everyday white cane sugar, the same stuff in your sugarbowl. Regards, GF.

I have some apfelwein that is about 10 months old. I drank 2 22ozs the other day and man I had a horrid hangover. I actually threwup the next mourning.

I would be interesed in fermenting this at a lower temp to reduce higher alcohols and see if that helps.

I'm looking to buy some supplies for this from Midwest Supplies online. They have 1 pound bags of corn sugar for $2.00 each or a 4 lb. bag for $4.95. I've thought about getting the 4 lb. bag so I can use it multiple times, but is there much of a risk of infecting it during measuring? I assume priming sugar is normally boiled in order to sanitize it, but I saw no mention of boiling the corn sugar in EdWort's recipe.

I'm interested in your guys' opinions. Thanks :)

I'm looking to buy some supplies for this from Midwest Supplies online. They have 1 pound bags of corn sugar for $2.00 each or a 4 lb. bag for $4.95. I've thought about getting the 4 lb. bag so I can use it multiple times, but is there much of a risk of infecting it during measuring? I assume priming sugar is normally boiled in order to sanitize it, but I saw no mention of boiling the corn sugar in EdWort's recipe.

I'm interested in your guys' opinions. Thanks :)

Sugar is like salt -- when it's pure, it will kill anything by dehydration. Don't worry about it, but keep it dry and sealed.

I kegged my first batch of apfelwein last week. It's only a little over 2 months old, but I was having some friends in town and wanted to have it available for them. My opinion, meh, it's ok. I'm not a huge fan of white wines in general and to me this tastes like a slightly appley, cheap chardonnay. I kinda like it but it's not really my bag baby. As soon as my friends leave I'm gonna put the keg back in storage for another couple of months and try it again then.

Anybody have any luck using the fresh hard-pressed juice from costco? The juice starts out cloudy. I got one that doesn't seem to be clearing up 6 weeks out and tastses pretty rank. Not sure if it spoiled or what. I guess i will sit on it for awhile longer.

So, I kegged my first 3 gallon batch of Apfelwein a few weeks ago. Followed the original recipe (ended up 8.51% ABV), and even though It's still a bit "green", it's getting better by the day (maybe that's just me acquiring the taste for dry Apfelwein). The next batch will be much better as I threw it together shortly after my first batch (now 7 weeks old), and it will be aging as long as it takes for the first one to go. I am currently fermenting 5 gallons to bottle for Christmas Presents as well. Gotta love this stuff!

:mug:

Latest posts

Back