Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the leg work! :mug:

I've got a batch made with Cuvee that was bottled last June. Other than 1 or 2 sample bottles, I have the entire batch left. I haven't had one in quite a while so one of these days I'll have to try another. I'm about to leave for the evening or I'd do it now. I'll try to report back on this.

I used Dominicks brand (safeway) apple juice, the ingredients read apples and ascorbic acid.. its been 30+ hours and absolutely no signs of fermentation. Is it possible this brand is no good and contains other preservatives? :(

I used Dominicks brand (safeway) apple juice, the ingredients read apples and ascorbic acid.. its been 30+ hours and absolutely no signs of fermentation. Is it possible this brand is no good and contains other preservatives? :(

Check the juice label for preservatives. Montrachet is a low foaming yeast, often the only indication that an active fermentation is going is a ring of light bubbles on the surface. You can always check with a hydrometer reading, the hydrometer doesn't lie.

What's a good ale yeast to use?

I know folks use frozen apple juice from concentrate cans, but I was thinking that if I was going to make this Abbey of Leffe Bruin All grain this weekend, that I could take like a 3rd or 4th sparge runnings and the frozen cans of concentrate and make some take on this Apfelwein.

I already have some Apfelwein fermenting that followed Edwort's recipe, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about doing something like this. If this is bad idea let me know. Thanks.

Mine took about 100 hours to show any activity, using a Koelsch yeast. Seems fine now that I've bottled it, though. Trying to let it age a bit before I open any beyond the first...

What's a good ale yeast to use?

I know folks use frozen apple juice from concentrate cans, but I was thinking that if I was going to make this Abbey of Leffe Bruin All grain this weekend, that I could take like a 3rd or 4th sparge runnings and the frozen cans of concentrate and make some take on this Apfelwein.

I already have some Apfelwein fermenting that followed Edwort's recipe, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about doing something like this. If this is bad idea let me know. Thanks.

I know that malt has been used in some ciders and is used in mike's hard lemonade an other similar "malt beverages". I'd say go for it, although you probably won't be getting all that much malt from the grains it can't hurt. Would probably just provide nutrients and such.

I've done it with hefeweizen yeast and it was fantastic!

I know that malt has been used in some ciders and is used in mike's hard lemonade an other similar "malt beverages". I'd say go for it, although you probably won't be getting all that much malt from the grains it can't hurt. Would probably just provide nutrients and such.

I've done it with hefeweizen yeast and it was fantastic!

See that's my dilemna, i think a heffe yeast would taste awesome, but I think maybe a spicy T-58 might be good too like the one I am supposed to use on my Abbey of Leffe Bruin. Decisions...

I bought dextrose to use for this recipe about a year or so ago and ended up leaving it in the back of a closet. Would it be to old to use?

Update: the safeway brand juice finally started fermenting but its going suuuuuper slow.. guess ill just have to be patient and see what happens. im definitely buying tree top brand next time.

OK - I kicked off another 10 gallons. I'm gonna do a side by side comparison.

5 gal - with Premier Cuvee (same original recipe substituting w/ cuvee)

5 gal - with Montrachet. (same as original recipe)

The Cuvee was cranking in about 4 hours :rockin:

Monty is still putzin' around.... [Fricken Slackers!]

Do you need to disolve the dextrose in anything before adding it or can you just pour it in dry?

Update: the safeway brand juice finally started fermenting but its going suuuuuper slow.. guess ill just have to be patient and see what happens. im definitely buying tree top brand next time.

Try adding some yeast nutrient/yeast energizer. Regards, GF.

I had bubbles in my airlock within about 5 hours of putting it all in the fermenter. Now, about 24 hours into the ferment, I'm getting about one bubble ever 3 or 4 seconds, so it's picking up nicely...

what is everyones' opinion on when to bottle? After fermenting one month? two months? I hear its best at 8 months which means 7 months bottle conditioning? I am at like five weeks and could really use the fermenter.

Thanks!

I'm planning on doing a second batch in the near future using EdWort's exact recipe. But, I've got some oak cubes on hand that I'd like to play with.

My current plan is to ferment for one month, and then rack the whole thing onto 1oz of oak cubes for another full month, and then bottle.

Does anyone think I'm going to ruin it? Or should it be pretty tasty?

At what a batch of this costs I say try something new. I just started a batch with a couple of pints of frozen strawberries, sugary ones. It smell great in the fermentor and is fermenting like crazy. I say go for it.

As for 8 months? I think I could never wait that long!

I'm looking at atleast 2 months in my primary, Started mine on Jan 8 with s-04 yeast and the fermentation is still VERY active, lots of sediment flowing.

If you can't wait, just like me, I would suggest atleast 4 weeks in bottles before serving.

so I made this pomegranate Apfelwein and let it sit for two days until the fermentation really took off. Then I added one whole pomegranate fruit and the action just took off and the fermentation just went crazy!! So now I'll let it sit for a month or so. I just want to know though if I should drain this into a secondary so the fruit wont spoil or will it be fine to sit like this for a month, due to he alcohol content?

Just popped a bottle of AW that was about 8 months old. Man is it dry now, a bit to dry and tart for me. The SWMBO had opened a Fresca with dinner so I decided to pour a smidge in to sweeten a bit. WOW! is was great. So now my question is can I add Fresca at the time of transfer to the keg? I was thinking of mixing 1 liter of Fresca to about 4 gallons of AW. Would this be ok? Fresca is sugar free so I think it should work. Please let me know your thoughts so I don't trash a well aged batch. Thanks.

If you let it go too long it will get super dry .990. I bottle between 1.002 and 1.000. This is anywhere from 6-12 weeks. It depends on my basement temperature. Summer its about 72 winter about 62, it goes slower now.

The act of bottling will slightly inhibit the cider from getting too dry. I think the refrigeration does more slow or otherwise stop fermentation.

I have some mighty fine cider that is 16 months in the bottle. Its not super dry either.

2nd update: The fermentation totally took off!! yay it was just slow starting in the beggining but now its roaring :D p.s. do I need to be concerned about covering the carboy with a bag or blanket to keep the light out?
cheers dp

2nd update: The fermentation totally took off!! yay it was just slow starting in the beggining but now its roaring :D p.s. do I need to be concerned about covering the carboy with a bag or blanket to keep the light out?
cheers dp

Both of mine are rip roaring too. I could have used a blow off on the Cuvee.

No, You don't need to cover it like beer. It won't sunk like beer since its not hopped. I cover mine to hold in heat so that it will be more stable and possibly ferment faster.

Man, this wait is killing me, like a chinese torture. At 3 weeks batch 1 appears to have cleared up and finished, but I know, I need to wait one more week to bottle. Picked up a case of 1 liter amber fliptops, they won't stop chanting Apfelwein...Apfelwein...Apfelwein.. Like the telltale heart. ARGHHHHH!!!

from searching this thread. These people used that yeast.

Remilard 11/21/08
bkvail 11/19/08
portlandbeergeek 10/02/08
ArcaneXor 3/24/08

and BlindlemonLars mentioned it back in 07

You might get a response from one with a pm. :shrug:
Those batches should have finished and been consumed.

I didn't take any notes on that batch other than what I posted in this thread - I do remember not being thrilled by the results. It was drinkable, but not very enjoyable. But then, my attempt at replicating the original recipe also wasn't so hot.

My new batch has been going for about three weeks now, and the krausen has subsided - very few bubbles, but my refractometer-estimated SG has dropped about 9 points during the past two days, and it now sits at 1.002 (depending on whose conversion formula you trust). It obviously is pretty harsh-tasting (green) at this point, but it has a lot more apple-character in both flavor and aroma than either of my original attempts. I don't expect the gravity to drop much more, so I'll give it another couple of weeks to clear before I cold-crash and bottle it.

I Need to know if after I added fruit to my apfelwein the 3 day of fermenting if I will need to transfer to a secondary or can I let the fruit sit for a month? Thanks for any help.

Primary: Wisemen Winter Whit; Pomegranate Apfelwein
Bottled: Knight-N-Gale Ale

Batch # 3 started back on the 19th. Batch #4 to begin within the week.

It has been repeated, but necessarily so and I will join the chorus, Before the first batch is done, start another batch. This stuff will disappear!

I've been leaving my apfelwein alone. I looked yesterday and there's a lot of dust on the bottles. I think this is a good thing. :D

I've been leaving my apfelwein alone. I looked yesterday and there's a lot of dust on the bottles. I think this is a good thing. :D

Yup - They get better with time. I think the ones I have on hand are 16 months old. I don't know if they get considerably better after 6 months, but they are awesome right now.

how clear is "clear"?

It's been sitting 4 weeks. It's a nice amber color, definitely mostly settled but I still can't see through it like water, there's still some stuff left in suspension.

Should I let it sit till it is see-through, or would I be good to go... this is my first batch, so my patience can only be stretched so far.

how clear is "clear"?

It's been sitting 4 weeks. It's a nice amber color, definitely mostly settled but I still can't see through it like water, there's still some stuff left in suspension.

Should I let it sit till it is see-through, or would I be good to go... this is my first batch, so my patience can only be stretched so far.

I am with you, looking for an answer to this, I stole some last night with a thief and it was quite effervescence (sp) not sure. Mine looked pretty clear in the carboy (tinted blue) but was a cloudy mess in the glass.

Sorry for the newb questions here, but will I see airlock activity during the "clearing" stages?

Back