Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.
I should have the furnace fixed tomorrow. It was just a relay. I think I will just wait it out.

Popped my first bottle of apfelwein tonight. Well, opened. Not really popped. Carbonation is nil so I'll hafta give that a little more time.

But... just chilled and in the glass... this stuff is FANTASTIC! Just a hair tart... underlying sweetness. No alcohol bite to speak of, but I used one lb of sugar instead of two. Nice light drink. They're gonna love this at christmas.

I'm just starting my first glass, so I have no reason to curse him yet so...

THANK YOU EDWORT!

Just put my first 5 gallons in the carboy. Looking forward to it! Btw, I bought 5 gallons of Kroger brand natural apple juice in two quart bottles at Kroger. They were 10 for 10 so if you have a local Kroger see if they're offering the same deal.

5 Gallons of apple juice = $10.00
2 Pounds of Corn Sugar ( Dextrose ) = $2.15
1 5 gram packet of Red Star Montrachet Yeast = $0.55
Total = $12.70

Not bad for 5 gallons of good drink.

. . . . and it is beautiful. I found it on eBay. I was expecting it to be .25 or .50 liter but it turned out to be a full liter in perfect condition. Paid $4.80 plus shipping. It contains the inscription "Blauer Bock". I believe this may be a German hotel. it also has a picture of a ram. Pefect since I am an Aries.

bembel1.JPG

bembel2.JPG

Now I plan on getting a few geripptes. Perhaps from here:
Translated version of http://www.rmashop.de/framesapfelwein.htm

. . . . . then I will be enjoying my Apfelwein in style.

So - for anyone that hasn't tried it...spiced hot Apfelwein is quite good. If you want to get drunk then do the grog like Ed posted with added rum, otherwise just some mulling spices, a stove top and a couple cups of Apfelwein is a great nightcap.

ok, so I have not been expecting an "earth shattering Kaboom", however since posting I have not seen _any_ bubbles out of the airlock. Not one, ever.
It has been kept at pretty constant 68F, and I check 3-4 times a day. About 80 hours after initially starting I was getting worried, so I poured a 2nd packet of Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast into warm water, waited about 10 min, gently swirled the glass, waited 5 min. and added to fermentation bucket.

I did a bottom draw tonight using the spigot (throwing away the first 2 ounces, then drawing 2 more) and I see a cloudy cidery smelling liquid. It tastes somewhat sweet with a small amount of gas. I would like to ask you:
1) did I screw something up?
2) If something isn't right, what if anything can I do to fix it?

I appreciate any feedback immensely.
Capenuke

Just put my first 5 gallons in the carboy. Looking forward to it! Btw, I bought 5 gallons of Kroger brand natural apple juice in two quart bottles at Kroger. They were 10 for 10 so if you have a local Kroger see if they're offering the same deal.

Total = $12.70

Okay where did you get the apple juice at this cost? Mine was $24.95 for the apple juice alone! I was not happy about this. I thought this was supposed to be a cheap drink....

has anyone tried adding apple extract to give it more apple flavor? just wondering something SWMBO suggested i think about.

STAD, you even quoted in your message exactly where BrewPubRon got his apple juice...at his local Kroger...10 for $10. I would say, check at a Kroger if you have one. Good luck!

I used Premier Cuvee yeast for my apfelwein - if I added sugar and/or apple concentrate when the yeast started to slow down, would it stop fermenting when it got to 18% and leave some sweetness? I think I'm wanting to do it 'still' this time - but try sparkling next time. I'm just not into tart/dry wine.....

I used Premier Cuvee yeast for my apfelwein - if I added sugar and/or apple concentrate when the yeast started to slow down, would it stop fermenting when it got to 18% and leave some sweetness? I think I'm wanting to do it 'still' this time - but try sparkling next time. I'm just not into tart/dry wine.....

18% is going to be rocket fuel.

Are you quoting 18% because that's the alcohol tolerance for that yeast?

If you want it sweet your best bet is to stop the yeast through pasteurization or additives and then backsweeten. I wouldn't rely on the alcohol tolerance much, especially risking exploding bottles.

Just got my yeast in the mail..... In aprox. 2 months Ill probably be calling edwort a mofo one morning. By the way, I was cruisin wall mart, and in my town, they have these 7 gallon "water storage tanks" that look like perfect primarys for all of 10 bucks. The vent hole is a perfect fit for a half inch grommet. guess Ill get a few extra batches going.

Did you do test your sample with your hydrometer?

I didn't buy one when I bought my supplies, nor was it suggested by the store person who was advising me on what to get. Thinking back I don't remember seeing them, even when I was looking at the thermometers.
So.. no Hydrometer to test with.
My wife suggested moving it to a warmer location, so now it is in a 72F area. She loves cider and is hopeful this will turn out well.

An interesting side note, she is taking masters level molecular biology courses (She is a few months from a MS in Oral Biology <Yeah>) and yet she really doesn't have any constructive thoughts about the batch.

Total = $12.70

At my Costco 2 Gallons = $8.90 of Tree Top. I've been wondering if those 7 gallon water jugs would be just as good or better as carboys. (Considering their weight and and ample usage/supply.)

At my Costco 2 Gallons = $8.90 of Tree Top. I've been wondering if those 7 gallon water jugs would be just as good or better as carboys. (Considering their weight and and ample usage/supply.)

Only if the recycling number (in the triangle) is a 1 or 2. Otherwise the alcohol will leech chemicals from the plastic.

So, yesterday my apfelwein was well on its way to clearing....the top half of the carboy was clear enough that I could see my hand through the back side...I went to the gf's for the night, came home this morning and checked on it. It is now once again fully cloudy. Has anyone had this happen before? What could the explanation be? It's been kept between 68-70 the entire time. I know the clearing is from the yeast dropping out...but why suddenly rise back up? PS, I started this apfelwein on October 24th

18% is going to be rocket fuel.

Are you quoting 18% because that's the alcohol tolerance for that yeast?

If you want it sweet your best bet is to stop the yeast through pasteurization or additives and then backsweeten. I wouldn't rely on the alcohol tolerance much, especially risking exploding bottles.

hmm, rocket fuel I don't want! Yes, I was just thinking if it made it to the alcohol tolerance of the yeast, I wouldn't have to add any yeast 'killers' to get it sweet. I despise artificial sweeteners, and don't want to restart the yeast if I backsweeten so I have to worry about bottle bombs. If I DID take it to the the 18% until the yeast was dead, then cut it with 50% apple juice, would the 'rocket fuel' still be just diluted rocket fuel? I just want something sippable and not too tart.....

bkvail, just use non-fermentable sugar! A lot of guys back sweeten with lactose....should work perfect without the need for 18% booze

nm on my question. BigKahuna just shed a little light on the subject in chat. It seems the yeasties are sensitive to weather patterns...got a snowstorm coming in and the yeast are making a bid for freedom

My apfelwein has been bubbling away since just hours after I put an airlock on it - and was up to a bubble every 3 seconds for a few days - now at day 5, it's slowed to a bubble a minute - very much slowed down. It looks like the top 1/2'' is starting to clear possibly too - does this mean it's already almost done fermenting? I don't have a hydrometer (the wine store was out when I got my supplies), so I'm just going by the recipe except I used premier cuvee yeast and regular sugar instead of dextrose. I only made a gallon though.

I'm not sure bubbling is an accurate indicator of fermentation. At day 5 you still have a long way to go. It should still take about the same amount of time as a 5 gallon batch, unless you put less sugar in per gallon. I would wait another 26 days or so... plenty of time to put your pocket change in the piggy bank and save up for a hydrometer!

what about gas cans (unused of course), ill bet that plastic must be pretty unleechable..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachments/f11/8372d1225926856-looking-short-wide-fermenter-aqua.jpg <============= $10 at wally world

I wouldn't really trust a gas can. While they're designed to stand up to harsh chemicals, they are not generally food safe.

They are produced on the cheap, so they probably have a few not-so-tasty chemicals that might leech a bit. In gas who cares... but wine, just spend the $ on a food grade bucket. We're talking like $6.

I've found what looks like a gas can, but it's made for water like the one in the link. Was a "1" when I checked the bottom. I've been thinking about getting one and trying it out. Has a large opening for filling, and a smaller one for the air that just might fit an airlock perfectly.

I've found what looks like a gas can, but it's made for water like the one in the link. Was a "1" when I checked the bottom. I've been thinking about getting one and trying it out. Has a large opening for filling, and a smaller one for the air that just might fit an airlock perfectly.

yeah that one at wally world, "the aquatainer" I believe is food grade. Plus they are cheap so you could batch age in them and just go buy more, I thing it would be much easier to stay away from drinking it if it was in my attic in a water can than in my closet in a bunch of bottles just begging me to drink it.....

EDIT: yes they are food grade, yes with about 30 seconds of modding the little vent hole will fit an airlock, and yes, I have 6 gallons goin' now, for 30 bucks with the fermenter and airlock included.... not a bad deal...

that is an interesting container. I might need to go buy a couple of them for my pellet cooker too. I have been buying pellets in similar containers, but if I could buy cheaper bags and get the containers for $5-6 then I would.

Well, I think I screwed up the easiest alcoholic drink there is. I was in a rush (first mistake) to put this together before work. I followed the directions to a T until the yeast. I had to use the Lalvin K1-V1116 Montpellier yeast because I could not get the Montrachet yeast.

I had brewed the previous night (a Cascade/orange APA) and the yeast called for a dry pitch. So I had that on the brain and just tossed the Lalvin V1116 in dry, sealed it up and left for work. Also, the yeast has been in the fridge until I pulled it out 1 hour before pitching. This may have not been enough time to get it up to room temp again before pitching. That was Tuesday morning, 18th.

Three has been no activity on the airlock and all the foam has disappeared. I am about 50 some hours and nothing. Oh but the APA is on its way down from fermenting. If I don't see anything by Saturday morning, I am headed to the LHBS for some more and doing it right.

I'd let it sit a bit longer, no reason to panic yet. Wine yeasts often take a bit longer to get going because of the harsher environment.

I find that yeast nutrient really speeds up my apfelwein ferments, helps with the stench too.

I'd let it sit a bit longer, no reason to panic yet. Wine yeasts often take a bit longer to get going because of the harsher environment.

I find that yeast nutrient really speeds up my apfelwein ferments, helps with the stench too.
I've added Fermax nutrient and still get the rino farts. Maybe I'm not adding enough. How much and what kind are you using?

I used Fermaid K, yeast energizer and DAP (slightly under the recommended amounts since fermaid and energizer both have dap as well as other things)

I haven't tasted my wine yet, but my first batch I didn't use any nutrients or energizer and it stank up the entire downstairs. Absolutely no rhino farts in the next two batches (each done a week apart from the first batch).

I used energizer and nutrient in mine. Didn't really measure exactly since I felt that would be counter to the spirit of the recipe. :D

I just dipped the tip of a table knife into each and added it. Probably around a half teaspoon. No farts at all, though my wife did complain about the "rotting apple smell".

I had it in a bucket for about 3 weeks, then transferred to a secondary to free up my bucket. It sat there another 3 weeks or so before bottling and it was beautiful. I couldn't really tell when it cleared because my secondary was opaque, so that's why I went a bit longer than other folks might have before bottling.

I tried my first bottle last weekend and it was fantastic.

I wonder if the rhino farts isn't something to do with the type of juice used. I have used the same juice for every batch, never used yeast nutrient or anything, and have never even had the slightest off smell from a batch.

How long does it typically take for this bad smell? My batch is 6 days old and so far I have no hint of any bad smell. Wonder if it might be due to my lower ferm temp ...my house is never warmer than 65 degrees and goes down to 55 at night. The stuff is happily fermenting though....there's millions of active little bubbles streaming up the carboy sides.

I wouldn't be able to detect the smell without sniffing the airlock. But my wife said she was able to smell it as soon as she entered the basement. The smell doesn't last long though. I use clear motts w/ asorbic acid. I couldn't get Tree Top but everything else is the same.

Back