maltodextrin sub for carapils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akardam

Reaction score
i got a recipe in mind that requires 0.5lb of carapils.. all i got is a kilo of maltodextrin (the white sugar-like powder).. can i sub for the carapils grain ? if so, when in the process should incorporate it, e.g. after boiling, and how much?
cheers

Maltodextrin isn't really a sub for carapils. Carapils is a grain that will help head retention while, maltodextrin is a sugar that is unfermentable and will add body to the beer (ala a stout).

EDIT: My slightly inebreiated mind read lactose instead of maltodextrin....ignore what I wrote last night.......

Kinda MHO: They are somewhat interchangeable in that they both add dextrins. Indeed, Carapils is also known as dextrin malt. Dextrins, regardless of the form in which they enter the beer, will contribute to both body and foam. Obviously, a refined powder won't add any of the complex compounds that naturally come along with a (whole, malted, stewed, kilned) grain.

If you're doing a mash, you can just replace the Carapils with more base malt and mash a couple degrees warmer.

Works fine to add maltodextrin instead of carapillis malt. As a matter of fact it's almost necessary if your making a sour, these days. 8.oz in five gallons you can taste, so it's got to be less than that. if you add a pound to a 20 pound recipe, i would add one oz. I add it the end of the boil, along with the last hop addition.

great!!! thanks for clarifications. i take it maltodextrin is a bit of a cheat then.. on the other hand, who cares.. carapils is on the way in the mail, till then the powder will do! cheers!

Back