Malted white wheat instead of flaked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoundlingOfDollar

Reaction score
Have an AG recipe I am making, and instead of flaked wheat, I accidentally bought white wheat. This is 2 1/2 pounds of a 9 pound grain bill. How will using the regular wheat instead of the flake affect me? All my grains are milled and bagged together, should I go pick up some flake to add to the other grains?

Normally, there wouldn't be too much of a difference. But 28% of a grain bill being flaked wheat is a lot. Are you brewing a wit? First off, the taste/mouthfeel will be a little different. Flaked wheat has more proteins and usually gives more haze, bigger mouthfeel, and wheatier flavor. That said, with more than a quarter of your grain bill being Flaked wheat, you should have probably planned on doing a cereal mash and/or be prepared for a slow/stuck sparge. Malted wheat won't be as big a problem, and since it's malted, it can convert itself. Flaked wheat would be relying on the enzymes of the other grains.

All said, I'd go ahead and brew. It will be a little different, but should still taste delicious.

IIRC when grain is malted it's properties change so you can't totally just interchange an unmalted for malted. Kind of like trying to substitute flaked barley with malted barely.

Corn... Darn. The grains were an impulse purchase when I was at AHS buying equipment... I guess it's an original recipe... My first.

Back