Making Up Extract Deficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBuuck

Reaction score
Unlike my usual LHBS in Portland, OR where I can but LME in bulk, the Northern Brewer I buy from now that I've moved to Wisconsin only carries LME in 6 pound increments. Unfortunately, most recipes call for 7-10 pounds of extract. What is the best way to make up these final pounds of necessary sugars for fermentation? I don't have the equipment for AG, but have heard the possibility of a partial mash to make up the excess...

College brewer here, so preferably the cheapest alternative!!

Sub in DME? You can use a calculator like this one:
http://www.jaysbrewing.com/2011/11/17/lazy-chart-for-converting-dme-lme-grain/

Also, the last time I was in NB, they had 3lb jugs, too. Did you ask? Their website shows 3lb containers, too.

If you want to save money, have you considered BIAB? If you're doing extract, all you probably need (if your pot is large enough) is a bag and some grains, which are cheaper than LME/DME. Just a thought.
:mug:

Yes, they do carry the 3.3 lb containers of LME, but at a much steeper price! Its not that I'm in brewing to "save money", but I'm still constrained to the point where I try to go the cheaper route wherever possible. Would it be possible to do a partial mash with 2-Row to make up the extra sugar?

Yes, they do carry the 3.3 lb containers of LME, but at a much steeper price! Its not that I'm in brewing to "save money", but I'm still constrained to the point where I try to go the cheaper route wherever possible. Would it be possible to do a partial mash with 2-Row to make up the extra sugar?

Sure it would. Be careful with this because if you learn that you can do a partial mash successfully, you're only a short step away from all grain BIAB. Once started there I doubt you'll ever go back to ordering malt extract.

Don't know a whole lot about the BIAB system, but it requires a huge pot right? I'm working with a 5 gallon setup right now. Based on your information, does this brewing spectrum look correct?

Extract > Partial > BIAB > AG

I can do a 5 gallon batch in a 7 1/2 gallon turkey fryer but I'm pushing the limits with that. What I really like is to do a 2 1/2 gallon batch in a 5 gallon pot. I can do that right on the kitchen stove and with a bit of planning and streamlining I can have everything clean and put away in less than 4 hours.

To do the 5 gallon batch in true BIAB, no sparge, in a 7 1/2 gallon pot means that I have the mash right to the rim when the grains are added. Instead, I prefer to use a little less water to start with and when the bag of grains is out, I can pour a little water over the bag of grains to make up the difference so I have the right amount when I start to boil. If you can bring the correct amount of water to the calculated strike temperature, you can do all grain BIAB. If you get your grains milled really fine you'll find that the efficiency is great and you'll have full conversion in less than the hour long mash that is typically suggested.

Can you ferment a 2.5 gallon batch in a six gallon bucket or will the extra head space cause oxidation?

I have been doing just that. As soon as your yeast start making CO2, your beer is covered and oxygen is excluded. With that extra headspace you never have to worry about krausen plugging the airlock either.

Back