Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished making my first batch. I think. I got in a hurry so the rice was still pretty warm when I spooned it in. My jar also ended up pretty full. How large is your jar?

My jar is a gallon glass jar with screw on metal lid. Got it from Walmart for a couple bucks. I drilled a hole in the lid to install my fermentation lock.

ForumRunner_20131228_191634.jpg

It smells just fine, kind of sweet and strong alcohol. As soon as it went into the jar I put it in the closet. Very little light exposure. I was thinking of trying to skim off the mold if possible.

I bought a larger jar and some sushi rice. For the first batch I used Jasmine and a single yeast ball for 3 cups dry rice. I'm gonna throw the two balls I've got left into this second batch.

No air lock here...just followed the original post with a cookie jar, cheesecloth and lid. Never a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

I think this stuff has the alcohol content of a strong beer . I drank 6 ounces ( 5 shots ) and that did nothing . ( just a test based on 3 shots gin 40% ABV ) .
I think if you drank a couple beer bottles full you would get a good buzz.
20% is way over done . No way . The way the Asians get 20% is by adding in 24 % by volume of distilled wine spirits , ( what ever % alcohol that spirit may be ?? ) . So about a quart of spirits to a gallon of this wine to make 20% ABV or 40 proof .

By the way if you plan on using black sweet rice it only makes a small amount of wine . I think since it is in the hard hull unlike white rice , it might be a good idea to run it through a grain mill first .
I am going to try and dump off the wine after a couple months and then add in some more yeast to the rice and a little water and see if it will dissolve more of the sugars . Next batch I will run it through the mill

The koji in this pic looks dandelion fuzzy.
koji-spore-photo.jpg

b2011040302t.jpg

Mine looks more like this, although I don't have the little black spots (not my pic, apparently this is a pic of mold on lemon peel). Not scary looking at all, therefore it cannot possibly be bad :)

First batch with mold! YAY!!!
only 3 days in:

20131112_112041_zpsf3fd7694.jpg

6 cups rice, 8 cups water.
My sushi batch is exhibiting a faint white fuzziness with tiny black dots similar to the pictures above. I'll assume this is nothing to worry about. No action needed?

edit: I'm slowly clicking my way through this monolith of a thread. I just reached page 29 and came across a post which eased my mind and may help quell the concerns of others:

Chinese yeast balls (qū) can be various mixtures of molds and yeast but the most common is Aspergillus oryzae and yeast. Less common are Rhizopus oryzae and Monascus purpureus.

Here are some some links to help you id your mold.

Aspergillus oryzae (yellow japanese type)

Life cycle

DSC02691.jpg

and spored

about_ingredients_koji.jpg

Rhizopus oryzae

Growth

http://www.tempeh.info/science/rhizopus.php

magnified

rhizopus-oryzae-1.jpg

sporing stage

Rhizopus_oryzae_colony.jpg

magnified sporing

wb03002800126fbc.jpg

Monascus purpureus

Life cycle on rice

grown on rice

CIMG9019.JPG

spore stage on rice

CIMG9015.JPG
The stuff growing on my sushi rice appears to be Rhizopus oryzae.

edit 2: Wikipedia lists R. oryzae as an "opportunistic pathogen"; meaning that it poses no threat to a person with a healthy immune system. In regards to Aspergillus oryzae or "koji, qu, etc.", I see no reference made to it being an opportunistic pathogen. I'm just a little worried by this.

I think this stuff has the alcohol content of a strong beer . I drank 6 ounces ( 5 shots ) and that did nothing . ( just a test based on 3 shots gin 40% ABV ) .
I think if you drank a couple beer bottles full you would get a good buzz.
20% is way over done . No way . The way the Asians get 20% is by adding in 24 % by volume of distilled wine spirits , ( what ever % alcohol that spirit may be ?? ) . So about a quart of spirits to a gallon of this wine to make 20% ABV or 40 proof .

Apparently you've not made a good batch. Your guesses and ideas are not how the Asians I know make it or get the alcohol up there. Also, there are many yeast strains now that withstand and ferment up to 20% alcohol. This, of course, is going to be under the yeasts optimal conditions, but most of the batches I've made that have turned out well are pushing that number, and drinking just ONE beer bottle full tears me up pretty good, WAY past a buzz, and I'm a decent sized guy that has a better tolerance to alcohol than most.

I can not stomach the taste of the white rice wine so no way to test that . I did drink 10 ounces of the black rice wine last night and it did give me a mild buzz . I still think at least 24 ounces to start getting a good buzz . I think it is somewhere around the 12 to 14% range. To convince me other wise I would have to see a proof of ABV . this would have to a lab test I suppose since no way of using a hydrometer . Perhaps some industrious brewer will make a precise amount , say 2.0 quarts of rice and then distill off the alcohol from the resulting amount of wine and see how much actual alcohol is in it .
Drinking the same amount of mad Dog ( ever try this fine stuff ? ) would result in a drunk that is far greater than rice wine could ever offer . 18% ABV in Mad Dog used to be 20%. So I can not really see how 20% in rice could be true . I would get a buzz from 10 oz Mad Dog . Keeping in mind that the last time i indulged in MD it was in a 20 oz bottle at 20 % , hence the MD 20/20 label that no longer means anything . When you drink a bottle of this you know you have drank something . I think rice wine can not do this judging by the 10 oz I drank .

For comparison i drink two of my beers which are in the usual ABV of around 5 to 7 and 3 shots of gin and get a pretty good buzz going .

Not that this is not worth making . it is cheap and easy and interesting . My advice is to try the black rice as it tastes so much better . I think maybe tastes like the red yeast wine as from the pics posted it looks exactly the same .

@ Marcus... I don't have time to do this right now, but if really interested:

"This method measures the alcohol content by volume of any wine,spirit,or beer,using a hydrometer, giving readings as accurate as an ebulliometer used by commercial wineries. The method is based on the research of Dr. William Honneyman,Ph.D."

1.Measure the SG of the wine you wish to test.We will call this figure SG-1.

2.Measure exactly one pint of the wine (500ml).We will call this the sample.

3.In a enamelled or glass pan,boil the sample down to about half it's original volume.This drives off some of the water,but all of the alcohol,because alcohol boils at a lower temperature than water.The sample now consists of water,residual sugar,colouring matter,acids and proteins-that is,all the non-alcoholic constituents of the wine.

4.With distilled water or rain water,make the boiled-down sample up to exactly a pint again.Tap water is not recommended because,in some areas,it has a considerable dissolved mineral content which could affect your results.

5.Cool the sample down to 60o-F, or what ever temperature your hydrometer is calibrated for.

6.Read the SG of the sample,we will call this reading SG-2.You will find it higher than SG-1 because you have removed the alcohol and replaced it with water.

7.Subtract SG-1 from SG-2. The difference is called the Spirit Indication.

8.Read the alcohol strength from the following table.

Spirit Indication---- Alcohol Strength,% by volume
1.5 ----------------------- 1,0
2-------------------------- <email> -------------------------- 3.4
6-------------------------- 4.1
7-------------------------- 4.9
8-------------------------- 5.6
9-------------------------- 6.4
10------------------------- 7.2
11------------------------- 8.0
12------------------------- 8.8
13------------------------- 9.7
14------------------------- 10.5
15------------------------- 11.4
16------------------------- 12.3
17------------------------- 13.2
18------------------------- 14.1
19------------------------- 15.1
20------------------------- 16.0
21------------------------- 17.0
22------------------------- 18.0
23------------------------- 19.0
24------------------------- 20.0
25------------------------- 21.0
26------------------------- 22.0

As an example:
SG-1 (SG of oraginal wine) = 0.995
SG-2 (SG of sample at stage 6) =1.011
Spirit Indication= 1.011 - 0.995 = 16
Alcohol strength= 12.3 % by volume.

trbig;
Cool . I will give this a try since I have a couple bottles of the white rice and I do not like it and would only be tossing it any way .
My latest batches of it are still in the making and I plan on leaving them sealed up for 3 months at least . Then see what they taste like . Perhaps different . I hope . 2 months to go

So I boiled 1 pint to 1/2 pint . Added distilled water to 1 pint . Cooled to 60 degrees .
SG 1.063
FG 1.071
Result 0.008
5.6% ABV

this was made with plenty of yeast and some nutrient and a few extra TBS of sugar . It made plenty of wine so it is not a under fermentation thing and the wine was not sweet so the sugar was converted .

http://www.jiangnan.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u3-6.htm take a look at 3.6.4 and 2.6.7 and you will see that the wine listed as 20% does in fact get spirits poured in to stop the fermentation process. How ever I was mistaken about the amount used . So no telling what it really is .

The wine is much better tasting after being boiled off and adding in water . It makes it sweeter and less of that strange taste it has which could be a good reason for adding in some sugar during conditioning to sweeten it up some .

@ Marcus... I don't have time to do this right now, but if really interested:

"This method measures the alcohol content by volume of any wine,spirit,or beer,using a hydrometer, giving readings as accurate as an ebulliometer used by commercial wineries. The method is based on the research of Dr. William Honneyman,Ph.D."

1.Measure the SG of the wine you wish to test.We will call this figure SG-1.

2.Measure exactly one pint of the wine (500ml).We will call this the sample.

3.In a enamelled or glass pan,boil the sample down to about half it's original volume.This drives off some of the water,but all of the alcohol,because alcohol boils at a lower temperature than water.The sample now consists of water,residual sugar,colouring matter,acids and proteins-that is,all the non-alcoholic constituents of the wine.

4.With distilled water or rain water,make the boiled-down sample up to exactly a pint again.Tap water is not recommended because,in some areas,it has a considerable dissolved mineral content which could affect your results.

5.Cool the sample down to 60o-F, or what ever temperature your hydrometer is calibrated for.

6.Read the SG of the sample,we will call this reading SG-2.You will find it higher than SG-1 because you have removed the alcohol and replaced it with water.

7.Subtract SG-1 from SG-2. The difference is called the Spirit Indication.

8.Read the alcohol strength from the following table.

Spirit Indication---- Alcohol Strength,% by volume
1.5 ----------------------- 1,0
2-------------------------- <email> -------------------------- 3.4
6-------------------------- 4.1
7-------------------------- 4.9
8-------------------------- 5.6
9-------------------------- 6.4
10------------------------- 7.2
11------------------------- 8.0
12------------------------- 8.8
13------------------------- 9.7
14------------------------- 10.5
15------------------------- 11.4
16------------------------- 12.3
17------------------------- 13.2
18------------------------- 14.1
19------------------------- 15.1
20------------------------- 16.0
21------------------------- 17.0
22------------------------- 18.0
23------------------------- 19.0
24------------------------- 20.0
25------------------------- 21.0
26------------------------- 22.0

As an example:
SG-1 (SG of oraginal wine) = 0.995
SG-2 (SG of sample at stage 6) =1.011
Spirit Indication= 1.011 - 0.995 = 16
Alcohol strength= 12.3 % by volume.

This is very cool. I'd definitely like to try it, but I'm not so big on the idea of wasting half a liter of this stuff...

So I boiled 1 pint to 1/2 pint . Added distilled water to 1 pint . Cooled to 60 degrees .
SG 1.063
FG 1.071
Result 0.008
5.6% ABV

this was made with plenty of yeast and some nutrient and a few extra TBS of sugar . It made plenty of wine so it is not a under fermentation thing and the wine was not sweet so the sugar was converted .

http://www.jiangnan.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u3-6.htm take a look at 3.6.4 and 2.6.7 and you will see that the wine listed as 20% does in fact get spirits poured in to stop the fermentation process. How ever I was mistaken about the amount used . So no telling what it really is .

The wine is much better tasting after being boiled off and adding in water . It makes it sweeter and less of that strange taste it has which could be a good reason for adding in some sugar during conditioning to sweeten it up some .

Interesting, I wonder how much this varies among the various rice wine brewers here. Mine doesn't taste too alcoholic, but the feel on any abrasions on my fingers when I squeeze the dregs out (sounds gross, but it only happened once and I was the only one who drank it...) makes me think that I'm higher than 5.6%, since there's a definite sting when it gets in a cut. I'm also surprised that you need more sweetness; my three attempts have all come out plenty sweet.

One more question for you personally: for all your posting here and brewing of rice wine, you don't seem to like the stuff much. Why do you keep making it if you don't like it? Sorry if that reads like criticism or "get out and stop spoiling the party" kind of talk, it's not meant to be, I'm just curious what keeps you coming back.

It made plenty of wine so it is not a under fermentation thing and the wine was not sweet so the sugar was converted .

One thing has become clear 322 pages into the thread. Different rices and different yeast balls seem to make considerable differences in the wine. I have made two batches with Kohuko sushi rice and both have been very sweet (surprising to me considering how bland and non-sweet the rice is). I need to buy more yeast balls but I'm reluctant to buy anything but the particular brand that I bought originally. Unfortunately, that was in a grocery store Orlando, 2 hours away.

One thing has become clear 322 pages into the thread. Different rices and different yeast balls seem to make considerable differences in the wine. I have made two batches with Kohuko sushi rice and both have been very sweet (surprising to me considering how bland and non-sweet the rice is). I need to buy more yeast balls but I'm reluctant to buy anything but the particular brand that I bought originally. Unfortunately, that was in a grocery store Orlando, 2 hours away.

Which store in Orlando? I've been looking for a store in Orlando which sells the yeast balls. I live in Orlando. I could mail some to you..

Sent from my Xoom using Home Brew mobile app

It was the Super Oriental Market on E. Colonial Drive. They actually had 2 or 3 different brands of yeast balls. Several came in individual packages of 2 balls (sold in bins on a counter top) , and the Hang Hing Marine Products brand (bags of multiple 2 packs) which is the one I bought (opposite corner from the counter top; kind of in the back of the store from the entrance as I recall). I would definitely take a few packages if you're willing to mail them! I really like the way the wine turns out with these yeast balls. I'll try some other brands but I can see always having this version on hand.

This is very cool. I'd definitely like to try it, but I'm not so big on the idea of wasting half a liter of this stuff...

Interesting, I wonder how much this varies among the various rice wine brewers here. Mine doesn't taste too alcoholic, but the feel on any abrasions on my fingers when I squeeze the dregs out (sounds gross, but it only happened once and I was the only one who drank it...) makes me think that I'm higher than 5.6%, since there's a definite sting when it gets in a cut. I'm also surprised that you need more sweetness; my three attempts have all come out plenty sweet.

One more question for you personally: for all your posting here and brewing of rice wine, you don't seem to like the stuff much. Why do you keep making it if you don't like it? Sorry if that reads like criticism or "get out and stop spoiling the party" kind of talk, it's not meant to be, I'm just curious what keeps you coming back.

I just made two batches of it . I made 5 1/2 gallon jars and a two gallon jar . then the second batch I made some black rice along with it . the second batch I made so I could let it ferment for 3 or 4 months to see how that went .
No I do not like the taste of the white rice wine . the black which is actually red is not too bad .
The wine has that sting to it after you swallow it . It also has that sting even though the alcohol was boiled out of it . So i do not know what that is and is probably what is stinging in your cut .
Just make certain it got all the alcohol taken out of it at boil and that maybe it was just a low alcohol batch i am going to do it again with a different bottle of wine .
you do not need to use a half a liter . I just did that because it was easier to judge the amount I boiled off in the pan I was using . I will most likely use just enough to float my hydrometer which i think is half a cup.

It was the Super Oriental Market on E. Colonial Drive. They actually had 2 or 3 different brands of yeast balls. Several came in individual packages of 2 balls (sold in bins on a counter top) , and the Hang Hing Marine Products brand (bags of multiple 2 packs) which is the one I bought (opposite corner from the counter top; kind of in the back of the store from the entrance as I recall). I would definitely take a few packages if you're willing to mail them! I really like the way the wine turns out with these yeast balls. I'll try some other brands but I can see always having this version on hand.

Ah, cool. We have friends who live about a half mile away from there. I live in Lake Mary, about 15 minutes north of downtown and visit down there regularly. I'll pick some up next time I'm down there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Nice! Thank you... Please keep us posted on how it turns out and pictures if possible.

Hello, Jak... I also ordered from you. I got some RYR and a nice bag that I just used on Wednesday to steep the specialty grains from my kit into. :) The Rice Wine yeast is doing great! I'm experimenting with different varieties. The latest batch I did uses Vietnamese yeast which I got at an international grocery in Atlanta awhile back. :)

If I say yes will you send me some? I'm kidding. No I didn't. I ordered them before I got far enough into the thread to see you were selling them on eBay. Mine have now been in transit for 11 business days.

Haha...I wish you did order from me. All kidding aside, doesn't matter how, just get them. This rice wine is good stuff. Easy, cheap and the flavor options are endless.

Hello, Jak... I also ordered from you. I got some RYR and a nice bag that I just used on Wednesday to steep the specialty grains from my kit into. :) The Rice Wine yeast is doing great! I'm experimenting with different varieties. The latest batch I did uses Vietnamese yeast which I got at an international grocery in Atlanta awhile back. :)

Nice! It's been a while and I'm happy to see you're still brewing and enjoying this delicious stuff.

Here's a "Grolsch" style bottle which rice wine in it. It has separated quite a bit. You can see the clear wine on top and the rice solids on the bottom.

1388769873285.jpg

1388769889373.jpg

Just checked tracking, my balls are in Des Moines. about 80 miles away YEEHAA

In any other thread, that would be such a weird post!

Way to go. What rice and recipe are you planning on using? How about equipment?

I'm a bit of a prepper. I already have 3 25 pound bags of jasmine rice that were in storage. I bought 15 packs of balls (60 ounces) and figured I would stockpile some.
I am going to do roughly 15 cups of rice. I am going to cook some in a couple of different runs on the stove and my rice cooker. Since it's -10 F outside I thought I would put the cooked rice out there to rapidly chill it. I am hoping to make some in my 6 gallon bucket for drinking. I am also going to put some in a gallon ice cream bucket for eating.

Jasmine rice, yeast from http://importfood.com/nrhf0401.html

Many years ago there was a Thai restaurant that I used to frequent in a local town. They had the rice pudding stuff. I never asked them what it was but it tasted like tapioca pudding with rum mixed in. I used to love it. Pretty excited about this.

The wife and I have been joking about my balls for a couple weeks now. She's never been so happy for my balls to be 80 miles away. :D

My balls never showed up. according to tracking they have been sitting in Kansas for 3 business days. Dang FedEx anyhow.

Only very bad things get sent to Kansas . Them yeast balls must have really pissed of God & Satan & maybe Mother Nature . Better forget about em .
For proof I offer you me . 43 in years of suffering in Kansas and infinity to go . I keep filling out the forms to get sent to a nicer place like Hell but they keep denying me .

I'm a bit of a prepper. I already have 3 25 pound bags of jasmine rice that were in storage. I bought 15 packs of balls (60 ounces) and figured I would stockpile some.
I am going to do roughly 15 cups of rice. I am going to cook some in a couple of different runs on the stove and my rice cooker. Since it's -10 F outside I thought I would put the cooked rice out there to rapidly chill it. I am hoping to make some in my 6 gallon bucket for drinking. I am also going to put some in a gallon ice cream bucket for eating.

Jasmine rice, yeast from http://importfood.com/nrhf0401.html

Many years ago there was a Thai restaurant that I used to frequent in a local town. They had the rice pudding stuff. I never asked them what it was but it tasted like tapioca pudding with rum mixed in. I used to love it. Pretty excited about this.

The wife and I have been joking about my balls for a couple weeks now. She's never been so happy for my balls to be 80 miles away. :D
If you simply wash that rice in cold water it will break up nicely and cool off . Of course you may want to use a bit of warm water in with it if it is that cold out

Back