Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this batch finished up and put to bed. Man, that sweet rice is some starchy stuff. I put the first gallon of water in the bucket to get it cooled down a bit and stir into a soup, but the rice quickly absorbed that, so I added the other half gallon along with the ground up RYR and 10 yeast balls, and it is more a paste than a wet soup. I did cut the water added to the dry rice just a bit.. 4 1/2 cups instead of 5 because the rice was coming out pretty wet still.

Good night, sweetheart. See you again in a month! :D

Harvested my 2nd batch. Definitely sweeter, but still has a citrus/acidic tang...also, this second batch is white. 12 hours of cold crashing outside here in PA there was no separation and it looks like 2% milk. Tastes good, though I couldn't try much since I had to head to work :p

Has anyone ever tried dry hopping rice wine?

I'd never heard of anyone hopping a wine, but just did a check and see it's been done, but mostly to barley wine? I'm not a hop fan and use it sparingly even on my beer batches, but rice is cheap. Give it a try!

Harvested my 2nd batch. Definitely sweeter, but still has a citrus/acidic tang...also, this second batch is white. 12 hours of cold crashing outside here in PA there was no separation and it looks like 2% milk. Tastes good, though I couldn't try much since I had to head to work :p

It tends to separate quickly when cold. I'd say a day or two and you'll get results.

I'd never heard of anyone hopping a wine, but just did a check and see it's been done, but mostly to barley wine? I'm not a hop fan and use it sparingly even on my beer batches, but rice is cheap. Give it a try!

the reason i thought of this was a hopped cider i had tried. ill give it a try the next batch tho

I don't know what most of you use for cooking your rice, but I use a Tupperware large rice cooker that looks like this.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...AAB294F83448EFE9DF83F28845CA&selectedIndex=14

I cook 3 cups (Full cups) of dried rice at a time in them and it's done in @ 20 minutes in the microwave. A few months back, we bought a new over-the-stove microwave when we bought a new oven, but we still have the old microwave on the counter for the time being. So.. I bought another of the Tupperware cookers off Ebay (Be careful because there is a smaller size also that has a handle) and can have two batches of rice going at once, plus, they're great for steaming vegetables for dinner. Probably less work to have the big rice cookers you set and forget, but I know several people that make this stuff in smaller batches.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Well, 3 days in and my big batch still has no activity to speak of. I bought my yeast balls in bulk and have had them for quite a while and keep in my garage. The yeast has either gone bad or I pitched too hot. I opened the lid and the rice is being broken down nicely and tasting the liquid, it's extremely sweet. There are just a few CO2 bubbles, but not what they should be. So.. I pitched a packet of Champagne yeast. We'll see what happens.

Thinking that a month back, the yeastballs worked fine, I'm betting I just pitched too hot this time.

Well, 3 days in and my big batch still has no activity to speak of. I bought my yeast balls in bulk and have had them for quite a while and keep in my garage. The yeast has either gone bad or I pitched too hot. I opened the lid and the rice is being broken down nicely and tasting the liquid, it's extremely sweet. There are just a few CO2 bubbles, but not what they should be. So.. I pitched a packet of Champagne yeast. We'll see what happens.

Thinking that a month back, the yeastballs worked fine, I'm betting I just pitched too hot this time.

Never seen any bubbles in mine at all . If the rice is being broken down then the mold on the yeast balls is doing it's job converting starch to sugar for the yeast to start eating . Give it a week and see how much liquid you have . the liquid will be sweet until the yeast start at it .

Never seen any bubbles in mine at all . If the rice is being broken down then the mold on the yeast balls is doing it's job converting starch to sugar for the yeast to start eating . Give it a week and see how much liquid you have . the liquid will be sweet until the yeast start at it .

When you make these bigger batches with this large an area of rice being fermented, they'll bubble vigorously. I've done several of them and never had them take more than about a day to take off.

Yes, I agree the mold on the yeast balls are doing their job... or the RYR. Still haven't figured out it's role in all this besides fruity taste and color. With having 1.3 times the weight of the dry rice in additional water added, it shouldn't be this sweet. It was almost syrup sweet and very little yeast activity. Hoping this champagne yeast takes off and doesn't change the flavor.

Well... I threw in the Champagne yeast last night and the batch seems to be taking off this morning. Problem is, I thought this Red Star champagne yeast (Yellow package) was equivelent to the alc. tolerance of the EC1118 champagne yeast. Wrong. So, do I:

1: Leave it alone and see if what few yeast survived from the yeast balls reproduce sufficiently to take the alc higher.

2: I've got a bottle of White Labs Sake yeast that is past it's due date. Try it while there's still plenty of sugars to take off?

3: I've still got the packet of ARL that Jack sent me. I just hate to waste this just for the yeast in it. The starches are being converted just fine. Apparently the mold has a higher temp tolerance than this yeast in the yeast balls.

I just dug around and don't have any 1118 left. I'm leaning towards leaving it alone, though I am probably needing to pitch something else soon if that's the consensus.

I tried putting in some champagne yeast and it did nothing .

Next time you cook your rice put it in a colander and run cold water over it and stir . this breaks up the clumps and cools it off nicely . besides according to the asians it is supposed to be washed off after cooking .

Apparently not all champagne yeasts are equal as far as alc tolerance. The 1118 is good up to 20%.

I've heard of washing before, but not after? Seems like you'd lose a lot of the starches that way? Especially on the sweet rice which is pretty wettish still after cooking. I'd like all those starches converted to alc, not washed down the drain.

With the way I've been adding additional water, it cools the rice down a LOT, and though I didn't take a temp reading, it just seemed warm to my hand. These yeast apparently are more heat sensitive than I thought. My Chinese friend said they try to keep the wine @ 60 degrees. My warmer ran batches have been sour many times, so it makes sense.

I'll just have to make sure my rice is cooled off better next time.

So my wife got this big bag of rice online for sushi but the bag says "all purpose rice (excellent for sushi)". Do you think this will work?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

1387642024905.jpg

Sushi rice is sweet/sticky rice. It'll work great!

Premium Sushi rice at the Chinese store I buy it from runs @ a dollar a pound. May I ask how much that was?

$25 for 15 lbs. Almost $2 per pound. I'll inform her that she needs to look at some more local Asian stores.

No biggie, it's just that a lot of people don't HAVE local Asian stores. Closest one to me is @ 100 miles, so I stock up when I go there.

So my wife got this big bag of rice online for sushi but the bag says "all purpose rice (excellent for sushi)". Do you think this will work?

All purpose rice probably does not have the sugar content that sweet rice would have . Still should work i guess but perhaps with less alcohol in the end .
sticky ( sweet ) rice is cheap in any Asian store .

Apparently not all champagne yeasts are equal as far as alc tolerance. The 1118 is good up to 20%.

I've heard of washing before, but not after? Seems like you'd lose a lot of the starches that way? Especially on the sweet rice which is pretty wettish still after cooking. I'd like all those starches converted to alc, not washed down the drain.

With the way I've been adding additional water, it cools the rice down a LOT, and though I didn't take a temp reading, it just seemed warm to my hand. These yeast apparently are more heat sensitive than I thought. My Chinese friend said they try to keep the wine @ 60 degrees. My warmer ran batches have been sour many times, so it makes sense.

I'll just have to make sure my rice is cooled off better next time.

http://www.jiangnan.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u3-6.htm scroll down to 3.6.7 Sealed-jar Rice Wine or 3.6.4 XIANG XUE RICE WINE or 3.6.5 Red-Rice Wine

Basically what I did was from this - from here http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/2011/05/homemade-fermented-rice.html

Modern method:
( Note Paragraph 3 for rinsing )

1. You will need a very clean 2-quart glass jar with a lid and an electric rice cooker. Start by scrubbing the jar and the insert for the rice cooker with soap and water, pouring boiling water over them, and allowing them to air dry.

2. Rinse the rice three times in running water, drain the rice in a sieve (note that because of the size of most rice cookers, you'll probably have to wash and cook the rice in two batches), and put half of the rice (24 ounces or 6⅜ cups) in your rice cooker. Add 1⅜ cups filtered water, cover, and turn on the cooker. When the rice is fully cooked, repeat with the other half of the rice.

3. Put the yeast ball in a small, clean bowl and pour in ¼ cup of the cooled, filtered boiled water for fermenting, and allow the yeast to soften while you rinse the cooked rice. Place a very clean sieve with medium holes in the sink. Dump one portion of cooked rice into the sieve and rinse the rice under cool tap water to break up any clumps; shake off the water and pour some cooled boiled, filtered water over the rice. Drain the rice again and put it into the clean jar. Repeat this step with the rest of the rice until all of it has been rinsed.

4. When all of the rice has been rinsed and placed in the jar, sprinkle the sugar and cornstarch on top. Mash the softened yeast ball with a clean spoon and add it to the jar; use the rest of the cooled, filtered boiled water (1¾ cups) to rinse out the bowl and into the rice so that you get every last bit of the yeast. Wash your hands thoroughly and use one hand to gently toss the rice with these ingredients. Pat the rice into a more or less smooth layer, and then form a well in the center of the rice, which gives the wine a place to gather the first day. (See the picture at the top.)

5. Clean off the top and insides of the jar with a clean paper towel, cover the jar with a piece of clean cheesecloth and plastic wrap, and then put the lid on so that it is loose enough to allow air to escape, but secure enough so that the cheesecloth and plastic wrap will keep any insects out. Use a felt pen to write the date on the jar so that later on you know when you made it.

6. Wrap the jar with a kitchen towel and place it in a very warm place, like a gas oven with only the pilot light on or an electric oven with only the oven light on. Let the jar sit undisturbed for 24 hours. Check it after that time -- there should be liquid in that well you made in the rice, and the top of the rice should not have any mold on it. (If mold forms on the rice, it either was contaminated somewhere along the line or the rice wasn't fermented in a warm enough place. When you have mold on top, it's best to toss everything out and start over, but as always it's up to you.)

7. Remove the jar from the oven and place in a relatively warm place, like on the kitchen counter, so that you can watch the wine formation take place. After two or three days, the mass of rice will float on top of the wine, and you can start mixing the rice and wine together and further deterring any mold by gently swishing the jar around. It will be ready in around a week, but it only improves as the wine ages. Take whiffs of it now and then - and even a taste (with a really clean spoon) - to make certain that the flavor is sweet and alcoholic. At this point where you are pleased with the flavor, you should store the fermented rice in the refrigerator to keep it from fermenting anymore and turning sour.

I store it warm and dark with a campden tablet .

It still seems to me that washing it is losing a lot of starch. Also, she seems to be making it more to eat than making rice wine. That blob of mush left over after the ferment doesn't look like it'd be too appetizing to me.. lol. I also wouldn't even dream of harvesting after just a week, though many articles I've read where people do this to eat says they harvest at day 3 or 4.

That being said, I have several times thought of starting a batch with a little bit of sugar thrown in. I've had a few moldy batches now. Mold needs oxygen, and if you get the yeast started early on something to start producing CO2 to push out the oxygen, then the mold can't grow. May be something incorporated into the future batches for me. Thank you for the link.

Now.. After cold crashing, I bottled up some of the wine from my previous pictures. Here's to holday spirits! Merry Christmas everyone!

I recon eating the rice and the wine together would be horrible . I do not want to try that as the wine it's self is the most disgusting wine I ever tried .
Harvesting in a week is for eating not drinking of course . But the process is the same .
I have not had a mold problem . I put it in a hot room 80 - 90 degrees for 24 hours to kick it off fast and stop the mold from taking hold . I also shake it up every day to mix the alcohol around in the rice and stop mold .
This last batch I have not shaken . I do not think any mold is in it either . I did just squeeze out a jar of the black rice wine and it did not have any . By the way it tastes different . like grape wine sort of but not strong flavor .

How ever if you look at the technical article on the other link it shows the rice is washed in some cases for certain types including this sealed jar type .
i do not think starch is going to wash out of the kernel . perhaps a small amount . It is soluble in water when heated but the cold water is just going to cool it down fast and stop that from happening .

also I did use corn starch and sugar with my yeast .

I may have to try some of that red wine . this white stuff is quite nasty and I am going to throw it all out . No way I could drink it . Even with flavoring in it it is still nasty . I guess it is just not a taste for me since a lot of people like it .

My favorite dandelion wine turned red and is ruined for some reason . was a nice orange color . Only the bottle I was drinking on survived .

What makes your rice wine disgusting? Is it sour?

I understand the sugar to get the yeast started, but why cornstarch? It can't be eaten by the yeast until it's converted like the rice, so what's the point of it?

Hello everyone! I found this thread and made some rice wine with jasmine rice. I filled a glass gal jar a little more than ¾ the way full with rice I had compacted tightly in it. After 3 weeks and 2 days I had lots of liquid. Enough to fill a 700ml wine bottle and a quart sized mason jar. I only had a golf ball size of mash leftover. I tasted it today and its got a very very strong alcohol taste to it. My only problem is it has a slight yeast aftertaste to it. Does anyone know why? This is my first time doing anything like this. Thanks!

No disgusting wine here. Just sweet and strong goodness. I may have an occasional batch that's a bit on the sour side but only because of the water volume, temps or type of rice. If I do get a batch that's on the sour side, I usually sweeten with some blueberry or pomegranate juice. Still tastes great.

They are usually few and far between. The majority of my batches are strong sweet and delicious. I love how simple and good this stuff is.

My last batch I got 9 1/2 beer bottles from a 5# (dry) batch of jasmine rice. Probably would've gotten 10 if I hadn't had a full bottle tip over before I could cap it. :(

My only problem is it has a slight yeast aftertaste to it. Does anyone know why? This is my first time doing anything like this. Thanks!

Is it yeast, or do you think it is rice aftertaste? Several things can change taste on this stuff. At just over 3 weeks, the yeast may have still been fairly actively working. Many on here like to drink the wine with the solids mixed in (Cloudy) and this would lead to a much more rice/yeast taste. I like to stick mine in the fridge and let it settle out. Like how mine went from this...

...to the clear bottles I just posted. Much cleaner taste and way better appearance, in my own little unimportant opinion. lol.

Also, the type of rice used will affect the taste, so try some sweet rice next time and see if it's any better for you. Just remember, though lots of people love the rice wine, for some, it just isn't their cup of tea.

What makes your rice wine disgusting? Is it sour?

I understand the sugar to get the yeast started, but why cornstarch? It can't be eaten by the yeast until it's converted like the rice, so what's the point of it?
I recon it is so the mold can get started early on some easy to get to starch until it gets to breaking down the rice to get to that starch.

i do not know about the taste . All of it has tasted the same . It is not really sour I do not think . It does not taste sweet at all to me . It is just a very strange flavor that I find kind of nauseating . It is probably just my pallet . Kind of like lobster or crab . Most people love it . I would not eat it if it were free. Kind of like tequila . Almost makes me puke just from the smell .

i do not know about the taste . All of it has tasted the same . It is not really sour I do not think . It does not taste sweet at all to me . It is just a very strange flavor that I find kind of nauseating . It is probably just my pallet . Kind of like lobster or crab . Most people love it . I would not eat it if it were free. Kind of like tequila . Almost makes me puke just from the smell .

I know that if you make it according to the way the OP posted (1.5:1 water:rice) it generally comes out rather sweet, but very alcoholic. Much more water than that and it tends to come out with a strong "bite" to it. At least that has been my experience. :mug:

Has anyone ever tried adding raisins to their rice when making this? One of my co-workers is from Jamaica and we got to talking and he suggested adding some raisins.

I did a batch using sushi rice, red rice and yeast balls. My batch has been in the jar for about 10 days now, and it's formed some fuzz on top that is gray in color. Should I be worried about this?

Has anyone ever tried adding raisins to their rice when making this? One of my co-workers is from Jamaica and we got to talking and he suggested adding some raisins.

There's several winemaking recipes that call for raisins. I'm doing big batches of banana and pear wines right now and they both call for raisins. But.. I think anything you add that has sugar is only going to make the rice wine even sweeter and without adding any additional water, it's almost too sweet as it is for me. That's why I've been trying to make a drier batch.

Itsthebeard.. I've never had any batches that had mold turn out any good. I don't think it'll hurt you, but mine sure had a foul smell and taste to it. How's it smell?

raisins are good in wine . Might try the golden variety for this wine . I use them in my dandelion wine .

that fuzz sure looks tasty . did you give it a try and see if it has that good old fashioned fuzzy mold taste ?

Try putting your jar in a hot place 8-0 - 90 degrees for 24 hours at the start . this will stop the mold from taking hold . Also maybe shake it up every couple days to get the alcohol on the rice so mold can not grow .

If I were you I would remove that moldy top and then shake it up real good to get that alcohol mixed in . that should stop it I think .

I did a batch using sushi rice, red rice and yeast balls. My batch has been in the jar for about 10 days now, and it's formed some fuzz on top that is gray in color. Should I be worried about this?

Was it exposed to a lot of light? The batches that turned out with mold have done so because I didn't cover them and due to light exposure, they formed a layer of mold exactly like what you see in your picture. Didn't taste bad but it did cause some concern. In the end, it turned out fine. In fact, I don't think I ever made a batch that didn't produce at least a little mold. It can be controlled by limiting the amount of light and also if you stir it for the first 4-5 days. Either way, they both taste fine. For me, it was just a matter of visual and mental comfort levels. I was brought up with "if it grows mold, throw it out" motto for food and beverage. But, this wine breaks the rules.

trbig ;
does that red wine taste a lot different than the white ?

Not a lot, but there is a more fruity taste to it. I haven't seen this written in a while, so I'll say it now. Statin drugs for reducing cholesterol are derived from the particular mold that makes red yeast rice the color it is, so it has been advised that if you are currently taking these and consume rice wine made with it, it could mess with your dosage.

Was it exposed to a lot of light? The batches that turned out with mold have done so because I didn't cover them and due to light exposure, they formed a layer of mold exactly like what you see in your picture. Didn't taste bad but it did cause some concern. In the end, it turned out fine. In fact, I don't think I ever made a batch that didn't produce at least a little mold. It can be controlled by limiting the amount of light and also if you stir it for the first 4-5 days. Either way, they both taste fine. For me, it was just a matter of visual and mental comfort levels. I was brought up with "if it grows mold, throw it out" motto for food and beverage. But, this wine breaks the rules.

I didn't shake or even touch mine the whole time it sat in my closet. No fuzz at all. I do think my yeast taste was from the yeast still being active. Next time ill wait longer.

I tasted some of my first batch a few days after it started fermenting . the yeast taste is horrible indeed . Waiting is a good thing .

Just finished making my first batch. I think. I got in a hurry so the rice was still pretty warm when I spooned it in. My jar also ended up pretty full. How large is your jar?

Back