Making sure I do this right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James0816

Reaction score
Racked to secondary, added just a bit under 1/16 tsp Kmeta and gently swirled bottle.

Put an airlock on it and its bubbling just a wee bit. (This is normal right)

After a day or two i will then add sorbate and repeat

After another couple, backsweeten and bottle.

Just making sure i get it right

Thanks for all the help

Oh, and about head space, im about an inch from the neck after racking. Is that going to be an issue?

Can’t comment on stabilizers, but in secondary, you generally want to eliminate as much surface area ass possible. The bubbles can be from off gassing if you didn’t degas it first.
So in a carboy, if there’s no fermentation taking place anymore, I’d fill it right up into the neck, leaving maybe an inch of air. Use water if you must, but If your stabilizing and sweetening it, you can alway add juice, sugar syrup, or honey to take up volume and add sweetness.

Oh, and about head space, i'm about an inch from the neck after racking. Is that going to be an issue?

This is typical of mine...

47882783981_d293f94b8a_c.jpg

I think maybe (?) part of the reason for leaving any headspace at all is to allow for thermal expansion. Believe it or not, the waterline in your jug is a kind of crude thermometer. Air compresses, but not liquid.

Latest posts

Back