Making mead for first time, can I only use FermFed without DAP additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edd101

Reaction score
So I'm attempting to follow this recipie Beginner Traditional.

I have FermFed, which I understand from googling is the equivilent of Fermaid K which contains DAP.

I checked the recipe calculator here: BatchBuildr - MeadMakr , and it says I need to add Fermaid K , DAP, and go-ferm.

Think I can get away with only using the K, or do I need to go ahead and order those other ingredients?

3.2Lb honey making a 1 gallon batch should give you an OG of ~1.115
That is almost 15% ABV, except with that US-05 yeast, you'll only get up to 9% - 13% depending on yeast hydration and colony health. The recipe says 1.012 to 1.022 final gravity.
You will probably have a final gravity in the range of 1.017 - 1.048... so semi-sweet to very sweet. I would certainly use the full 5g of yeast called for in the recipe.

Back to your question: Using a TOSNA protocol you can likely just use the nutrient that you have. TOSNA would call for 2.5g of Go-Ferm when rehydrating, but you don't have that. Do not use your nutrient for initial yeast hydration as the yeast walls will not be able to deal with the DAP when hydrating. Just hydrate your yeast in water (not distilled) according to the packet directions.

TOSNA calls for you to use a total of 2g of nutrient spread out over 4 equal feedings of .5g each time. I would probably add the first .5g right before or after you pitch the yeast and then again at 24, 48 and 72 hours.

I've taken the SafAle S-04 to almost 14%, but it was a long, slow fermentation to finally get there.

Last edited:
Ugh you were right, did not get anywhere near the FG called by the recipe 1.012 -1.022. Ended at 1.037 / 12.9% abv

My understanding is this will be drinkable, but very sweet. I was ideally going for a semi sweet.

I'm considering the following, any you think may be worth pursuing?

1. Do nothing, but add water to taste at consumption
2. Adding water to the fermenter now, with the possibility it may pick up again.
3. Pitching something higher tolerance

Leaning towards #2, though not sure how long I have to wait before it's safe to bottle again if fermentation doesn't pick up.

You can add water to the carboy which will drop your ABV and your yeast may just start up again. Stir up the lees from the bottom.
They will tap out at the same ABV but more sugar will get used and drop your final gravity.

Your hydrometer will tell you when it started up again and when it is finished.

You always have the option of pitching a higher tolerance yeast but it will likely take it dry instead of semi-sweet.

Hmm, so I used this calculator Dilution And Boiloff Gravity Calculator - Brewer's Friend

And it says to go from 1.037 of 1.2 gallons of wort, to 1.025, to add .58 gallons of water. That's almost a 50% increase yield of the recipie. Seems like way too much.

Though I think the math is slightly more complicated because adding the water reduces the gravity, but then also kicks off the fermentation which reduces it even further.

Your original 1 gallon recipe had a potential of 15%.

Adding .58 gallons to the original volume drops that potential to 9.8%, which will take it dry with that yeast... so too much water for what you want.

If you add .2 gallon to the original volume you would hit a 12.58%... we know you already had hit 13% so that extra amount probably would have taken you dry if you had started with it.

An original volume of 1.1 gallons would have hit a potential of 13.66%. The yeast would tap out and you would have some residual sweetness. So adding about 1.5 cups of water and the yeast starting up again will likely get you to where you want to be.

it says I need to add Fermaid K , DAP, and go-ferm.
I've experimented few times without adding anything but GoFerm. It takes from a normal 2-3 weeks to 3+ months time frame to finish brewing. Can it be done? Sure....if you want to wait that long.

Latest posts

Back