Making an ale with lager yeast...temp questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSGT09

Reaction score
So I have a batch of 1554 clone fermenting right now and am using Wyeast Bohemian lager and fermenting it like an ale to get the character that is attributed to the 1554 as suggested. I have it fermenting right now at 65 degrees and want to make sure my next steps look right. Here is my plan:

-Ferment at 65 degrees for 3 weeks
-Drop temp to 34-35 degrees for 1 week
-Bottle and add a 1/4 pack of clean ale yeast (Nottingham, or S04) to my priming solution for carbonation.

Do I need to do a D-rest at room temp before dropping the temp to 35 or are my temps already high enough? Any other off flavors I need to worry about that might come from using this lager yeast at an ale temperature that I need to wait for the yeast to clean up?

I have an Oktoberfest on tap right now that I tested out the Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast strain at about 63* that turned out pretty well. I couldn't do a d-rest because I couldn't really get it any warmer than it already was and it worked out. This Brewing TV episode is where I heard about this technique, not sure if they mention anything about a d-rest or not.

Also, if you're curious the Oktoberfest is reviewed in the blog in my signature. Kind of a weak review, but it's there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your plan is just fine, but do a taste test for diacetyl before you bottle. If you taste butter, warm it up to 68 again for a few days and do another taste test. 2124 is noted for producing diacetyl.

Latest posts

Back