making an airlock...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artfldodger

Reaction score
So I just got a kit from Austin home brew (plastic primary, glass secondary) and I'm looking to make my first batch friday. The primary I have isn't already fitted for an airlock so before I go drilling into the lid of this thing... whats the best way to make one & seal it?

or am I just trying to make things too complex when I could have already drilled a hole and caulked it.....

I wouldnt attempt to make an airlock. They are to inexpensive to mess around making one. It is odd that your kit did not come with one though. You can buy one and a rubber stopper, and drill a hole to tightly fit the stopper.

Alternatively, a blow off hose will suffice. Drill a hole in the lid of your bucket just large enough for a length of hose to be inserted. To use it, sanitize the hose and put one end in the hole you drilled and the other in a small bucket partially filled with sanitizing solution.

Even that may not be totaly necesssary. For primary fermentation the yeast are producing an extraorinary amount of CO2. I have heard of people just setting the lid loosely on the bucket.

- magno

On the lid of my bucket there is a hole drilled for the airlock as well as sort of a rubber gasket inserted in that hole to keep it airtight. In addition to the hole you should try and find something like that to keep it in their tight (so if someone knocks into like in my house it just moves around and wont fall out). And you also want it for reasons of a good seal.

Sorry guys, I didnt include enough information... it actually did come with an airlock & rubber stopper... but nothing on the primary fermenter to fit it on to. Its a 7.5 gal plastic bucket (from what i've read I dont need a blowoff hose, not to mention my fermenting closet is pretty small) So I'm wondering how you guys would make an opening in the lid of it? or if its best.. just to leave open a crack? Thanks!

In case you haven't already cut it...

A friend of mine has a bucket lid that he drilled to whatever size hole fits with a "universal carboy bung."

I think it's handy in that the same bungs fit both bucket and carboy--same blowout rig for either, etc.

cweston said:
In case you haven't already cut it...

A friend of mine has a bucket lid that he drilled to whatever size hole fits with a "universal carboy bung."

I think it's handy in that the same bungs fit both bucket and carboy--same blowout rig for either, etc.

That would be very convienient. Also if I had the option I would try to put the hol close to the center of the lid. Sometimes having the airlock on one side gets in the way of the handle when it is time to move the bucket. Of course this can be avoided by being more careful which side the handle lays on when pitching the yeast, but theis pretty regularly slips my mind.

- magno

Are you sure that the plastic is your primary? If you have a rubber stopper and a 6.5 gal. carboy, maybe the glass is your primary and they just gave you a bucket for bottling. Most kits seem to give you the necessary supplies just to go straight from the primary bottles.

It sounds to me like they sent you a single-stage kit (whether that's what you paid for or not) which would involve fermenting all the way in the glass carboy, then siphoning to the bucket for bottling. If the bucket were intended for fermentation, it would have a hole in the lid.

Now, that's not saying that you can't modify it. It is yours after all. Just cut the hole in the lid (not the side since the water in the airlock will run out) and stick the stopper/airlock in that came with the kit.

Before you do that, just double-check what you actually ordered. If you ordered and paid for a two-stage kit, you shouldn't have to do any modification. Contact Austin Homebrew and let them know you got the wrong thing.

artfldodger said:
cool, thanks for the great tips guys! I'll get drilling that universal hole.
there's a bar in philly called the artful dodger.... any relation?

Gruntingfrog, good call, they did send me the wrong lid for the primary.

Lou, no intentional relation... Its the name of a sarcastic pick-pocket in Oliver Twist and there's also a bar here in Chicago of the same name.

Drill it carefully, the hole has to be clean for the stopper to make a good seal. If you have access to a punch, use that.

Did they give you a second bucket with a hole drilled in the side to use as a bottling bucket? What about a spout to insert into the holl drilled in the side (towards the bottom) to assist you in bottling??

well they just sent out the correct lid to me, which should be here by this weekend so I can be on my way and not worry about a sloppy cut hole!

chask31: No, no bottling bucket was provided... but it came with a spring loaded bottle filler and an autosyphon... which seems mighty handy.

Back