Making a slughtly sweet cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larso

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried(or know about) filtering yeast out of cider before it reaches fg and force carbonating it to get a slightly sweet bottled cider. I could force carb in keg and transfer to bottles using blichmann beergun, just curious about the filtering stage?

Thanks

L

Has anyone ever tried(or know about) filtering yeast out of cider before it reaches fg and force carbonating it to get a slightly sweet bottled cider.

Yes, many commercial cideries do this. You need sub-micron to sterile filter and you need to cold crash first or else you will clog your filters too fast. If you use ale yeast and are careful with the crash then you dont need to sterile filter to get the yeast out.

LeBreton said:
Sure, that would work theoretically, but good luck trying to find a home-sized affordable filter.

Thanks guys, I thought a DIY 5 micron would remove yeast. Am I wrong?

Thanks guys, I thought a DIY 5 micron would remove yeast. Am I wrong?

5 micron will not do the trick. Like CvilleKevin said, you need a sterile filter to capture the yeast <1 micron in size. You'll also need to do at least 1 coarse filtration or you will clog the finer filter since there will be a ton of solids being stirred around by the fermentation that will not have settled out.

poorly executed filtration is also the most common cause of oxidation in ciders IMO.

Thanx guys, enough of that idea, wAay to problematic. I have a gallon of apple juice which has fermented using natural yeast. It was pressed by a local cider maker and given to me at a cider making course he ran. I'll drink this dry but next autumn I'm considering pressing my own juice and making some cider. I might consider some stove top pasteurisation

Thanx

L

Back