Making A Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackZX3

Reaction score
Hi, I am interested in making a Grain Mill, however I don't know the specifics of things such as clearance between the rollers. I was thinking about 50 thousandths. Is this about right? I plan on making it adjustable probably from about .020-.080 Would this work? I only plan on making it because my father is a tool maker and we own a very nice lathe and milling machine and we have lots of extra scrap stainless. Any help would be appreciated.

Just check out Yuri's grain mill in the project locator. In his thread there is an imbedded link that can take you to one that he had copied. I myself had made one and copied from his and some others. I have pics in my gallery.

You should make your mill adjustable. You never know when you'll be using different grains ( corn, rye, wheat, etc.) and the gaps with definitely be different. I made mine adjustable from 1/16"- 5/16". Not sure about what it would mic out at. Right now I have it set at about .042- .045. This is roughly the thickness of a credit card and a paper business card together. Good luck and let's see some pics!

I built one using conveyor rollers from a local mining supply company. It was a pretty simple project and runs great. The rollers are about 4" x 12" and are adjustable.

CIMG0094.jpg

Sweet, Lots of great info. I will be sure to post pics during and after the build. I just couldn't see spending 100+ dollars on something when I have all the materials and tools at home to build one. Thanks guys

Back