Making a Custom Brew Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angry_gopher

Reaction score
What materials do I need to have to make a custom brew bag? What is the best mesh material? What type of thread? Anything special about the elastic?

TIA!

What materials do I need to have to make a custom brew bag? What is the best mesh material? What type of thread? Anything special about the elastic?

TIA!

If it's a 1-off, I'd just contact Wilserbrewer and order one. I have several from him for different form factors. BTW, they use a drawstring rather than elastic. They're really quite well done.

I bought voile curtain (polyester, I think) and just sewed the edges together, then a curve on the bottom. I put some rope through the top where the curtain rod goes. It's not beautiful, but it makes lovely beer. You can probably find some youtube videos on it. Let us know how it goes.

So I guess I’ll just go to a dress shop and start asking questions.

Gee, now I'm a little sorry I responded. But that's the internet for you, you make the effort to provide a response and you get what you get.

I've seen many times on HBT that someone asks a question about how to do something, someone responds "Have you thought about doing this instead?" and it turns out to be a much better idea than the original one.

Gee, now I'm a little sorry I responded. But that's the internet for you, you make the effort to provide a response and you get what you get.

I've seen many times on HBT that someone asks a question about how to do something, someone responds "Have you thought about doing this instead?" and it turns out to be a much better idea than the original one.

Hmmm, I guess you didn't understand the question, my bad.

Hmm, I guess when I asked what materials do I need to this, and the response is 'buy a ready-made bag from my buddy'. Apparently, sewing is now rocket science.

He's not my buddy. I am just a satisfied customer. I hope you find what you're seeking, as it appears your approach here will not bear much fruit. Good luck.

If you go to the fabric store and ask for Swiss Voile you will get the right stuff. It is usually used to make the sheer version of curtains that goes under a more decorative curtain. I'm sure there is a name for that but I don't know it!

The fabric is made out of polyester. I also made sure I used polyester thread.

I've since moved on to a traditional 3-vessel set up. Here is the adventure of my last bag/basket if you are interested.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/voile-biabasket.581013/

Latest posts

Back