Making a counter pressure can filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidman

Reaction score
Hey all,
Found a great deal on a cannular and wanted to start canning. I have cans on the way but was considering how to counter pressure fill the cans. I saw the tapcooler version at +$200 and I thought it's a little overkill. I love my tapcooler counter pressure bottle filler and wondered why I couldn't just get a larger diameter silicone seal to place over the smaller one. Anyone seen anything like that? I found some can lids but they don't seem pressure ready. TIA

gf893_1.jpeg

I made my own version of the counter pressure can filler
Similar to the tap cooler but I’ve used a silicone bung (AliExpress) it fits inside the can top. I marked where the can came up to on the bung then cut the bung down so there was about 3mm inside the can
I used a normal counter pressure bottle filler and fabricated a mount to hold it on the clamp

Hey all,
Found a great deal on a cannular and wanted to start canning. I have cans on the way but was considering how to counter pressure fill the cans. I saw the tapcooler version at +$200 and I thought it's a little overkill. I love my tapcooler counter pressure bottle filler and wondered why I couldn't just get a larger diameter silicone seal to place over the smaller one. Anyone seen anything like that? I found some can lids but they don't seem pressure ready. TIA

View attachment 818612
Did you find a solution?

Yep
I made my own cpf with a hand clamp a Chinese cpf and a silicone bung. I’ve tried to cut the bung down to insert into the can to also reduce the level of fill but found that that’s unnecessary as it’s the level that the overflow pipe is that regulates the level of liquid/foam. To get it to seal you can just leave the bung oversize on the can for it to seal

Yep
I made my own cpf with a hand clamp a Chinese cpf and a silicone bung. I’ve tried to cut the bung down to insert into the can to also reduce the level of fill but found that that’s unnecessary as it’s the level that the overflow pipe is that regulates the level of liquid/foam. To get it to seal you can just leave the bung oversize on the can for it to seal
What size bung did you use?

If you don’t mind it would also be very helpful to see a photo of the setup!

What size bung did you use?

If you don’t mind it would also be very helpful to see a photo of the setup!
Sorry I can’t remember the size of the bung. I just got one a bit larger than the can opening and cut it off to give about 3mm inside the can (you need a tapered bung with a hole in it)
The pipe from the counter pressure filler I cut off and used a telescopic drinking straw (stainless) to give me adjustable height for various size cans and you can still do bottles with the bung
I’ll grab a photo tomorrow for you

Sorry I can’t remember the size of the bung. I just got one a bit larger than the can opening and cut it off to give about 3mm inside the can (you need a tapered bung with a hole in it)
The pipe from the counter pressure filler I cut off and used a telescopic drinking straw (stainless) to give me adjustable height for various size cans and you can still do bottles with the bung
I’ll grab a photo tomorrow for you
115D31A4-E350-4531-8EFA-48B878F55ACF.jpeg
23BC008C-0EFE-4D09-88F7-5DA964565A40.jpeg
240FB563-0535-412A-A50E-0EFFA2220FDC.jpeg
7EA863E1-D117-4B40-B428-2FFAAE7F4A03.jpeg
80F1780D-BE94-43A6-A4E2-7217D56BF220.jpeg
B772126D-43AC-49B5-A64B-0A2C58BA715E.jpeg

The black stuff that you can see is black silicone (the only stuff I had at hand that I knew would stick everything to the stainless steel)
The upside cup looking thing is the top of a soda stream bottle cut to fit. This is to direct any escape of liquid down and not over me!
Awesome. That’s quite the contraption. I may look into creating something similar. I appreciate the photos and explanation! Cheers

Latest posts

Back