Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this applescrap just trolling or is he serious?
How could he not understand that not everyone wants juice/sludge beers all the time?
There is this wonderful ignore user function on forums. Makes browsing less annoying.
This.

Screenshot_20191220-181927.jpg

Unfortunately Tapatalk won't go any further than this (and I still get notifications if the various morons on my ignore list quote or tag me, and their posts show up when others quote them, which I think is Tapatalk and not HBT itself, but I never use this forum on a computer) but it does make browsing much quieter.

This is well-thought-out and written. I'm having a little bit of a hard time wrapping my head around the whole beef analogy. I don't think it's that complicated. According to this link there are something like a 100 different styles that people could enter into NHC, If I'm reading this correctly. I personally dont want to make a sweeping statement about what "beer" is or isnt, and or judge others enjoyment of beer based on whether they like one style or 100. So what beer style does someone have to like to be qualified as enjoying beer and moreso who put you in charge of that decision. Thats my point.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/from-the-director/2018-national-homebrew-competition-styles/

Think of it like beef.

If you say you like beef, it's more than likely that you like multiple styles of beef. I.e. you like cheeseburgers, you like filet mignon, you like roast beef sandwiches, you like carne asada, etc etc etc.

With beef, you know that no matter how it's prepared, there is going to be some level of consistency in what "beef" looks like, tastes like, etc.

I personally love beef, but I'm not particularly a fan of beef back ribs. I find them to be full of the least palatable parts of beef, without enough "meat" on them to make up for it. That doesn't mean I don't like beef. But if someone doesn't like steak, doesn't like roast beef, doesn't like carne asada, but absolutely LOVES Taco Bell beef tacos, I'm going to say that their taco meat love is an exception, and they really don't particularly like beef.

Same with coffee. A lot of people I know like coffee, but don't like to drink it black. It's just *too* bitter. But they like it with a little cream and sugar, or they like a latte. I personally like it black, but I understand that can be too aggressive for some folks (just like West Coast IPA can be too aggressive for some folks).

But if someone ONLY drinks coffee when Pumpkin Spice Latte season comes around, or only drinks the most froo-froo Starbucks drinks that are just buckets of sugar with a tiny amount of coffee added in for color [not flavor], I'm going to say they don't really like coffee.

I feel the same way about beer.

Juicy IPAs are beer. They're even "real beer". So is Raspberry Lambic. So is Keystone Light, the beer that helps you avoid "bitter beer face". Heck, you can make a case that Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is beer.

That said, "beer" encompasses a whole wide range of characteristics. Usually it includes a level of malt flavor/aroma, a level of moderate [to high] bitterness, and some level of hop flavor/aroma. The degrees of which they're present is dependent on the beer. More often than not, people who drink beer do so because they appreciate these qualities.

Raspberry Lambic, while it's undeniably real beer, has a whole bunch of different qualities. I would make a claim that if you only drink Raspberry Lambic, and don't like other beer, that you don't really fit in the category of people who actually like beer based on the one-off.

I think @Qhrumphf is making a point that if you go to a beer that looks, tastes, and approximates alcoholic fruit juice, that if someone is all about that but thumbs their nose at a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, that they probably like what's trendy and aren't really someone who likes beer.

Last edited:
Am I on your ignore list crumpy? I am honored! I have contemplated adding you to mine but your machismo doesn't bother me all that much. And your wannabe pro info is sometimes useful I suppose. I thought about adding Jersey, but I like his rants. Also how am I suppose to know whether you dont like me or if this is some sort of cop out to not have to answer to your sweeping statements. Me personally, I wont run and hide behind the ignore wall after making sweeping statements. Ill either defend my position or admit I was wrong.
This.

View attachment 657889

Unfortunately Tapatalk won't go any further than this (and I still get notifications if the various morons on my ignore list quote or tag me, and their posts show up when others quote them, which I think is Tapatalk and not HBT itself, but I never use this forum on a computer) but it does make browsing much quieter.

Last edited:
This is well-thought-out and written. I'm having a little bit of a hard time wrapping my head around the whole beef analogy. I don't think it's that complicated. According to this link there are something like a 100 different styles that people could enter into NHC, If I'm reading this correctly. I personally dont want to make a sweeping statement about what "beer" is or isnt, and or judge others enjoyment of beer based on whether they like one style or 100. So what beer style does someone have to like to be qualified as enjoying beer and moreso who put you in charge of that decision. Thats my point.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/from-the-director/2018-national-homebrew-competition-styles/

Okay, let's look at it from a different angle.

I'm one of those people who doesn't consider myself to have a "sweet tooth". Generally cakes and pastries don't interest me much. Occasionally I'm happy to eat a donut or something sweet, but unlike many, I don't crave sweets.

The few sweets I really like aren't particularly sweet. I like dark chocolate, which is bitter. I like tiramisu, which is rich but not particularly sweet.

The "sweets" I like are exceptions to the general category of "sweets". In fact, usually what defines them is that they are outliers to the general category of "sweets". That's the point. If the only beers someone likes are the vast outliers to the general defining characteristics of "beer", then I consider them to like those drinks, but not to be a beer lover.

FYI for me, none of this has anything to do with hazies. Because hazies are undeniably beer. I just don't think they fit as IPAs.

There is this wonderful ignore user function on forums. Makes browsing less annoying.
This is supposed to be light hearted banter...
This.

View attachment 657889

It seems kind of mean to openly discuss blocking somebody or putting them on the ignore list.

They have just as much right to post here as you do. So if you don't like their opinion, do your block thing and keep it to yourself. If too many people quote that person and it bothers you maybe you should block them too or or avoid the the thread altogether.

BTW - Some etiquette might be to PM the other person this bit of advice.

Cheers! [emoji482]

Last edited:

I'm one of those people who doesn't consider myself to have a "sweet tooth". Generally cakes and pastries don't interest me much. Occasionally I'm happy to eat a donut or something sweet, but unlike many, I don't crave sweets.

The few sweets I really like aren't particularly sweet. I like dark chocolate, which is bitter. I like tiramisu, which is rich but not particularly sweet.

The "sweets" I like are exceptions to the general category of "sweets". In fact, usually what defines them is that they are outliers to the general category of "sweets". That's the point. If the only beers someone likes are the vast outliers to the general defining characteristics of "beer", then I consider them to like those drinks, but not to be a beer lover.

FYI for me, none of this has anything to do with hazies. Because hazies are undeniably beer. I just don't think they fit as IPAs.
Excellent! I can surely understand parts of that example. But consider my fil. He only drinks amstel light. Does he like beer? My sil only drinks bud light, does she like beer? They drink plenty of it. My buddy only drinks ipa, does he like beer? Which outlier in the 100 styles like your sweets scenario does someone have to only drink to make your point? Are you going to say that someone who only drinks a 12er of bud light a day doesn't like beer or is it glitter beer? At some point perhaps an opinion and or judgement is being made about someones likes or dislikes based on ones own schema and metacognition with a twist of perhaps superiority. There are plenty of superiority type comments in this thread. Anyways, I would prefer to not do that.

I’m a beer geek. I’ll try any beer. Once. If I don’t like it I won’t drink it again. But, I won’t jump on the Interwebz to dump on that beer, because I know that for every beer drinker out there who might agree with me there might be 3, or 6, or 27 folks who’ll proclaim that beer their very favorite and they’d drink it every day and 3 times on Sunday.

I have my opinions on what constitutes “good” beer but, unless someone specifically asks me what I like and dislike, who cares?

I’m a beer geek. I’ll try any beer. Once. If I don’t like it I won’t drink it again. But, I won’t jump on the Interwebz to dump on that beer, because I know that for every beer drinker out there who might agree with me there might be 3, or 6, or 27 folks who’ll proclaim that beer their very favorite and they’d drink it every day and 3 times on Sunday.

I have my opinions on what constitutes “good” beer but, unless someone specifically asks me what I like and dislike, who cares?
There's a difference between a beer geek and a beer snob. While both like beer, the snob is judgemental about what others drink.

There's a difference between a beer geek and a beer snob. While both like beer, the snob is judgemental about what others drink.
Very true. In addition, beer snobs usually don’t know jack schitt about beer, which makes them especially entertaining to beer geeks. :cool:

Haha, I thought the same thing. The first rule of ignore club is you dont talk about ignore club. Second rule of ignore club is you dont talk about ignore club. Lol but its not even a rule anyways because its so obvious (said in my russian kermit the frog voice)

This is...

Hard seltzers are great. You can drink 12 in an evening, not get full, get extremely drunk, stay hydrated, and not get a hangover the next day. At least that’s my experience.

To be fair, that's a good point and I had not considered those advantages. Learn something every day!

Hard seltzers are great. You can drink 12 in an evening, not get full, get extremely drunk, stay hydrated, and not get a hangover the next day. At least that’s my experience.
I know you that's your experience. So tell me this.

1) Chemically speaking, how do you think the body differentiates hard seltzer and beer to say that your hydration is different in the morning?

2) Personally, I don't get all that full on beer, I can belch and piss as needed. No more than if I was drinking seltzer water. Unless you actually tire of the beer taste as the night goes on. Kind of like eating something that's really rich like some sweet dessert cake.

3) I bet you drink enough frequently to get used to not being hungover after 12 drinks or you get 8-10 hours of sleep. I say that since I know I can drink several and not be hungover. Especially if I try to watch the clock and cut myself off at certain time. - It works. - Then I again, I practice regularly.... LoL.....I'm not killing 12rs every night either. You need time to get the alcohol out of your system or you're still intoxicated in the morning and you're just fooling yourself as to how you feel.

Excellent! I can surely understand parts of that example. But consider my fil. He only drinks amstel light. Does he like beer? My sil only drinks bud light, does she like beer? They drink plenty of it. My buddy only drinks ipa, does he like beer? Which outlier in the 100 styles like your sweets scenario does someone have to only drink to make your point? Are you going to say that someone who only drinks a 12er of bud light a day doesn't like beer or is it glitter beer? At some point perhaps an opinion and or judgement is being made about someones likes or dislikes based on ones own schema and metacognition with a twist of perhaps superiority. There are plenty of superiority type comments in this thread. Anyways, I would prefer to not do that.

To quote Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."

If someone claims to have a sweet tooth but regularly eschews cupcakes and sugar cookies but goes crazy for 85% cacao dark chocolate, I call BS on their sweet tooth.

If someone claims to like beer because they like Framboise or shandy, or even if they only beer they'll drink is ice-cold Coors Light (which is damn near water in flavor) when it's the only alcohol available, I don't really consider them someone who likes beer.

This is supposed to be light hearted banter...It seems kind of mean to openly discuss blocking somebody or putting them on the ignore list.

They have just as much right to post here as you do. So if you don't like their opinion, do your block thing and keep it to yourself. If too many people quote that person and it bothers you maybe you should block them too or or avoid the the thread altogether.

BTW - Some etiquette might be to PM the other person this bit of advice.

Cheers! [emoji482]

Perhaps you have not been observing the poster in question long enough. He has a long reputation of trolling perfectly good discussions with useless information. It's a shame, because we should be focusing on MAKING IPA CLEAR AGAIN!

Perhaps you have not been observing the poster in question long enough. He has a long reputation of trolling perfectly good discussions with useless information. It's a shame, because we should be focusing on MAKING IPA CLEAR AGAIN!
Regardless of that, what I said is true and it's the proper way to handle this. You can also report the post if it's what you say. The mods can handle it as they see fit.

FTR - I like the traditional style. I'm ok with the murky juice bombs. I just don't like them sharing the pale ale moniker.

Regardless of that, what I said is true and it's the proper way to handle this. You can also report the post if it's what you say. The mods can handle it as they see fit.

FTR - I like the traditional style. I'm ok with the murky juice bombs. I just don't like them sharing the pale ale moniker.
Had a couple of hazy bitter/citrus bombs lately. No complaints. If choosing between more bitter or more clear, I'd pick bitter. I have OJ and vodka in the fridge.

Perhaps [people] have not been observing the poster in question long enough. He has a long reputation of trolling perfectly good discussions with useless information. It's a shame, because we should be focusing on ...

People notice. Some say something in private. A few say something in public.

Eventually, they are likely to stop following the topic, or the poster, or the forum (for example: Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling), or the web site.

Festivus! Time for airing of the grievances, wait I already did that. What come next. How this, happy festivakwanzchristmakah.

Back