Maintaining proper carbonation levels in keg overtime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kasrkin

Reaction score
Hey guys, there is a big beer festival coming up and I wanted to have at least 3 kegs ready to go for our home brew club booth, and I wanted to step my brews out over the next few weeks.

my question is this, how do you maintain the proper level of carbonation in a keg over the months (after it has been properly carbonated), I assume if you're not drinking from it you could just charge the keg with the proper psi for that style of beer and just leave it. Is this an accurate way of thinking or is there a chance of the beer going flat? I'm relatively new to kegging so this question might be a little green, either way any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Thnk you for your timd

Assuming a keg holds pressure, once the beer within has reached the desired carbonation level the whole thing becomes a big can of beer. And just like a can, as long as the keg doesn't leak it will stay carbed pretty much forever.

If you had the cold space, I'd get the kegs chilled down to serving temperature and put them on CO2 for the duration. I actually have a Craig's List fridge dedicated to carbing/cold conditioning kegs as it extends my pipeline a good two to three weeks. Failing that you can still carb the brews to your desired level at any temperature, you just need the correct pressure to hit the same result as cold-carbing...

Cheers!

Excellent, thanks for the advice! I would have hated to show up to the event with flat beer!

You may want to occasionally check on the kegs to make sure none of them have a slow leak. A neat investment is to put a pressure gauge on an extra gas disconnect and then you can spot check kegs that are sitting around to make sure they're still at the same carb level you are expecting.

Back