Maibock Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottMathsonPro

Reaction score
I did a Maibock brew tonight and set it in the fermenter. It is my second brew. I am just wondering how long I should lager or age this particular German style beer for?

fermentation process took off like a rocket and is well under way today in 24 hours.

Here is overall recipe:

1/2 lb two row roasted and cracked into 30 min steep (150 degrees F)
10 lbs of golden light malt
1 oz. of Mt Hoods for boiling
Another 1/2 oz. of Mt Hood after 30 minute boil
Finally 1 oz. of Czech Saaz for final 15 minutes.

German Lager yeast (Saflager W 34/70)

There is a strong smell bubbling out of blow off tube, it bites on the nose when you get close. I can't quite place the smell, but am slightly worried. The smell resembles the Maibock favors and notes obviously, but is very harsh like pure alcohol or maybe even sulfur!? I probably just need to relax. The blowoff is HUGE by the way. A lot bigger than past brews, very rapid and foamy.

What are your fermentation temps? I'm just getting into lagers (only 3 batches so far), and while 34/70 fermented faster than I thought (1.053 to D-rest in about 7 days), all my fermentations thus far have been pretty tame. If you're getting a blow-off, you might be fermenting too warm.

As for smells, my name isn't Frankie, but I'd say relax. There's a reason you need to lager these beers. There's all manner of nastiness that gets taken care of during that time.

I usually ferment in a 60-75 degree Fahrenheit environment.
Alright, thanks!

A lot of the lager yeast are very temperamental out of their recommended range. Think lots of sulfur and fruity esters. Safale's website says 34/70 is recommended between 9C and 15C (48-59F) so this might be the issue with a lot of sulfur. The closer you can keep it to those temps, the cleaner it will smell and taste.

The burning sensation from the airlock is CO2, don't take to big of a inhale or you'll find your eyes burning and yourself gasping. The sulfur should go away after fermentation is over and some lagering at low 30s-40s temps.

Man! I really should have thought this through more as far as lagering and temp control, I really don't have any options to make things hotter or colder in this tiny one bedroom apartment. The outside weather usually determines my inside weather...damn. Lagering is going to take a LONG time and will have to find a cold place.

As far as temperature control goes, what are some good recommendations or ways you do it? I would appreciate hearing any!! Thanks. I am still fairly new to this, but am enjoying every minute. I could lager this at a relatives garage, pick up a fridge or something, too bad I just recently sold my damn mini fridge at my garage sale! Ughhh what was I thinking...

swamp cooler (big tray or pan with water and some 2 liter bottles of ice in it), or maybe some blocks of dry ice, in a dark closet. If you can't get it down to the appropriate temps, get as close as you can. Before I picked up my wine fridge, I had to do this too. I found a 5 lb block of dry ice in a small tub with a little fan did the trick for me, though I was just doing ales. Good luck!

neosapien said:
swamp cooler (big tray or pan with water and some 2 liter bottles of ice in it), or maybe some blocks of dry ice, in a dark closet. If you can't get it down to the appropriate temps, get as close as you can. Before I picked up my wine fridge, I had to do this too. I found a 5 lb block of dry ice in a small tub with a little fan did the trick for me, though I was just doing ales. Good luck!

I should have thought of this, it's seems so simple and logical, yet I'm sure it does great! Thanks man I appreciate the advice.

I just hope I didn't completely f&&k up the brew, as it's been sitting in 65+ temps the past 24 hours. Fermentation is happening rapidly though and I'm cooling down temps now.

ScottMathsonPro said:
I should have thought of this, it's seems so simple and logical, yet I'm sure it does great! Thanks man I appreciate the advice.

The ice bath that I have setup is already taking action! Thanks again. Already down to 58 degrees F.

ScottMathsonPro said:
I just hope I didn't completely f&&k up the brew, as it's been sitting in 65+ temps the past 24 hours.

It's preferable to cool the wort to just under ferment temp and pitch a large amount of yeast. You'll have the latter part taken care of if you harvest the yeast cake from your current batch. Letting the temp rise gradually is fine, but try not to let it fall until after fermentation (and d-rest, if you choose tin conduct one) is complete.

Alright well fermentation went well, and long! It is now all bottled (with tons of help from my girlfriend) and sitting in the fridge. Wish it was ready, ugh the wait is killing me! Hah. When taste testing it straight from the fermenter it tasted like pure alcohol though, pretty wild! And a bit watery as well...oh well. Time will tell!
Cheers

Back