Magnum (1.5L) bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Smith

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience bottling beer into magnum champagne bottles, like 1,5L. I have an idea of using them.
I live in denmark but ordering bottles from anywhere in europe should be fine with me if anyone knows anywhere

Anyone have any experience bottling beer into magnum champagne bottles, like 1,5L. I have an idea of using them.
I live in denmark but ordering bottles from anywhere in europe should be fine with me if anyone knows anywhere
If you're okay with the size, go for it.

I do it all the time from 1.5L to 9L. 1.5L is just a bigger bottle. From 3L to 9L you need a bigger cage and a bigger cork though. I usually make my cages from wire and my LHBS carries the larger corks.

I do it all the time from 1.5L to 9L. 1.5L is just a bigger bottle. From 3L to 9L you need a bigger cage and a bigger cork though. I usually make my cages from wire and my LHBS carries the larger corks.
where do you sauce your bottles? im struggling as my LHBS only stocks up to 750ml

I don't normally sauce the bottles ;) I pick up the 1.5L from beer parties where people bring various commercial beers in them. Anchor X-Mas comes out with them every year. For the bigger ones I have just collected them over the years the same way - attend parties where people are opening them and then ask them for the bottles. Apparently commercial 6L bottles are illegal in the US for some reason, but I still have one.

You could probably get some from a wine festival as these big bottles are much more common in that industry.

They also have names:

A “magnum” is 1.5 liters, or the equivalent of two bottles, and if you double that, you’d have a “double magnum,” at 3 liters. (A 3-liter bottle is also known as a “jeroboam” in Champagne and Burgundy, but in Bordeaux, a jeroboam is 4.5 liters.)

Things get bigger faster after that: a 6-liter bottle is called either an “imperial” or a “methuselah,” a “salmanazar” holds 9 liters (as much wine as a full case of standard bottles), a “balthazar” holds 12 liters and a “nebuchadnezzar” holds 15 liters.

Back