Magnet in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyuwp

Reaction score
Weird one. I use a dime sized rare earth magnet to "hold on" to the stir bar in my yeast starter through the glass while pitching so it doesn't go into the primary with the yeast. Good news is that the stir bar didn't make it in but I did drop the magnet into the primary along with my huge Oktoberfest starter. I tried getting it out but wasn't able to and didn't want to muck around with it too much so I said F it (several beers in by end of long brew day).

I got to thinking, will the magnet impact the yeast at all? I think I'm going to make another attempt to get it out tonight using something metallic on outside of carboy to lift it out. So hopefully it will only be in there 2 days. Just didn't know how the magnet would impact the little guys in there.

I use stir-bars which are Teflon-coated; you can use a large one from the outside of a vessel to guide another smaller one which is inside, like a wand. Better yet, leave it in! It's Teflon, not gonna rot. One warning: do not forget a bar is inside a glass vessel, or you may find it shooting through the side as you disturb it.
You may be able to buy them at some science supply house. Maybe Craigslist???
Oh, they are made in all sorts of shapes, depending on your application. Good luck.

I've never seen anything about it, but I doubt it would effect the yeast

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't worry about it. I can't imagine that it would hurt anything being in there unless it infected the beer. If that's the case then it's too late anyway. If everything looks normal so far then it's probably fine.

-ben

I use stir-bars which are Teflon-coated; you can use a large one from the outside of a vessel to guide another smaller one which is inside, like a wand.

This is ****ing genius.

OP, I suppose it could be okay. It's an un-coated magnet?

Uncoated. Popped lid off of bucket and there is a good head on it. Tried using large socket to guide magnet out. Had it right to top of krausen when it fell back in and I couldn't get it again. Oh well. Fingers crossed no contamination.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I don't think you have to worry about contamination like infection, but I wonder if the magnet is non-toxic.

I don't think you have to worry about contamination like infection, but I wonder if the magnet is non-toxic.

Didn't think about it that way. I just made a concerted effort and got it out. Smells yeasty :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back