Made a starter last week, still viable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikhild59

Reaction score
I planned a brew day , made my starter the night before, then got called to work. Now its been sitting a week or so. What's the best course ? Use it as is? Pitch into another starter? Chuck it?

You should be plenty viable but I have no idea if you have the correct pitching amount without more information. You can use the Mr. Malty calculator and change the production date to see how the viability will drop with time.

I had the same issue two brew sessions ago. I just put the starter in the fridge. When it was time to brew, I pulled it out, poured most of the liquid off, then let it heat up to room temp.

Gave it a good shake and dumped it in the cooled wort. Fermentation took off just like it always does and the beer turned out great.

With little information it is hard to know the reason for the starter.
If you were trying to build up enough yeast for a pitch the viability has gone down a bit in a week but it is probably not anything serious. So it would be fine to chill, decant and pitch.

The yeast didn't die in a week, it's just gone to sleep. Decant, shake it up and pour it in.

erikhild59 said:
What's the best course ? Use it as is? Pitch into another starter? Chuck it?

Best course IMO would be to get a job that won't take you away from important things in life like brewing... :)

Two options. Just decant some of the liquid off the top, swirl it around to suspend yeast, and pitch in.

Or, boil up some more dme, decant off liquid, and dump in to start up reproduction again. I would go with this route but the first one would be fine too.

Back