Made a recipe mistake. Any way to raise bitterness after the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfinger

Reaction score
Did my first all grain batch of pale ale with a buddy this week. Did a ten gallon batch and it went well until we realized that we had doubled everything from a 5 gallon recipe except the hop additions. Basically the batch has a little more than half of the hops the recipe called for. The beer is bubbling away in two fermenters as we speak. I know dry hopping or doing a hop tea will raise the aroma aspect but will it also raise the bitterness at all? If not, I guess it looks like I will have more of a malty ale that I'm sure will be fine anyway but I was curious to know if there are any methods of raising bitterness after the boil...

Thanks much for taking time to read this...

A hop tea should raise the bitterness a bit. I did it once when a beer came out way underhopped, and it made it quite drinkable.

-a.

You could boil some hops in water and add that to the beer. Boil them for 20+ minutes to isomerize the acids.

I have never tried this so I'm not sure how well it would work. But in theory it sounds like it should do the trick.

You could boil some hops in water and add that to the beer. Boil them for 20+ minutes to isomerize the acids.

I have never tried this so I'm not sure how well it would work. But in theory it sounds like it should do the trick.

My experience with doing that has been very bad. It always turns out harsh and vegetal tasting. Using hop extract works far better.

My experience with doing that has been very bad. It always turns out harsh and vegetal tasting. Using hop extract works far better.

Thanks for the responses so far. Denny, I have no experience with hop extract--is that something that is readily available? Would that be added at bottling or using a secondary?

Back