Made 2 batches of beer yesterday, an IPA and Amber 1 very active other isn't ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
So the IPA is bubbling like crazy 1.069 and the Amber 1.053 is krausening but not bubbling at all,, it hasn't been 24 hrs yet. Anything to worry about ? Thanks

I assume by bubbling you mean airlock bubbles...? If so, it just depends on the bucket/lid, some are tighter than others and some let air leak out through the lid instead of the airlock. Since you're getting krausen on the top it's definitely fermenting, you have nothing to worry about, just don't rely on airlock bubbles as a sign of fermentation.

I have one bucket/lid combo that I never get airlock bubbles from, never had a problem with fermentation starting or fully finishing though.

Different yeasts? Different yeast will act differently. If bucket fermenters - leak. If not one is producing more co2 than the other. It doesn't make any difference.

Both us 05,, blowoff tub to cup of water and sanitizer ... maybe it'll pick up soon, I guess I'll know when i get a gravity in a few days ... just don't know where the co2 could be going cause visible krausen has formed , hmmm

Different beers interact differently with differnt grainbills...it's that simple... as is the idea that an airlock is NOT a fermentation gauge... all it is is a vent to release excess co2... and co2 manages to find it's way out of the tiny, non airlock bubbling spaces, no matter what you may believe.. I've been brewing for 10 years, and I can honestly say that I've had plenty of little or no airlock bubbling batches that turned out fine...

there is nothing "typical" in brewing...every fermentation is different, and should not be used to compare one with another...you can't do that.

Just because you may have never had something happen before on your beers, doesn't mean that the yeast are doing anything wrong. It just means that you haven't experienced one of the infinite NORMAL behaviors that living organisms, living wildcards, are capable of.

you can't compare one brew to another. No two fermentations are ever exactly the same.

When we are dealing with living creatures, there is a wild card factor in play..Just like with other animals, including humans...No two behave the same.

You can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...
It just happened to me, I did a 10 gallon batch of my kentucky common...put in two buckets... pitched the same yeast and...

They acted completely differently.. one blew off constantly, the other didn't.... OH WELL....

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....but it was like symbiotic or something...

With living micro-organisms there is always a wildcard factor in play...and yet the yeast rarely lets us down. So it is best just to rdwhahb and trust that they know to what they are doing.

Don't assume the worst with the yeast, realize that they've been making beer since long before our great great great grandfather copped his first buzz from a 40 of mickey's out back of the highschool, so they are the experts.

Yeasts are like teenagers, swmbos, and humans in general, they have their own individual way of doing things.

Best advice I can give you... TRUST that in the 21st century modern yeast will perform EXACTLY as it is intended to do.. the myth that yeast "fails" is 40 years out of date... it really is....

Second best advice is.. Pitch your yeast and walk away for a month, then come back and bottle or keg... don't hover over your fementeres like their babies, and worry about them acting differently than you think they should...

:mug:

Cool thanks! 1st time ever 2 in same day and was surprised by the drastic difference ! Current IPA maybe the most active early ferm I've done and this Amber is least active! Thanks again

Best advice I can give you... TRUST that in the 21st century modern yeast will perform EXACTLY as it is intended to do.. the myth that yeast "fails" is 40 years out of date... it really is....

Second best advice is.. Pitch your yeast and walk away for a month, then come back and bottle or keg... don't hover over your fementeres like their babies, and worry about them acting differently than you think they should...

:mug:

We'll said, these are hard lessons to learn but very true. If you clean and sanitize as you should the yeast will do there job. Give the good wort, they will give you good beer, heck sometimes you.give them bad wort and they still.give you good beer.

Patience is hard in this hobby, build a pipeline, keep it going, and it will reward you.

Back