Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octang

Reaction score
I am making a Vanilla Milk Stout and I need to use some vanilla beans. I found a store nearby that sells Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla beans. Are these a good option to use? Or is there a particular type of vanilla bean that should be used instead?

Those are probably the most popular ice cream vanilla beans. There's also Tahitians , which are more floral/aromatic, and are used in fragrances I believe. And then Mexicans, which are spicy. Vanilla bean connoisseurs will argue the merits of these three.

In short, they're fine for beer.

Vanilla beans are expensive. It pays to shop the price a little bit. I bought 2 beans recently (for a chocolate stout) and paid about $8. Later I saw 1 oz (about 6 -7 beans) at my lhbs for $8! :( The moral of the story is check with your lhbs first!

I actually just bought the same type of beans from a lhbs. they were like 4 bucks for 2 of them and I used them in a vanilla bourbon stout so I'm just as anxious to see how they work out.

When cooking with vanilla beans, I always slice them the long way and drag the blade along the now open length. Your knife will be coated with little black bits. That's the flavorful bits. They and the bean go into the pot.

That's how I do Ice cream and Creme Brulee

Back