Making Pure Vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am going to be making some Vanilla. I bought a pound of New Guinea grade C beans for extract. My alcohol would be raw 120-130 proof rum and then proof down to 60 or 70 proof after it has been soaking for 4-5 months. I was also considering a 2X maceration meaning using 2X the recommended Vanilla beans. Has anyone done anything like this? If so what was the experience or outcome like? Anything you would change or do different? What say you my Vanilla making friends?

Cheers
Jay

Your call, of course, but if you are making vanilla extract, presumably you don't want the flavors of the alcohol to swamp the flavors of the vanilla. In my opinion, the better distillate to use would be vodka rather than rum. I just began macerating about 10 beans I halved lengthwise and then split and scraped out the seeds adding everything to 400 ml of 70 % abv (140 p) "vodka" made from sweet whey wine I make from my cheese making. Of course, if you are planning on using the vanilla extract with rum or rum cocktails that's another story. We use the extract for baking.

I make bourbon vanilla for all our baking needs. 10 or so Grade B beans x-cut into 1/2" pieces. Into a pint mason jar filled with decent bourbon. It's sitting next to my coffee beans which reminds me to give it a quick shake every few weeks. After the first few shakes, the liquid is thick with free-floating seeds.

Latest posts

Back