Münchener Dunkel Ale or India Dunkel Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kold Brygg

Reaction score
This ain't a style, but still assumes that someone has tried to make a Dunkel Ale or IDA with Munich Dunkel as the base.

The Germans have come up with more hops targeting Pale Ales and IPA. It will hardly surprise anyone if there are BJCP definitions of German IPA and pale ale in a couple of years.

Anyway, anyone want to share experiences of using Munich in a Dunkel Ale or an India Dunkel Ale?

Just mix the grist of a classic Munich Dunkel with the hopsschedule and yeast of a Amber/Red Ale or Red IPA?

I often ferment lager recipes with Bry-97, an Ale yeast.

I recall a Charlie Bamforth interview where he said he was touring a brewery and tasting their portfolio including various lagers and ales. He asked how many yeast strains they employ. They answered “ Just the one”.

Yeah Bry-97 is quite similar to US-05. And both could be successfully used to make "ale-lagers". But that wasn't my point.

I've quickly put together a recipe that could be a Münchner India Dunkel Ale.

100% Munich Dark

K-97 which is a neutral top yeast. Alternatively US-05 or S-04.

German Hops
@60 Magnum to 25 IBU
@20 Mandarina Bavaria to 10 IBU
@5 Mandarina Bavaria to 5 IBU
@WP30 Mandarina Bavaria / Yellow Sub / Ariana 1 g/l
@DH Mandarina Bavaria / Yellow Sub / Ariana 1.5 g/l

I have not thought if the hop fits together. This is just an example of a recipe that I hope provides an explanation of which direction I am thinking when I write India Dunkel Ale.

If anyone used Brewfather. Here's a link.
https://share.brewfather.app/GAzJoLGsCdRpRJ

When I've used 100% Munich I've ended up with something too rich and not fully attenuated, and when I've used a lot of dark Munich it started moving toward astringent. If it were my beer, I'd try ~50% Munich, ~50% Pilsner, and a touch of chocolate. But it's not my beer.

Call me narrow-minded, but I think there's a reason it is hardly being done. Darker malts and hops just don't go well together. Imho there's already too much of a clash between malt and hops in IPA.

"Lobsters? Delicious! Crème brulé? Delicious! Why isn't everybody making lobster crème brulé?!"

But yeah, I'm willing to stand corrected and be amazed. (Although likely not by a beer featuring Mandarina Bavaria.)

Back