Low temp fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindhop

Reaction score
I Have been brewing a couple of IPA's using California Ale Yeast. Usually my fermenting temps are around 68 to 70. During the col months my temps have been around 62 to 64. What will the lower temperatures do to the flavor? (i.e. enzymes and the flavors they produce)

Thanks for the help!

those temps are fine for most ale yeast. i ferment most ales between 60-64. the lower temps may produce a cleaner beer by limiting esters and such. the strain you're using is very nice at low temps, it'll come across cleaner with maybe a hint of peach/apricot.

There's a huge dependency on the yeast strain being used as to whether it will tolerate high - or low - temperatures without producing flavors you might not appreciate in your brew. Eg: Some ale yeasts actually go all estery when run at too low a temperature range...

Cheers!

IMO WLP001 is fantastic fermented at lower temps 60-64 leaves a very clean flavor.

Agreed with the above. California Ale yeast is fantastic around the 62-65* range. It's clean from 65-68, but it's cleaner when fermented a little cooler. Your ferment will take a day or too longer at the cooler temps, but it works out very well.

Back