Low pressure v high pressure propane selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianw58

Reaction score
Ok, I've spent the weekend searching and pouring over the site looking for answers. I haven't foundthe answers to my specific questions (although I have had a heck of an education).

I am about to build my brew rig. It will be a single tier stand. I have two 15 gallons kettles for the HLT & BK. I'm using a chest cooler for my Mash Tun.

I do not intend to automate the system, at least at first. I want to manually control the propane burners and will be building a manifold to supply the gas at be input and use needle valves to control flow to the two burners. With the myriad if burners to choose from, my head s about to explode.

Questions:

What are the benefits of low pressure v high pressure propane?

What burner configuration would you recommend? Banjo? Multi tip? Jet style?

Thanks for your input!

The only advantage low pressure propane has is lower cost to implement automation (which pretty much comes down to legitimate high pressure gas valves being about 4x $ vs low pressure).

As for burners, imo if you're even thinking about possible automation, the BG-14 burner is the one to buy...

Cheers!

Back