Low pressure regulator and the bg14- poor performance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I finally got my single tier rims system up and running. The control system does what it's supposed to and I can't wait to use it. My only complaint is it really seems like the LP regulator doesn't really feed enough gas to the burner. I have all the right equipment including orifice drilled for LP. It's got a healthy flame, but the flames are about an inch tall and are nearly silent. Everything is adjusted to max gas flow (on regulator and solenoid valve).

Maybe I am just used to the high pressure high btu setup I used to have. Could any other LP/BG14 users please let me know how long it takes to reach boil or mash temps a 5 or 10 gallon batch?

The bg14 is a high pressure banjo burner. It requires a high pressure regulator, usually red and 30 psi

Bellybuster just Google Brutus 10 BG14. Anyway I'm getting to boil on 6.5 gallons of liquid in about 60 minutes. Not exactly stellar.

Post a pic of your set up so we can see what you are working with.

I have the same burners but with the high pressure regulator. The high pressure reg would make the biggest difference but you really can't utilize all 30 psi, the flame will blow itself out. However there are other things you can do for more efficiency but a bit more info is needed.

Are you brewing outside in the wind or in a garage?
What is the distance between your kettle and burner?
What is the kettle size and volume of beer you are brewing?

See the pot skirt link in my signature for decreasing your boil times.

Latest posts

Back