HELP!! Duotight in-line regulator setup issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubatech

Reaction score
Guys, I need help with setting up my Duotight digital in-line regulator since there was no instruction and I haven't been able to find anything specific online.

I recently purchased a Duotight in-line regulator to go in my keezer. I took out the analog guage and replaced it with the digital version. No problems there. The line from my secondary is running in the correct direction as well. I am trying to set it to push a kegged wine out at 1 or 2 psi but can't seem to get that to happen. I can't seem to find step by step instructions on how to make that happen.

Here are my steps so far:
1. Keg has no pressure
2. Opened CO2 tank and set secondary to 20 psi (just a random number)
3. Attached quick disconnect to keg and turned on digital in-line reg (yellow knob is turned all the way to the right, in as far as it can go).
4. Opened secondary and I can hear gas going into the keg and digital guage reads 20 psi (thought the knob should keep gas from entering the keg in that position?).
5. When I turn the knob to the left (out) nothing really happens. Pressure doesn't go down to 1 or 2 psi. Doesn't move at all.
6. Even tried this in reverse with the knob starting in the far left position and turning right. It's pretty obvious that doesn't and shouldn't work.

Just can't seem to figure out how to get the digital reg from a high pressure to a lower serving pressure without having to change the secondary that is sitting at 20 psi.

Maybe someone has the same setup or experience using these things......or maybe I got a bad regulator ( I've read that does happen).

Thanks for any help you can give.

5. When I turn the knob to the left (out) nothing really happens. Pressure doesn't go down to 1 or 2 psi. Doesn't move at all.

Just can't seem to figure out how to get the digital reg from a high pressure to a lower serving pressure without having to change the secondary that is sitting at 20 psi.
Did you bleed the pressure from the downstream side after you lowered the setting?

I'm not sure what that means. Kinda dumb with the lingo and terms.

Your secondary regulator probably needs to be fed with a certain minimum pressure (coming from the primary regulator) for it to work. A working input pressure of 30-60 psi for secondary regs is common, IIRC.

Took it apart and reseated the diaphragm. After looking in the end while pushing on the diaphragm, it appears that twisting the knob to the right (tightening it) opens the line letting more gas through.

So after bleeding everything and resetting, I started again with the knob completely out, barely hanging on. I opened the secondary and turned on the reg. It was at 0 so I slowly.....just barely turned the knob to the right and it slowly started letting gas into the keg. It got to 1 psi and eventually to 4. Turning back left doesn't do anything unless I release the keg pressure and start over. Just seems really sensitive. I thought I was getting something that would be easy to dial in and forget.

it appears that twisting the knob to the right (tightening it) opens the line letting more gas through.
That's exactly how regulators work! Tightening the screw (clockwise) raises the output pressure.

Turning back left doesn't do anything unless I release the keg pressure and start over.
That's the way to do it, letting the gas out to drop the pressure to the reduced regulator setting.

I thought I was getting something that would be easy to dial in and forget.
Once it's set to your dispensing pressure, it will keep it at that.

Mind, regulators have an optimal operating range. Adjusting for the lower end of the pressure is always very touchy, a 1/4 turn can make a big difference there. If your (secondary) reg is designed to operate at an output of 5-20 psi, setting it anywhere in the 0-5 range will always be very sensitive. 1-2 psi is a very low pressure to operate at, and may be hard for any regulator to control, unless it's specially built for that.

I understand you don't want to carbonate the wine hence the low pressure setting. Because of that low pressure, it will also merely drizzle out the faucet.

Last edited:
Thanks. It's just annoying to have to turn the secondary off and on over a time period. Maybe it won't be an issue.

It's just annoying to have to turn the secondary off and on over a time period.
Not necessarily. Once it's set to the intended (output) pressure, which is very low in your case, it should retain that.

Important:
Make sure your keg is well sealed!

Some (corny) kegs may not seal at very low pressures, the lid seals being the usual culprit. That will lead to CO2 seeping out silently, emptying your tank slowly over time. Use a good, undamaged o-ring, preferably not silicone as it's very oxygen permeable, Buna-N is better. Use ample keg lube to help it seat and seal. You may need to help seat the lid at a higher pressure, 30-40 psi. Then vent the excess through the PRV, and reduce it to your low dispensing pressure of 1-2 psi.

6. Even tried this in reverse with the knob starting in the far left position and turning right. It's pretty obvious that doesn't and shouldn't work.
That is the proper way to set a regulator. There's usually quite a bit of empty slack in the beginning when you start to turn to knob. As soon as you start to feel some resistance, output pressure start to rise, and you may arrive at 1-2 psi within a 1/8-1/4 turn.

Once this works for you, maybe start looking for a precision regulator that operates at such low output pressures. They may be pricey, though.

Back