Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aiko

Reaction score
Tried a suggestion from HBT and had interesting results.

I asked in a earlier post about getting the color of German Hefe a little lighter, and a couple of people suggested that I add 1/2 of the DME at the start of the boil and then with 20min left, add the remaining.

This is like my 5th batch of Hefe, and had no problems until I did this. When the wort was cooled and topped to 5gal, the OG was at 1.044 (usually at 1.052). My FG was good before I racked to the bottles. Don't know how it will taste but smelled good.
Anyone know why my OG would be short?
Thanks.

Virtually impossible to miss your OG on an extract batch, unless you added too much water, or not enough extract.

More likely, you didn't mix the wort and the top-off water well enough before you measured the OG.

what he said.

adding DME late in the boil has no effect on OG, only on color and hop utilization.

Bike N Brew said:
Virtually impossible to miss your OG on an extract batch, unless you added too much water, or not enough extract.

More likely, you didn't mix the wort and the top-off water well enough before you measured the OG.

Tasted just fine....
Now that you mentioned it, I dont think I gave it a good mix before I took the reading. Thanks for the input.

Back