Low OG, maybe by adding water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex4mula

Reaction score
Brewed this Blue Moon clone extract recipe. This is my 3rd brew and prior ones came out great (2) and current fermenting process went fine. On this one the expected OG is 1.050 and I got 1.032. I started with 6.5 gallon boil. I did two things different this time. At the last 5 min additions I forgot to add the marmalade. So I quickly re-started the boil, added the marmalade and boiled like 3 min. more. Then when I transferred to carboy I got about 4.5 gallons. So I added another 1/2 gallon. I tried to shake as much as I could and then took sample for OG. I think I needed to take OG sample before adding the water. But will 1/2 gallon would impact that much? Thanks.
BM Recipie.JPG

You got a bad measurement. With 5 lbs of LME in 5 gallons you will get 1.036. You have another 3 points from the sugar, and additional points from the grains depending on how the mash went.

I don't know how well the grains would have mashed, there is not much diastatic power in there. Munich malt is only 50 Linter, and there is nothing in the rest. You will have some sugars from the mash, but may not get everything the recipe predicts.

At 5 gallons I would guess you would be looking at 1.045/1.046.

A common problem with extract beers is that the sugars don't fully mix, and there are often reports of low readings when taking a sample from the top .... and occasionally reports of high readings when the sample is taken from the bottom thru a spigot.

Just assume you got what the recipe says and think no more about it.

Agree likely a mixing issue as suggested above. I've done two identical batches at once, with different hops, and had one match OG calculation and the other have an OG similar to the calculated FG.

Not being fully mixed isn't ideal but in a couple days you could see the darker layer at bottom was gone and all was evenly diluted. Turned out fine.

FYI - I've just about given up on taking OG, as other than this one mistake when distracted by a buddy, I always am within .001 of calculated OG with extract brews, so why bother.

I don't take OG anymore. If you know the sugars that went in, you can calculate the approximate OG, and not get worried by a bad measurement. Don't worry about poorly mixed wort, the yeast will find the sugars.

You say you have a refractometer. The good news is that when the beer is done, if you take both an hydrometer and a refractometer reading, you can use on-line calculators to determine your OG. If you have a problem figuring out how to do that, post the data here and someone should help you out.

Thanks all. I have done 4 extract brews like this one. My OG was spot on in one and +/- .005 in the other two. This is the first one way off. But I am learning. Fermentation looks good and and started quickly and aggressive. Last picture below was yesterday and I just threw in a Tilt hydrometer I just got for valentines :-D It is reading 1.006. Maybe ferm is done already.

y.JPG
y2.jpg

Was the wort still warm when you took your OG reading? Warm/hot liquids will have a lower OG compared to the 66ish F that your hydrometer is calibrated to. There are calculators out there that will correct it down for you.

Was the wort still warm when you took your OG reading? Warm/hot liquids will have a lower OG compared to the 66ish F that your hydrometer is calibrated to. There are calculators out there that will correct it down for you.

No. Wort was already chilled to around 66°F. Tks

I think I needed to take OG sample before adding the water.

The gravity after adding the water is your actual OG. But you could have used a reading before adding water, and calculated the OG from that. Then you wouldn't have the incomplete mixing problem to worry about. Just the same, I agree with the others - with extract you don't need to take an OG reading.

Tilt is reading now 1.003. That is very low. Top of beer is starting to clear a little. 6 days fermenting. Should I cold crash and keg now?

bm333.JPG

Tilt is reading now 1.003. That is very low. Top of beer is starting to clear a little. 6 days fermenting. Should I cold crash and keg now?

Simple answer: NO.

Slightly more complicated answer: The yeast may not be done with eliminating off flavors. What's your rush? The beer will taste so much better if you leave it for another week.

Simple answer: NO.

Slightly more complicated answer: The yeast may not be done with eliminating off flavors. What's your rush? The beer will taste so much better if you leave it for another week.

Yeah I agree. Will leave it alone for one more week. Thanks

Also have you taken a reading of your hydrometer in just water recently? It could be the paper inside had shifted some so as to mess up your reading. Mine is ~.08 off after about 5 years now, it has just slowly shifted over time from when I first got it.

Also have you taken a reading of your hydrometer in just water recently? It could be the paper inside had shifted some so as to mess up your reading. Mine is ~.08 off after about 5 years now, it has just slowly shifted over time from when I first got it.

Thanks. The glass one is 2 month old. Last time I checked it was good. The Tilt is 1.000 spot on in water. It stopped dropping at 1.002 last three days. Next Friday I'm keging this one because I want to use the Tilt in my new amber ale brew on Saturday.

I would double check that 1.002 Tilt with a hydrometer reading. That is quite low.

Having done several extract batches myself I can attest that sugar mixing is a real measurement bugaboo; I think some mixing is likely your issue with OG.

From personal experience, for a long time I didn't bother with gravity readings, then decided I was going to start being a bit more scientific to be able to replicate results. First batch I took an OG reading was 1.028. Figured oh well it's made now and carried on through the fermentation process etc. A month later when I started finally drinking it (didn't bother with an FG, since the OG was so low figured what was the point) after a few glasses, I realized either I'd become a light weight or my hydrometer lied. Since then, I've normally recorded the OG and FG readings... but more as a curiosity then an actual concern.

Extract blueberry pale ale recipe I'd cobbled together.

From personal experience, for a long time I didn't bother with gravity readings, then decided I was going to start being a bit more scientific to be able to replicate results. First batch I took an OG reading was 1.028. Figured oh well it's made now and carried on through the fermentation process etc. A month later when I started finally drinking it (didn't bother with an FG, since the OG was so low figured what was the point) after a few glasses, I realized either I'd become a light weight or my hydrometer lied. Since then, I've normally recorded the OG and FG readings... but more as a curiosity then an actual concern.

Extract blueberry pale ale recipe I'd cobbled together.

When making an extract batch where top off water is added, the best way to determine the OG is by doing math. The extract will contain a specific amount of sugar and when mixed with an accurately measured amount of water will get you a specific OG. It is much more difficult to mix the concentrated wort with the top off water than most people will believe and taking a hydrometer reading will usually give your erroneous results.

If you want to see an example of this, take a clear glass container, probably a drinking tumbler. Pour in 1/4 cup of honey, preferrably a darker honey. Syrup will also work if you don't have honey. Now pour in 1/2 cup of water. This will be a simulation of top off water. See how they mix? Now take a toothpick and try to mix them. This simulates a spoon in a 5 gallon batch of beer. Did you get the honey or syrup to mix well?

Back