Low mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike20793

Reaction score
I just mashed in and my strike water was too low of a temp. When I addded the grain the temp dropped to 148 and it took me 15 minutes to get it up to temp. Did I mess up really bad??

No, that's at the low end of the mash temp range but I wouldn't say you messed up "bad" or anything. Raising the temp was a good idea, and it will continue conversion. We learn from our mistakes and adjust accordingly. Mash temp is one of the hardest things to get right, especially if you live in a climate that gets really hot and really cold.

I was just worried that I took too long to raise the temperature. I didn't have any heated water on hand. Well I'm brewing again tomorrow, so I won't make the same mistake again.

well I just hit 1.042 on my OG. The range for this red ale is 1.042-1.046. Does this mean I am on the low end of efficiency?

Yeah but if that's what you were expecting, it's not a bad thing. Also, don't forget to adjust for temperature. It doesn't add much to the gravity reading, but it could put you up a little higher in actual gravity if you were taking readings in hot temperatures.

I already adjusted for temp. I also collected closer to 7 gallons instead of 6.5 for the boil. I'm sure that is having an effect on the OG. Should I boil for longer to reduce the volume or stick with the 60 minute boil? Its for my fiance so a lil low efficiency isn't a bad thing =].

Back