Low Efficiency with New Equipment - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorterIV

Reaction score
I recently purchased the top tier system and two boilermakers to replace my old haphazard cooler system. Well, after having conducted two batches I am encountering 60-62% efficiency.

The first run after 45 minutes I tried to bump the heat up on the MT and got a little aggresive with it. So, I chalked that experience up to having denatured some of the enzymes.

On the second batch, however, everything went fine. I checked my ph and it was right in the low 5's and after an hour I did an iodine test and there was no black.

In my old system using my same mill with the same settings I was getting 75-80% efficiency. I actually had the opposite problem of overshooting gravity on recipes. Now, I am way under.

Has anyone else experienced this with the Blichmann? Could it be the false bottom? The runnings are really clear when I vorlauf.

Any help is appreciated.

I recently purchased the top tier system and two boilermakers to replace my old haphazard cooler system. Well, after having conducted two batches I am encountering 60-62% efficiency.

The first run after 45 minutes I tried to bump the heat up on the MT and got a little aggresive with it. So, I chalked that experience up to having denatured some of the enzymes.

On the second batch, however, everything went fine. I checked my ph and it was right in the low 5's and after an hour I did an iodine test and there was no black.

In my old system using my same mill with the same settings I was getting 75-80% efficiency. I actually had the opposite problem of overshooting gravity on recipes. Now, I am way under.

Has anyone else experienced this with the Blichmann? Could it be the false bottom? The runnings are really clear when I vorlauf.

Any help is appreciated.

More than likely, you are having some channeling problems which is affecting your efficiency. Here's my fix. Immediately prior to starting your ramp up for the mashout, stir the grain bed thoroughly, then proceed to mashout. Immediately prior to the sparge, stop and stir well once more. Slowly circulate the wort for 5-10 minutes until the wort runs clear then begin your sparge and run off. You should see a substantial jump in your efficiency and it will probably come in at about 80% or more.

That sounds a little like batch sparging (which I have only done once or twice). Would it help if I just went straight to batch sparging?

That sounds a little like batch sparging (which I have only done once or twice). Would it help if I just went straight to batch sparging?

Not at all. You will still be fly sparging as usual. The only change would be the additional stirring to loosen up the grain bed prior to starting the runoff. The idea is to minimize channeling. Oh, and sparge very slowly, of course. IMO, stirring the grain bed is the key. There's nothing wrong with batch sparging, but all else being equal, it will tend to be inherently less efficient. There are no guarantees with either method and they both work. Channeling problems are more common than one might think. I think this is because it is difficult to detect. Out of sight, out of mind kind of thing I suppose.

Back