Low Carbonation Kegging Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
This came to my attention the other day when some friends and I were doing some side by side comparisons with my homebrew and some commercial examples. Both my friend I noticed that my beer was noticeably less carbonated than the commercial ones (all stouts). I carb by setting it at 30psi for 24 hours, then back it down to serving pressure for 2 weeks (13 psi @ 38F) which puts it just over 2.6 volumes of CO2. I have 10' lines and get the correct amount of foam when I pour, but looking in the poured glass of beer I don't see a lot of bubbles. There are some, but not near as much as a poured bottle of beer. Honestly I'm at a loss as to where my problem lies, any help is appreciated. The only thing I can think of is the regulator is reading incorrectly.

.....for 2 weeks (13 psi @ 38F) which puts it just over 2.6 volumes of CO2. I have 10' lines and get the correct amount of foam when I pour,....... The only thing I can think of is the regulator is reading incorrectly.
The regulator accuracy could be the problem. Pressure gauges do lose accuracy, especially cheaply made ones. The gauges sold with homebrewer class regulators are often of the cheaper type. A 30psi max regulator will generally provide more accurate reading/setting than a 60 or higher. I assume you are leaving gas on all the time?

If you want more carb, carb it higher. The charts are nice to get you in the ball park, but they're more theoretical than practical. Regardless of what the charts say, carb to what you like and what your system will tolerate without excessive foaming.

Back