Low carbonation in solution in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemoose

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have always had pretty good carbonation in the kegs. The last five have poured with a good head, but very little co2 in solution. They taste flat. Not sure what to do. I have cleaned the entire beverage line system and taps.
Plenty of co2 in the tank.
Correct pressure
Kegs have been on co2 for weeks

What am I missing? I will definitely take a lot of care when I keg the next beer to make sure the keg parts are all super clean.

How new are your o-rings? Have you sprayed some star-san or soapy water around all of the connections and the keg lid to make sure that you don't have any leaks? I've heard that even a tiny leak can keep a keg from carbing up. Also, is the beer coming out the right temperature? Temp has a huge effect on the amount of CO2 that will go into solution at a given pressure.

Good luck!

Low pressure gauge not reading correctly, perhaps?
Did the tank fall over back when this all started?

A leak that's so small as to not affect the low pressure gauge is unlikely to affect carbonation...

Cheers!

Plenty of co2 in the kegs. No leaks there. Temp is not an issue either. Sitting at 45 degrees. Double checked with a thermometer.

The tank has not been damaged. When I express co2 from the keg, I can hear co2 going back in. It has a nice frothy head, great lacing in the glass. Just not much in solution.
I'm thinking there may be something taking it out of solution during the pour?

Take an honest picture of a typical pour.

My benchmark is 12 ounces of beer poured (metered, so it's not guesswork) with a scant two finger head, in a 16 ounce Sam Adams glass.
If there's more head, there's less residual carbonation. Those bubbles have to come from somewhere and in this case it is indeed a zero sum game.

Is this happening on more than one keg?

Cheers!

Looks like a perfect pour from here :mug:
I don't think your dispensing system is the issue.

Did the two cranky brews use new-to-you recipes or techniques?
Also, no chance you lost track and the two kegs have only been on gas for a week or so?

Cheers!

No, been on for a while. Just not as carbed as I would like. I wonder if there is something taking the co2 out of solution on pouring. Creating a good head, but flat mouth feel. I'm nervous about kegging the beer that just finished fermenting. I'm thinking about bottling it, just to have the right carb level.

I used the beer smith formula to determine the line length.

Length=(psi-1)/resistance.

Wouldn't doubling the length increase the resistance too much? I would think that would take more out of solution.

I'd say, no. Barrier-lined is another story - the Bev Seal Ultra 235 stuff needs a lot more length than any calculator comes up with. I used to think it was because it isn't a true 3/16" ID but there's conflicting information on that...

Cheers!

Back