Low ABV summer (lawnmower) beer recipe/ingredient ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dig the centennial blonde that's on here. I do up the ibu slightly as well has dry hop it though. I've used Belgian ale yeast in it too without the dry hop and that also is a nice summer sipper.

One of my favorites is a kumquat wheat pale ale.
3.75 lbs Pale malt (41%)
4.6 lbs malted wheat (50%)
13 oz munich 20L (9%)

.25 oz amarillo @ 60 min
.5 oz amarillo @ 15 min
.75 oz amarillo @ 3 min
.75 oz amarillo @ Flameout
us 05/wlp001/etc...

2 lbs who Kumquats (about 48 or so) in secondary/in keg

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.010
IBU: 21
SRM: 52
ABV: 5.6%

mash @ 152 F for 60 min
prepare kumquats by slicing in half and remove the seeds. Allow 7-10 days of secondary (in keg or carboy) before serving/bottling.

You can dryhop with citra or more amarillo and leave out the kumquats, too, if you don't dig on fruit beers. Kumquats are very tart thus making this beer a very nice one to enjoy on a hot summer day.

I brewed a Scottish 60-/ that's a perfect lawnmower beer. 3.1% and malty, but very dry and refreshing.

OG 1.032
IBU 12
SRM 13

5 lb 8 oz Golden Promise
8 oz C60
6 oz C120
4 oz C40
2 oz Chocolate Malt

.65 oz EKG 4.8% @ 60

WLP005 British Ale

Mash at 158° for 60 min

Ferment at 64°F

Mine fermented out and dropped crystal clear in 6 days. Fastest I've ever gone grain to glass.

I have that one and BM's Centennial Blonde on tap right now and they're both fantastic for the hot weather.

I was looking to make a Scottish ale for summer. What keg pressure do you carbonate them too and what serving temp?

I know usually they are warmer (55 degrees) and 1-1.5 vol of Co2, but didn't know if that changed when serving for summer.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

To avoid fizzy water try mashing hotter e.g. 154 and try about 5 percent Carafoam. That will normally work for converting an existing recipe to a lighter version. Lower ABV with better body and head retention.

I agree with the idea of Belgian Table beer.. For mine I try to go 50-50 Pils and Vienna and use Perle hops.. Yeast is either WLP530 or Wyeast Abbey.. Mash high at around 155.. I also like a summer saison with Lemon and Grains Of Paradise.. This one gets Pils- Vienna- FlakedWheat at 70-20-10% ratio and use French Saison yeast.. Mash high at 158 as th yeast will eat everything no matter what..

Have you considered a Berliner Weisse?
Here is my take on the style. The tartness adds a very refreshing character that is supported by the Mandarina Bavaria hops. This comes in at a shallow 3.3% ABV.

60% German Wheat Malt
30% German 2-Row Pilsener Malt
6% Carapils
4% Acid Malt
30 minute Mandarina Bavaria addition to get 6.5 IBU
5 minute Mandarina Bavaria addition to get 1.5 IBU
Pitch WLP630 - Berliner Weisse Blend and ferment between 65F and 70F depending on the amount of phenolic you want.

1.030 OG
1.005 FG
3.3% ABV
8 IBU

Last edited:
Have you considered a Berliner Weisse?
Here is my take on the style. The tartness adds a very refreshing character that is supported by the Mandarina Bavaria hops. This comes in at a shallow 3.3% ABV.

60% German Wheat Malt
30% German 2-Row Pilsener Malt
6% Carapils
4% Acid Malt
30 minute Mandarina Bavaria addition to get 6.5 IBU
5 minute Mandarina Bavaria addition to get 1.5 IBU
Pitch WLP630 - Berliner Weisse Blend and ferment between 65F and 70F depending on the amount of phenolic you want.

1.030 OG
1.005 FG
3.3% ABV
8 IBU

Absolutely! I tend to forget the Gose styles I make and keep on tap year round are quite low ABV% . Great point. Mandarina Bavaria sounds interesting....new hop to me.

I've never made a "lawnmower beer" like this before, so I figured this would be a great time to use some 34/70 dry lager yeast I've got stashed.

What does everyone think of this recipe? Trying to keep it relatively simple, but still flavorful. Trying to aim for a lawnmower Oktoberfest-ish style beer.

5.5G batch
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: 1.007
ABV (standard): 4.07%
IBU (tinseth): 21.51
SRM (morey): 3.35

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
5 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 66.7%
2 lb German - Vienna 37 4 26.7%
0.5 lb American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 6.7%
7.5 lb Total