Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Played the other day, meh, but had fun! Ledt 7 strokes out there with the putter. Winter putting has been tough this year.

Played the other day, meh, but had fun! Ledt 7 strokes out there with the putter. Winter putting has been tough this year.

Was it frozen? I thought CO was cold right now?

Know where it's not cold? Clearwater FL! Quite warm this afternoon, so my son and I went out and hit a round. We got stuck behind a pokey family (literally, dad mom and kid) and only finished 16 before the sun came down. I use yellow balls for late rounds - I find them easier.

$15 golf - can't beat that.

upload_2020-2-9_21-58-49.png

Was it frozen? I thought CO was cold right now?

Know where it's not cold? Clearwater FL! Quite warm this afternoon, so my son and I went out and hit a round. We got stuck behind a pokey family (literally, dad mom and kid) and only finished 16 before the sun came down. I use yellow balls for late rounds - I find them easier.

$15 golf - can't beat that.

View attachment 665936

How do I dislike someone's post?

It's cold, wet, and miserable up in NYC, and it's only getting worse. Thankfully, at least the simulator place I've been going has a full bar. ;)

Hasn't stopped here either. Sucks, a foot, then 4 more, then 4 more, then 3 more...

No it wasnt to frozen. I think Flordia is one of the few states that outshine Colorado. Used to be expected to keep a secret, but word is out. Its nice here. This has been a miserable winter, but Ill be golfing in a week or two. It gets hot, goes from 70 to 20, snows, melts. Then our spring comes and its the worst time of year imo. The winds get stupid strong and march is our snowiest month. Good time to ski and golf in same day.

Looks nice in Clearwater. I could move. I love it here, but honestly gettimg tired of the cold.
20200212_175736.jpeg
20200207_170248.jpeg

Hit a round this morning - 7am tee time. Hazy all day, but mid 70's so very comfortable. Lots of water holes - two in pictures below. First one, the green is behind that lake there. It's drivable, but if you can't keep it 250 in the air you'll end up in the drink. Second one is a 160 yd par 3 with water on the left - we all hit it on the green (or fringe) today.

We were off the course by 10:45. Nice way to get the day started :)

upload_2020-2-13_12-11-23.png

upload_2020-2-13_12-11-41.png

Last edited:
Hit a round this morning - 7am tee time. Hazy all day, but mid 70's so very comfortable. Lots of water holes - two in pictures below. First one, the green is behind that lake there. It's drivable, but if you can't keep it 250 in the air you'll end up in the drink. Second one is a 160 yd par 3 with water on the left - we all hit it on the green (or fringe) today.

We were off the course by 10:45. Nice way to get the day started :)

View attachment 666358

View attachment 666359
1st pic is a spitting image of Jimmy Clay #1 here in Austin. Tried driving it once..yeah, only once. [emoji6]

1st pic is a spitting image of Jimmy Clay #1 here in Austin. Tried driving it once..yeah, only once. [emoji6]

I gave it a shot today. Had a really nice drive, got up high, came down 10 or 20 yds short into the water. Took the drop/penalty and ended up with a bogie I think. I normally play the hole properly, but my drives were banging this morning, so I gave it a shot. Who am I kidding, haha.

I was on that exact green one time, putting, and a ball came over the water and bounced onto the green and right up to the cup. Incredible shot, but I was a little peeved. The dude caught up with me on the next hole and apoligized - apparently he was attempting to put it up the fairway and had an awful, errant shot, that somehow flew the lake and nearly earned him an albatross.

I love the "Love Golf" thread.....
While Passedpawn laments his errant drives, I'm lamenting 16 below with winds approaching 35 mph and windchill factor of minus 36 degrees.
Enjoy your game...…..:mad:

I gave it a shot today. Had a really nice drive, got up high, came down 10 or 20 yds short into the water. Took the drop/penalty and ended up with a bogie I think. I normally play the hole properly, but my drives were banging this morning, so I gave it a shot. Who am I kidding, haha.

I was on that exact green one time, putting, and a ball came over the water and bounced onto the green and right up to the cup. Incredible shot, but I was a little peeved. The dude caught up with me on the next hole and apoligized - apparently he was attempting to put it up the fairway and had an awful, errant shot, that somehow flew the lake and nearly earned him an albatross.
Fricking REAL golfers. We were about 25yrds in front of a green when a ball came landing and rolled between me and a buddy. Looking back bewildered, dude was on the blacks and appeared to shrug his shoulders. Its about 340 to the green, a bit up hill and against the wind!

I lose my mind when people hit into me. People have died getting hit with golf balls. Definitely something people don’t take seriously enough

This one time at bear dance. Bear dance is amazing btw, on this signature hole with the pin right where it is on the expanded pic, I put one on the green with people on it. Everyone hit and their balls werent going anywhere. So they started goading me to hit. I was like, no, I think I can get there. But their shots didnt fly well so I figured ok. Sure enough roped one either over the last bunker or bounced over and it rolled up through their legs. Ha, I started yelling leave it alone. It rolled up the hill and back to about 18 inches. Once up the hill there is no way to keep a putt on green. My friends and I always say a shot like that deserves a nice shot. But the dudes on the tip who can carry it on 300 all day is different. I apologized, and my friends had to to take some blaim for pushing me into it. I have been surprisingly pushed to hit on many greens. One time maybe two someone teed my ball up when I found it.

Come to think of it as I write this I played there once with my fil. And he and his buddies started goading me. And I told them I had reached. A little down wind I actually carried it near green high missing far right, no doubt. They got a kick out of it, like wow, he can hit it pretty far. I was pissed, ruined my shot. I keep a little on reserve but I am not long by any stretch.

Thats not the same as 220 out and balls flying into....or 2nd shots into green while still on it. Just you know, purposely hitting into. This one day this kid hit into a green I was on 3x in a row. On the first time I threw my hands up like cmon man. 2nd time I was pissed and eyeing him down. 3rd time I picked his ball up and threw it as far into deep weeds as I could. He stayed waaay back and later we were near eachother and I was like how about an effin apology jerk. He says I dont understand why you threw my ball. Yeah, right. I always apologize and 275 yard 3 woods or whatever is a fluke and I always say sorry. I have friends that I always have to be like, dude you have to wait.

We have this friend who is always threatening hitting into. Haha, has a dozen sayings that go with it....he needs an earing, buzz em, speed em up, fly one over them, something to think about, roll one into them, send a message and on and on. He never does, but he also never stops talking about it. I have seen people hit balls back at group.

Reminds me of a joke, anyone slow in front of you is a hack and anyone fast behind you is a maniac.
I lose my mind when people hit into me. People have died getting hit with golf balls. Definitely something people don’t take seriously enough
Screenshot_20200216-103854_Google.jpeg
Screenshot_20200216-103836_Google.jpeg
Screenshot_20200216-103817_Google.jpeg

I think the highest elevation I've ever played was Vegas which is half the elevation of Denver. 99% of my courses have been under 600' and close to a cold ocean.

It does fly far here. I may have forgot to put that caveat in there, thought I did. It flies and the ground can be firm. If you can carry a ball here 300 in the air then those can finish much further in dry conditions. I only carry it about 250 here. Used to be closer to 275 but not really anymore. I think thats 230ish carry at sea level in florida.
I’d be bombing 300 yarders all day at that Denver altitude. That would be fun because I hit em straight

That sounds pretty awesome. Playing by the sea must be amazing. If you can play in those conditions then a nice colorado fall day would be less challenging. I meet players from sea level and they really spank it here. Its like their normal swing speed is so much more powerful, and it needs to be. The ball flies so well here that I never really had much of a need to really get after it. If you hit a 7iron 170 at sea level, you would probably hit it closer to two bones here. Challenge is to realize that 3 or 4 iron is all you need.

How does Florida compare to north where you are? It goes no where in florida.
I think the highest elevation I've ever played was Vegas which is half the elevation of Denver. 99% of my courses have been under 600' and close to a cold ocean.

Last edited:
Coldness will kill the ball. It'll be obvious on those days where the ball drops like a dead bird. Push your ego aside and it can work for you because you really have to go after it to be off your mark. Wind is always a killer. Once you get into the heat, the ball pops and that really affects distance. We never really dry out here. Thats the big advantage at Vegas and I'm sure the mountains where you get a lot of bounce off the fairways.

Edit: speaking of sea level, Newport has been opening every other week and there's been a couple of forecasts in the 50's. I ****ed up my foot and hope to test it out soon. Been meaning to hit the range lately

Coldness will kill the ball. It'll be obvious on those days where the ball drops like a dead bird. Push your ego aside and it can work for you because you really have to go after it to be off your mark. Wind is always a killer. Once you get into the heat, the ball pops and that really affects distance. We never really dry out here. Thats the big advantage at Vegas and I'm sure the mountains where you get a lot of bounce off the fairways.

Edit: speaking of sea level, Newport has been opening every other week and there's been a couple of forecasts in the 50's. I ****ed up my foot and hope to test it out soon. Been meaning to hit the range lately

Just got off the range myself. My oldest boy and I played a putting game for over an hour, after it got dark there. We play "horse", like in basketball, but with putting. It's kinda fun and takes the drudgery out of putting practice.

A good friend of mine always had a game of horse putting before our round. It was 2 ball on a 9 hole putting green. I could play that all day. Gets your juices flowing. We use to go to the driving range during the week and drive between flags. Keeps your concentration on accuracy, rather than distance. Good practice and trash talking

A good friend of mine always had a game of horse putting before our round. It was 2 ball on a 9 hole putting green. I could play that all day. Gets your juices flowing. We use to go to the driving range during the week and drive between flags. Keeps your concentration on accuracy, rather than distance. Good practice and trash talking

I just got a new Ping putter with one of those really soft inserts on the face. Sooooo soft. I have been hitting short a lot since I got it. I have to concentrate on stroking THROUGH the ball, nice big stroke, and not just a weak stab at it. I think eventually it will be a better putter, but it's taking some "getting used to".

It does fly far here. I may have forgot to put that caveat in there, thought I did. It flies and the ground can be firm. If you can carry a ball here 300 in the air then those can finish much further in dry conditions. I only carry it about 250 here. Used to be closer to 275 but not really anymore. I think thats 230ish carry at sea level in florida.
You just made my day. When it's not 50 and drizzling to make it out again, like almost every fricking day of my weekend all winter long, I'll be looking at that 250yrd drive as 300 now!

I keep hitting my brother in laws rocketballz and the distance with irons is unreal. Sloppy hit mind you, the cavity experience, but I played with em before and remember sloppy miss hit on green is better than precise shat a mile off. I have been wondering, why is my driver distance same as some and my irons 2 clubs off. What was 17, 170ish last time I played. My 7 iron chased up short. Hit and chased short, his 9 iron carried on.

Those numbers are inflated imo but Rory spanks it. They never release full track finder 7iron stats. Its a spectrum and some courses are better suited to some vs other. But yeah when dj is on, he cant be beat. But the strickers of the world win plenty. Its the putting. This guy I know is really good. But at the end of his 30 or whatever he shot was putt after putt he poured in.

They set those up for big numbers. Wet greens and dry fairways.

11th snowiest and 11th coldest February in Colorado history. Finally, finally got out to play. Played good. Had two birdies on front missed two other close ones leaked on back though. A wet slog but pleasant enough and geeens actually held which never happens here like that.

Latest posts

Back